AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my receiver. I'm running a 10 year old Yamaha right now that has no HDMI inputs and I really like the idea of cutting out all those component/optical cables and picking up the new features in the process. Wanted to respectfully get some opinions on upgrading the receiver in general and the models I'm looking at from folks who know more than I do. First, here's my setup/situation.

Small, rectangular living room with low ceilings. Room is setup "longways" with the TV/audio equipment on one of the long walls, the couch on the other long wall facing it, and a recliner on the adjoining short wall (with the other short "wall" being the main entry hall).

Audio: I'm running a 10+ year old mid level Yamaha 5.1 receiver (100 watts per) right now (hand me down) that has no HDMI. It's pushing a 3.0 setup of a Polk Audio CS1, and 2 floor standing Kilpsch SF-1s ( http://www.klipsch.com/sf-1-floorstanding-speaker . It's setup in a large hutch cabinet with the center channel on top of the cabinet itself, and the main fronts on each end of the wall.

Peripherals: Samsung LCD "dumb" television. I've got a Scientific Atlantic HD DVR/Cable box with HDMI to the TV and component audio cables to the Yamaha. A Samsung Blu-ray player with HDMI to the TV. To get audio from the BD I've got an optical cable from the TV running to the Yamaha via audio out on TV (no ARC support on TV btw).

I'm looking to spend $350-400 to upgrade my sound. My first inclination is the receiver but I'd like to hear opinions on if I'd be better served by upgrading the speakers instead also. Keeping in of course mind that I have a 3 yr old who sleeps during my main home theater enjoyment time, so the benefit of a sub seems negligible. Should I expect a noticeable difference in audio upgrading to an all digital receiver with the help of Audessey or YPAO but using the same speakers?

I'm looking at upgrading the receiver to go all HDMI into the receiver and one HDMI out to the TV with switching. 5.1 is what I'm working towards and I'm not aspiring towards 7.1 or a dual zone setup. My wireless router is setup in the hutch so networking is a no brainer and wi-fi is not required at this time. My main use is TV/Movies but I do listen to Pandora through the Blu-ray player as well right now so I'd like to have that built in. Not a big apple user so Airplay isn't a deal breaker for me, but I do have an old I-pod I still use so the USB connection is a must.

Currently looking at Denon AVR-1613, AVR-1713 and Yamaha RX-V573, RX-673.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
So it sounds like you have two HDMI devices, the blu ray player and cable box.

The Denon 1613 or any of these other receivers would easily meet your needs.

You can get a refurb 1613 for $219 shipped from accessories4less.com
http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=DENAVR1613&gclid=CKTLnL3Az7YCFQ_ZQgodLAMAlw

That'll leave your $130-$180 to put towards your speakers.

You really should match your front 3 speakers is possible. If you like the Klipsch towers then get a matching Klipsch center. They have some Klipsch C1 and C2 centers on ebay.

Or if you really like the Polk center then get a couple of Polk towers and move your Klipsch to surround duty.

You cant get two Polk towers and a receiver with your budget though. You could get a pair for Monitor 40 bookshelf speakers for $120 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monitor-40-Black-Bookshelf-Speakers-Polk-Audio-PAIR-/390574616252?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item5af00faebc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1468501/upgrading-receiver-for-hdmi#post_23209730

So it sounds like you have two HDMI devices, the blu ray player and cable box.

The Denon 1613 or any of these other receivers would easily meet your needs.

You can get a refurb 1613 for $219 shipped from accessories4less.com
http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=DENAVR1613&gclid=CKTLnL3Az7YCFQ_ZQgodLAMAlw

That'll leave your $130-$180 to put towards your speakers.

You really should match your front 3 speakers is possible. If you like the Klipsch towers then get a matching Klipsch center. They have some Klipsch C1 and C2 centers on ebay.

Or if you really like the Polk center then get a couple of Polk towers and move your Klipsch to surround duty.

You cant get two Polk towers and a receiver with your budget though. You could get a pair for Monitor 40 bookshelf speakers for $120 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monitor-40-Black-Bookshelf-Speakers-Polk-Audio-PAIR-/390574616252?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item5af00faebc

The bold is my thought. I really like the Polk center.

Not sure about the thought of a refurb. I'd probably buy new just for piece of mind. I don't mind waiting to upgrade the speakers if I have to because of $.

I'm seeing the Denon 1613 for $329 on Amazon / Crutchfield. Anyone know who to call for a better deal on new unit?

·
Premium Member
93,219 Posts
The Denon 1713 would be the better choice as it uses the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT found on the mid level "CI" models and also includes Zone 2 pre-outs should you decide to add Zone 2 speakers down the road. Several good choices to "CALL" are avscience.com, Electronics Expo, J&R, and Paul's TV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts