AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals, long-time reader here on the HDTV forums in Colo Springs, first time posting in this amp section though. I have a Denon 2803 model receiver that has been collecting dust for the past few years. I've finally cleared out my basement in the last couple of weeks and made a good smaller home theater room out of it with a 210 gallon lake malawi cichlid tank for decoration, lol. I have a 40" Sony Bravia LCD with a PS3 for my hidef playing options along with 3 pairs of JBL Studio II Pro 3-way speakers, 8" fronts, 6" surrounds, 6" surround-backs, JBL Studio Pro Center, Infinity Interlude IL-120s 500w subwoofer (actually have 2 of these subs, another collecting dust in a closet, and 1 of these will be fine for this 18x18 basement room)

I had a question regarding the new tech receivers out today and HDMI pass-through options. Right now, I mainly just watch/listen to regular HD programs through the TV audio and that's fine, but later when I upgrade to a HDMI receiver, I hope I have the ability to hook up my PS3 and Comcast box via HDMI into the new receiver, and pass it through to my TV via the receiver but **NOT** have to power the receiver on everytime I want to just watch TV? Or is this impossible? I hate having to cut the receiver on every time I want to watch non-surround setup.

Other question is really a recommedation...Onkyo NR-905/906 or a Marantz SR8002 for me? Hifi audio is major for me for consideration, no compressed audio, just CDs, SACDs, lossless AAC, with AKG k701 phones, and Sennheiser 650 phones as well :)

Thanks guys...my wallet and credit cards are already starting to tear up and the thought of this expense. I didn't pay but $600 for that Denon way back when.

Larry

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_keeper /forum/post/14271982

Hi guys/gals, long-time reader here on the HDTV forums in Colo Springs, first time posting in this amp section though. I have a Denon 2803 model receiver that has been collecting dust for the past few years. I've finally cleared out my basement in the last couple of weeks and made a good smaller home theater room out of it with a 210 gallon lake malawi cichlid tank for decoration, lol. I have a 40" Sony Bravia LCD with a PS3 for my hidef playing options along with 3 pairs of JBL Studio II Pro 3-way speakers, 8" fronts, 6" surrounds, 6" surround-backs, JBL Studio Pro Center, Infinity Interlude IL-120s 500w subwoofer (actually have 2 of these subs, another collecting dust in a closet, and 1 of these will be fine for this 18x18 basement room)

I had a question regarding the new tech receivers out today and HDMI pass-through options. Right now, I mainly just watch/listen to regular HD programs through the TV audio and that's fine, but later when I upgrade to a HDMI receiver, I hope I have the ability to hook up my PS3 and Comcast box via HDMI into the new receiver, and pass it through to my TV via the receiver but **NOT** have to power the receiver on everytime I want to just watch TV? Or is this impossible? I hate having to cut the receiver on every time I want to watch non-surround setup.

Other question is really a recommedation...Onkyo NR-905/906 or a Marantz SR8002 for me? Hifi audio is major for me for consideration, no compressed audio, just CDs, SACDs, lossless AAC, with AKG k701 phones, and Sennheiser 650 phones as well :)

Thanks guys...my wallet and credit cards are already starting to tear up and the thought of this expense. I didn't pay but $600 for that Denon way back when.

Larry

Awesome. Another headphone user. I have the Sony SA5000/650/340/240 sextetts M..

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
AFAIK, its impossible. The Comcast will gain nothing in performance by running thru receiver. So in this case, you can use shotgun audio connections, rca stereo to tv, and optical/coax to receiver. And many cable boxes can't pass thru receivers anyways due to lack of hdcp repeaters.

PS3 is the stickler. Because hdmi is required for lossless audio, outside of m-ch analogs, which the PS3 doesn't have anyways. Another side issue with the PS3 is that it does not output shotgun audio (SPDIF + RCA at same time), but requires menu-toggling to do so, AFAIK. I don't own a PS3, but this is what I've learned from an owner of one. Just FYI.

So, it always seems to be about convenience first and performance last. Worst case scenario = having to toggle tv input to change to cable.

For HDMI video from PS3.. you can try the Integra 9.8 pre/pro as it has dual HDMI outputs. Run one to receiver, and one directly to tv? Im just brainstorming.

GL.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
A number of people have tried running HDMI into and out of their TV and it won't properly repeat the audio.

I would think an HDMI splitter is your best bet. I personally use my receiver no matter what the source. More and more programs are using Dolby Digital Surround too.

What part of Springs you from? I live just E of Academy on Austin Bluffs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in the Vickers/Rangewood area...howdy neighbor :) I think with some of the info I have received, I'll just run my Comcast box straight HDMI to the TV, and then my PS3 will probably be split eventually, with one going to TV and the other going into my new receiver so I won't have to power up the amp everytime I play games and so forth.

With reading of all the heat issues and some of these hit-or-miss lip-sync issues with the Onkyo's, I'll just save up for the Marantz; but I will enjoy my Denon for now and many months to come. I watched Swordfish on blu-ray and just the DD signal that the Denon was reading from the optical port sounded C-O-O-L coming out of all 7 speakers; can't imagine the new lossless stuff. My next movie will be the new Die Hard in DTS :)

Thanks...any pointers from people who have the SR8002 with a PS3 I'll gladly jot down for future reference though. PS...I hear were are FINALLY getting USA-HD from Comcrap at the end of the month. I'll see what Burned Notice looks like in HD for a change without having to download it every week now. Now if we could just get CNN and Fox-News in HD to look at the babes in the morning in full HD...not holding my breath on that one anytime soon; we all know Colo Springs is last to get any channels period, and I haven't even mentioned FX-HD or Speed-HD either.

Later...

Larry

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You are literally up the street from me. Nice area.

I am running the PS3 into my Yamaha RX-V2700 using PCM. Works awesome. I can even play DVDs with DTS ES and Dolby Digital EX and it seems to work correctly. Makes me wonder why people insist on receiver side decoding,

I understand not wanting to use your receiver for some things, but you should try out surround sound gaming on the PS3. I always play my XBox 360 with surround sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, just have a 15-amp breaker in the basement, and with all my fish tank equipment running, just don't want to suck up extra power when I don't have to :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts