AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just ordered my first DVD player, a Panasonic CP72K.

My current (out-of-date) system is as follows:

Magnavox TP3272C TV, Profesionally Calibrated

Mitsubishi U770 S-VHS VCR

JVC single disc CD Player

NAD 1600 Tuner/Pre-Amp

Adcom GSP-560 Pro-Logic processor with 3-channel center/rear amps

Parasound HCA-800II 90W/ch Amp for main speakers

Adcom GFA 545II 100W/Ch Amp for subwoofer

Celestion MP1 Ceiling mounted compact main speakers

Celestion Centre2 center channel speaker

Boston Voyager ceiling mounted rear speakers

Self designed and built dual subwoofer

At the time I bought them, most components were highly regarded in one publication or another for entry level audiophile equipment. They were used frequently at the time, but rarely now for anything but kids movies.

So, I'm looking for an inexpensive A/V option to replace one or more of the preamp/tuner/processor/amp functions I have. Something with a street price of about $400 would be about right. Given the infrequent use, the quality does not have to match the previous system. Compatibility with the current standards is more important.

So, what are the best options for me?

Should I somehow take advantage of the CP72K's built-in digital decoders?

Is there an inexpensive processor with 3 integrated amps to replace only the GSP-560 so I can re-use my other amps and preamp/tuner?

Should I just go for the simplicity of a receiver? I see some with reasonable street prices around $300-$350 like the JVC RX-8020VBK and Pioneer VSX-D811S. These seem to support most every current format and also have pre-outs in case it is desirable to use my existing amps instead of the built-in ones. Are these overkill? Can I get away with something less expensive given what I have already?

If I can save money with a cheaper component, that would be ideal. I'm guessing even the entry level items are better than the Adcom Pro-Logic I have now...

Any opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'd recommend, since you have all that equipment, the HK 520. Probably can get one soon for $500 bucks. The reason I recommend this is that it has outstanding amps and it has both pre-outs and MAIN INS. That will give you the most flexibility with your current equipment. You will be able the HK as a processor and preout to your other amps or you could sell some of your amps to someone like me and use the HK amps after you figure which one you like best.

Now, I probably get killed by everyone else here if I don't mention that you could get a nice new processor tuner, Rotel comes to mind and stay completely seperate since you obviously have some bucks in your stuff. But, the HK has a lot of flexibility if you want to stay with less expensive equipment.

I'd buy that parsound amp for my system if its still in good working order!

You can take advantage of the Panasonic's built in processor with the HK 520 also. But, I'd bet the 520 is just as good or better with the processing. It has Logic 7 (which is great), DPL2, and DTS:Neo 6 - all good analog processors and many people loving the L7. The only thing it doesn;t have is DD-EX. But, I'm not sure you'd notice.

Now, that brings up an interesting thought. You need to read the long thread on this forum about the HK 520. I was a big part of it. Do a search.

DarylL had a good suggestion about using old processors to get DD-EX even though you don't have it. You should read the forum if your interested in the HK and going to 7 speakers. Anyway the HK has 5 amps but has processing capability for seven speakers and the sub.

Good Luck - I'm sure there is myriad other options.

Mike

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love to get even the HK AVR320, but even that one is a bit over my spouse-approved budget after shipping. I'm hoping to get something useable with reasonable quality for $400 or less to my door, preferably $300-$350. The Pioneer AVX-811D is the front runner right now since it can be had delivered for $300-$330, and possibly the HK 320 if I can swing it.

All my stuff is in great condition:) I even have most of the original boxes and manuals. I'm not sure which pieces I will part with. I really like the Parasound amp with the handles, attenuators and A/B switching but if I don't need it perhaps I can make up some of the cost of a better receiver as you suggested... I'll need to keep one of my amps for the subwoofer I assume, so the other amp, CD player and preamp/tuner could all be sold or ebayed I suppose....

Pardon my ignorance- 6.1 is 3 front, 3 rear and a sub.? Where does the 7th speaker go in 7.1? I can easily add a third matching rear speaker as I have another pair of the Boston Voyagers...

Also, would someome please give me a brief primer or link on DD-EX, DTS-ES and Neo:6. I know they are basically the previous formats with one additional rear speaker channel. Are these replacing current formats, or just enhancements to them? Everything is backward compatible with DD and DTS, should I decide not to get a receiver with EX and ES?

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.