AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I am needing to buy a new wireless router, the one i have is going fast. I was wondering what everyone is using. This will have a few laptops and 2 computers, a tivo and tvix attached to it. Also a second switch.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Take a look at the D-Link RangeBooster N 650 Router.

It's 802.11n, which isn't a final standard yet, so current gear isn't guaranteed to work with future products. But I think it's safe to buy one now--they've been fairly stable, allow for firmware upgrades, are backwards compatible with 802.11 a, b, and g, and are faster/better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Apple Airport Extreme is the best one I've ever used and I've tried almost all of them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good info. Correct me if i am wrong, N is for wireless right? Faster wireless is great, though i think we are a little ways out from highdef constant streaming. All off my non laptops are wired, so is there anything to look for in that? Or is a router a router for wired?

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98007 /forum/post/12955557

good info. Correct me if i am wrong, N is for wireless right? Faster wireless is great, though i think we are a little ways out from highdef constant streaming. All off my non laptops are wired, so is there anything to look for in that? Or is a router a router for wired?

Yep, 802.11n is wireless.

For your wired devices check to see if they support gigabit Ethernet, it may say something like 10/100/1000. If they do support this you can get a router with GigE support. The new version of the Apple Airport Extreme has 802.11n and GigE.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, the pcs will. Though the Tvix and tivo do not. Tvix new 6500 does not support 1000. hmm so i guess other then wireless, i gain no speed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that wireless standards don't just address speed. For example 802.11G & 802.11A both run at 54Mbps, but can offer very different performance with video. With 802.11n you may gain more than just speed.

·
Registered
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98007 /forum/post/12955741

well, the pcs will. Though the Tvix and tivo do not. Tvix new 6500 does not support 1000. hmm so i guess other then wireless, i gain no speed.

Well, you need two to tango: upgrading a router to 11n won't give you better performance if your laptops are still using 11g adapters; the same as you recognized yourself with Gigabit and 100 Mbps.

11n promises also a better area coverage - up to 6x. But I tested D-Link DIR-655 for this very purpose and didn't get an single extra inch.

What might really interest you is QoS (Quality of Service) - when router recognizes streaming media (video, VOIP, game, ...) and assings its packets higher priority to make it smooth. But implementations are not equal.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter /forum/post/12958929

Implementations depend on brand, model, firmware version. Check these sites:

www.smallnetbuilder.com
www.practicallynetworked.com

On other side they praise DIR-655, but it did nothing for me.

I use DIR-655 too and QoS works very well. Don't forget that aside from automatic settings, you can add custom rules too and give a particular rule a priority from 1 to 255 (1 being highest priority). So you can set up certain ports (like **********) to be low priority or prioritize certain IPs, etc. It's also pretty easy to do with D-Link's config tool.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks all for the good tips. Seems that QOS is going to me more important then any speed gain for wired conenctions.

Whats the deal with netgear? You know i bought a wrt624 way back when they forst came out. 108 speed was the thing to get at the time. Now this router has lasted many years, but know i have to upplug it every now and again to get it to work. Now it seems that netgear is not that good? what happened?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts