AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a set of Aerial 10t, CC3, SR3 and SW12. It is driven by a B+K Ref 20 and Outlaw 5ch amp. So far I have been very happy but I want MORE, particularly upgrading to a 7.1 setup. Also, it has been repeatedly noted that while the Outlaw is a lot of bang for the buck, it is not quite up to the Aerial 10T's demands.

My thoughts are this, as I am on a budget. Pick up a used Lexicon MC1 or DC2 (currently about $2k), and then get a used 3 channel amp, something like a Classe (hopefully ~$1500-2000), to drive the 10T and CC3. Alternatively I could use monoblocks of some kind? I would supplement the rears with some Model 5s.

Any thoughts on this? Would someone recommend another path or components?

Thanks!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi Ham

I would recommend keeping the B+K 20 for now and spending the money on better amplifiers. The Aerial 10T is a great speaker but needs high power solid-state amplification, Classe works great with Aerial’s, to sound their best. After you recover from that upgrade, you can go for the 7.1 setup with a different pre-amp. The other thing I would recommend is the Model 6 over the 5 for your additional speakers. These would do a much better job for rear speakers than the Model 5. These are just my opinions and I’m sure others will make additional suggestions. You really need to decide if the upgrade to better amplifiers would make a bigger improvement than going the 7.1 setup.

Earl

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am quite satisfied with the Ref 20, the decision to upgrade to the Lexicon (or other) is based on my needing to do something to get the extra rear channels going as it is a 5.1 prepro.

I appreciate the input re order of upgrades. I was actually thinking of keeping the Outlaw to power the rear 4 speakers and getting a separate amp to power the 10Ts and CC3. Do you agree this is a good strategy? It does seem like a bit of overkill to have a really awsome amp driving SR3s and Model 5s.

Any specific recommendations re the Classe line? Or are there other amps I should consider as well? I'm hoping to pick one up on Audiogon etc.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
448 Posts
There are plenty of good deal on used Lexicon's out there. I think that once you hear Logic 7, you will be glad you made the switch to 7.1. You can even get used MC-1's for around 2200-2400. I would recommend it over the DC series id you can find it and its in your price range.

·
Registered
167 Posts
ham,

Your thinking is accurate. I have a B&K 307 and Aerial 10T's and a CC3. I first upgraded to a B&K 3 channel amp and it was a big improvement. But, not being satisfied, I upgraded again to a Bryston 6B 3 channel amp. Another improvement, although not as much as going to the B&K (I sold the B&K 3 channel amp). The 10T's do respond to better amps. Many have recommended Classe, but I like my Bryston, although I haven't heard the Classe. For the type of power the 10T's need, you may have to spend more than 2k if you want Classe or Bryston, even used.

Like you, i am considering the Lexicon MC-1 because of the Logic 7. Let us know what you decide.

Greg

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you think the CC3 can be handled by the Outlaw or would it be best served with a 3 channel amp?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ham,

I have a Parasound HCA 2205a for sale. 220 watt per channel THX certified and in excellent condition.It will definetly drive 98% of the speakers out there with grace, and control. If interested give me an e-mail.

Steve Morgan
[email protected]

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ham,

I think the Outlaw would be fine for the rear speakers but I wouldn’t use it for the CC3. I think it is important to have the same power and type of amplifier for the front 3 speakers. If there is a difference in amplification between the front L,R and the Center the sound quality in both timber and dynamics would change as the sound pans across the screen. The CC3 will also handle about 75% of the front soundtrack. I do recommend Classe with Aerial speakers but they don’t make a 3 channel amplifier, my next recommendation would be Bryston amplifiers. Bryston sound very good with Aerial’s and they make a very good 3 channel amp that you should be able to find used at a reasonable price. If you want to spend the money for new amps the Classe CAM200 monoblock is a fantastic sounding amp at a really good price.

Earl

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Hi Ham:

I've been down a similar path. I have the 10ts, and went from a CC3 to a CC5. I had 2 SR3s, and went to four.

I also went to the Lexicon MC-12B. The stereo subs sound superb (Velodyne HGS-18s). But here's what I can offer by way of comment.

1. When I went to 7 channels, I swapped out a Krell KAV 250A3 for a KAV1500 (now discontinued). This is a beast of an amplifier, which can still be found new or just about so for just over $4000 (MSRP $8500). It has 300wpc, and truly made a distinct difference.

2. The Krell needed service, and I had the use of Sunfire Cinema Grand, at 200wpc. A good performer, but not in the same league. I'm very pleased now that the Krell has returned home. This is an outstanding combination, and this particular amp has more wattage than anything Krell ever put out in a multichannel. It is ungainly in size, however, so it was discontinued.

3. I found a big difference in going from two surrounds to four surrounds. A lot of this was attributable to, for the first time, having surrounds placed to the sides, as opposed to the rears. It's always better with four, but I found that two surrounds were best placed to the sides.

4. Logic 7 makes cd playback a new experience. Nevertheless, the best sound you're going to get out of that setup is in multichannel sacd and dvd-audio.

Good luck.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, how much power do the fronts need? is [email protected] 8ohms-> [email protected] 4 ohms enough or should I try for >[email protected] 8 ohms? Any specific model recommendations in the Bryston line?

Also, can anyone recommend a different speaker besides the SR3 or Model 5 for the rears to mate with the rest of the Aerial system? I'd love to get the same but if I can match the character for a bit less cash that would better appease the powers that be. Or is this foolish thinking to go all this way and chintz on the output device?

·
Registered
167 Posts
A friend was driving 10Ts with a Proceed HPA-3, and felt it underpowered! The proceed is a heckuva amp too. (250W X 3)

How about Cinipro? High power, reasonable price.

Theta Dreadnaught, 3 channel amp for your front 3 maybe an even better option. Mucho $ though.

High power Classe' or Aragon could work well too. I think to get the full bass performance from those 10Ts, you need at least 300-500 watts per channel.

MC-1 a good choice for pre-pro, still not ulitmate 2 channel, though much better than the DC series-

Lex

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
I am using Bryston 4bst's with my Aerial LR5's.

Since Bryston 4bst outputs 240watts at 8ohms and 400 watts at 4 ohms and the Aerials are 4 ohm capable, mine recieve 400 watts which is enough power.

Ash

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone else have any comments re the Cinepro?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.