Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody - This is my current setup:

Panasonic SA-XR55 (Receiver)

7 Velodyne CHTs (Bookshelf Speakers)

Bic H-100 (Subwoofer)

Used for 50% TV, 30% Games, 20% Movies

I am looking to upgrade the Front 3 speakers, and the reciever. I need a reciever with HDMI 1.3 and one that can accept 3 outputs, the X360, PS3 bd-dvd player, and the DTV Box. Also, is upgrading the Front 3 a good idea since I do not like loud subs? Or should I still look at upgrading the sub? Finally, what do you guys think of today's woot deal for the Front 3? Its only $80 for 2, but I am looking to spend up to $500 for those front 3 speakers as long as the bang for the buck is there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
People that own them tend to really like Energy. Can you go somewhere to hear some to decide?

Your budget would allow you to clone my front 3, pair of Kef iQ1's and iQ2 centre (from Vann's for $400). I really like them.

Lots of other choices, and owners of them will likely recommend them. Go out to some stores for some listening.

Vann's also has the Onkyo606 for $400.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the Onkyo606 represent the best bang for the buck reciever on the market? It seems like overkill for my setup, but if it will improve sound quality and provide me with 3x 1.3HDMI switchers it may be worth the $400

What do you guys think about a B&W CM1 Bookshelf Speakers? Im looking for Bookshelfs, perhaps in the $100-$150 per speaker range ($250-400 per pair)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
If I was spending $400 on a receiver today it would be $350 for a new Marantz 4002 from accessories4less. I would just make sure that my Blu-ray player could decode the lossless audio (which your PS3 does) as the 4002 doesn't.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/15519983

If I was spending $400 on a receiver today it would be $350 for a new Marantz 4002 from accessories4less. I would just make sure that my Blu-ray player could decode the lossless audio (which your PS3 does) as the 4002 doesn't.

Checked out A4L, they have a refurbished Marantz 4002 for $250 which I'd probably get if I went that route.

Would the Marantz provide a better value for me than my other option, the Onkyo SR606? Since the PS3 decodes the lossless audio from Blu-Ray DVD's, I assume I would not need the extra processing power of the SR606? And also, what about inputs such as the DirecTV box and Xbox 360? Would they be better suited with the SR606 because of their lesser decoding capabilities? As far as video with the Marantz 4002, I seem to be set as the 3 boxes I have all output in HDMI 1.3, which the Marantz 4002 seems to accept fine and put out in 1 cable to my Epson 1080UB Pro.

----------------------------------------------

As far as a subwoofer, I currently have a Bic H-100, which seems to be one of the best values for the money. If I do not want more sound from my subwoofer, is there a reason to upgrade? Because even the Bic makes more sound than I could use.

----------------------------------------------

Finally, as far as speakers, I am set in upgrading my front 3, which are Velodyne CHT's, to far superior Bookshelf Speakers. I am in South Florida, and I do not see many places that I can go to test speakers in person. Therefore, I am looking to purchase speakers at a max price of $300-400 a pair but less is better
. Anyways, would such speakers such as Energy C-100's or B&W CM1's be head and shoulders above my speakers? Basically, I am looking to get an echelon of speakers that will provide me with a big upgrade no matter what brand I get within my budget.

Also, if possible, I would like to get my equipment used/refurbished, since I really never see the difference between used/refurbished and new.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commex /forum/post/15523547

Checked out A4L, they have a refurbished Marantz 4002 for $250 which I'd probably get if I went that route.

That's a good price.

Quote:

Would the Marantz provide a better value for me than my other option, the Onkyo SR606? Since the PS3 decodes the lossless audio from Blu-Ray DVD's, I assume I would not need the extra processing power of the SR606? And also, what about inputs such as the DirecTV box and Xbox 360? Would they be better suited with the SR606 because of their lesser decoding capabilities? As far as video with the Marantz 4002, I seem to be set as the 3 boxes I have all output in HDMI 1.3, which the Marantz 4002 seems to accept fine and put out in 1 cable to my Epson 1080UB Pro.

As long as you aren't playing HD-DVDs in the XBox and hoping to get lossless, it doesn't decode. I have no experience with Onkyo myself, so read the reviews and threads here for yourself.

Quote:

As far as a subwoofer, I currently have a Bic H-100, which seems to be one of the best values for the money. If I do not want more sound from my subwoofer, is there a reason to upgrade? Because even the Bic makes more sound than I could use.

If you are happy with what you have, stay with it. Explore when you feel a NEED to upgrade.

Quote:

Finally, as far as speakers, I am set in upgrading my front 3, which are Velodyne CHT's, to far superior Bookshelf Speakers. I am in South Florida, and I do not see many places that I can go to test speakers in person. Therefore, I am looking to purchase speakers at a max price of $300-400 a pair but less is better
. Anyways, would such speakers such as Energy C-100's or B&W CM1's be head and shoulders above my speakers? Basically, I am looking to get an echelon of speakers that will provide me with a big upgrade no matter what brand I get within my budget.

Not familiar with either of those speakers (or you Velodynes). There was quite a run on the C-100 as they were yesterday's Woot deal at $90/pair.

The other speaker on my short list when I bought last year was the DefTech ProMonitor 1000 (and ProCenter2000).

Quote:

Also, if possible, I would like to get my equipment used/refurbished, since I really never see the difference between used/refurbished and new.

Speakers last a long time as long as they aren't abused. The KEFs at Vanns are about as good as used pricing.

I've never gone refurbed, but any of those who have I've only heard good reports.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 /forum/post/15523654

These get great reviews: http://www.axiomaudio.com/m3.html

And even though ID, people let you come to their house to audition.

Here's the link to the audition list, with several names in Florida.

Axiom just didn't work for me because the bookshelves are rear-ported.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, so before dealing with the Front 3 Speakers, I decided I might aswell get this receiver since I need it now.

My setup:

DirecTV Box (Via HDMI)

Xbox 360 (Via HDMI - Just for games, no playback from HDDVD)

PS3 (Via HDMI)

I will use HDMI to output both the video and the audio.

My two receiver choices:

Marantz 4002 - $250

Onkyo SR606 - $300

My Projector: Epson Home Cinema 1080UB Pro

They both have HDMI 1.3, but the one thing that concerns me with the Onkyo is the massive amount of heat it seems to radiate given the reviews.

Before dealing with the speakers, do you guys think the extra $50 to go with the Onkyo is more than worth it? Or should I just stick with the Marantz? Apparently the distinction of the Marantz brand only happens with the higher end reference equipment, so they both seem like good options, I'm just wondering if it is worth the extra $50 to get the extra features of the Onkyo SR606 (The Audyssey audio equalizing seems nice, but its only 2EQ which apparently isnt amazing, so other than that)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts

Quote:

Not familiar with the Energy's but if you can get the B&W CM1s for $400 a pair you better grab it. They are MSRP about 1k a pair. Perhaps you are seeing a price per speaker? I personally love the sound of the CM series, very nice for a small speaker. My favorite bookshelf I've listened to so far.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vili /forum/post/15529326

Not familiar with the Energy's but if you can get the B&W CM1s for $400 a pair you better grab it. They are MSRP about 1k a pair. Perhaps you are seeing a price per speaker? I personally love the sound of the CM series, very nice for a small speaker. My favorite bookshelf I've listened to so far.

Yes, it was per speaker not per pair
Thanks for clearing that up.

Any ideas on the receiver dilemma?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts