AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading my old Sony DVD player to one of the new universal Denon players. The Sony was a good DVD player when I got it but it's probably 5 years old now. How will the audio on the Denon compare? Anyone had both players and done some audio/video comparisons?

John

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
I have the Sony 7700 which I stopped using for a HTPC. I then stopped using the HTPC for the Denon 3910. If you can take advantage of the upscaling you are getting a useful upgrade (more so as your image size increases). Audio wise I don't think you would notice a night and day difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used the search tool and came across this thread which is exactly what I was looking for :)

I am in the same situation. Recently bought a Sanyo Z3 projector, and was thinking about getting a new dvd deck. Using the Sony DVP 7700 which is great. Using 576i atm, but I was wondering if I should go for a HDMI deck.

Any suggestions for a DVD player, besides the mentioned Denon 3910, that will be worthwhile upgrade for my setup?

Great forum btw, couldnt do without!

/claus

·
Registered
122 Posts
I upgraded from a Sony 7000 in the not too distant past to a XP30. The 7000 (predecessor to the 7700) was a classic machine, but compared to the XP30, not that good.

My XP30 is on the fritz, so now I have upgraded to a 3910. The audo, for me, on the Denon is a big improvement over the 7000 and the XP30. I did not hear any audio difference between the 7000 and the XP30.

I find the 3910 better than the XP30, but not by the same margin of improvement as the move from the 7000 to the XP30.

The jump into progressive, I believe, makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I'm going to have to try out the Denon 2910. There's quite a pricedifference between the 3910 and 2910 in Denmark. As far as I can tell there's the same faroudja 2310 chipset in those 2 models. Only concern I have is all the stories I read about macroblocking problems.

Guess an A-B comparison with my "old" sony 7700 is the only real way to tell if its a worthwhile upgrade :)

In this test I think I'll include the Samsung HD945, because I want to see the difference between an inexpensive HDMI player and a medium priced.

If anyone tried these mentioned setups on the Sanyo Z3, please post :)

Thanks for input so far though.

/Claus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.