AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making the plunge and have a WD 120 JB that I'm upgrading into my Sony Ultimate. Question, I'm at the "Connecting to WebTV" page of the upgrage. How long does it sit at this screen. It looks like it is at the connecting stage right now and not moving. Is it reformating the drive? If so, how long does it take to reformat the drive before I see it downloading the parts of the OS, etc.

BTW, I took this 120gb WD (about 6mths old) out of my computer and upgraded my computer with the WD 250JB. The reason I say that is that CompUSA is running a special this week for $200 on the 250GB. Circuit City and Best Buy will honor the prices as well without filling out any goofy rebates.

Thanks,

Erich

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tried to unplug and plug in the phone cord which solved the problem. But now it's telling me my Phone Terminal is broken and I need to call customer service.

Help....

Erich

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by etavadia
I tried to unplug and plug in the phone cord which solved the problem. But now it's telling me my Phone Terminal is broken and I need to call customer service.

Help....

Erich
Make sure the jumpers on your hard drive are set to make it a single/master drive. If you pulled it out of your PC then would suspect that it already is unless you were using cable select.

It's quite possible that your drive does not support ATA security which is required for use in the UTV.

Clip

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
I think you may need to delete the partitions with FDISK from drives used in a computer before you use them in a UTV. That's not confirmed, but it may be your problem if the jumpers aren't. Also, I think the jumper needs to be set to the Master/Single position, not removed when using the JB drive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clip, thanks for the reply.

It does support ATA. It's a new WD 1200JB. I think there's only one number that works. I tried it and after it connects, yellow solid light and all that good stuff, the error pops up to call customer support.

I'm freaking out right now!

Any suggestions????

·
Registered
148 Posts
What exactly is the error message you are getting and when exactly are you getting it? Is it after it's connected to the local number but before it downloads any blocks?

Did you try NetworkTV's suggestion of using fdisk to remove all partitions first?

Are you sure you have the drive set to master/single?

Can someone who knows about WD drives confirm that the JB drives do in fact support ATA security?

Clip

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I see on the message board, it should support ATA security.

The error is right after it connects to MSN. This is usually after I plug and unplug the phone connection several times to get a number that connects all the way through and not stop at 95%. There's only two numbers it cycles through here in Michigan. As soon as it gets connected, I get your phone terminal is not working error and the only option is to power off the unit.

I have begun to reformat the drive and set back to the factory standard by reformatting it by "Writing Zeros to the Drive" Called WD to confirm that would Low Level the drive. I have 7 minutes left before the low level.

I keep reading that LBAs that end in ...5000 won't work. Not sure if that's been confirmed. I do have a drive that is 5000.

thx,

ET

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, just got down low leveling the HD.

It seems I can get connected to MSN since it dials out and finds a couple of numbers in my area. How long should I let it sit at the connecting page. It's at 95% right now for the last several minutes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by etavadia
From what I see on the message board, it should support ATA security.

I keep reading that LBAs that end in ...5000 won't work. Not sure if that's been confirmed. I do have a drive that is 5000.

thx,

ET
Only some WD 120GB drives support security. I think what people said is that the drives with LBAs that end in 5000 do not support security so it sounds like you are out of luck with that particular drive.

Clip

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Talked to WD and they say it does support security.

Also talked to MSN. They registered by SSID on their server. I'm able to dial on the first pass and connect to a local number that is functional according to MSN.

After connecting and logging into MSN it bails on me and says that my internet terminal is bad and needs to be replaced.

This is turning out to be a big nightmare....Any more suggestions?

ET

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgot one more thing. The MSN guys was telling me that their is a ghost image that needs to uploaded to the harddrive through the UTV unit. I tried the reset codes before turning it on and got nothing. Any other codes that I need to set?

·
Registered
10 Posts
im in this boat right now i purchased a wd 120 gb hd model number wd1200JBRTL i need help bad cuz im just stuck on that stupid connecting page aannndd i put the old drive back in and utv has some funky thing when once you try to format a new drive you cant go back.. phew

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're having trouble connecting to MSN. Your SSID needs to be reset through MSN. Call 800-469-3288. They can also get you all the access numbers in your area. I did that and got about 10 numbers in my area. When the unit off, press menu 3 times and type in 217. Go to Access and type in the appropriate numbers. Also, make sure to tell the tech your SSID. You can get that by hitting menu 3x and typing 411.

Good luck,

ET

·
Registered
719 Posts
etavadoa:

As I recall long ago, most people had the best success rates using a fresh from the factory drive. It is not clear what using that drive in your pc first might have done. Since utv does not officially support these upgrades, nobody is certain what the software is really expecting. However, what about the obvious, that you do actually have a problem with the phone connection (phone cable, noisy phone line, etc.).

You could take the box to a friends house and try it there. No need for a connection to a dish during the upgrade phone call.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Not certain you've done this already, but with current Western Digitals pulling the jumper should set it to "Single/Master" which is what the UTV likes.

But, you've also mentioned your WD JB drive ends with the LBA # 000 which as of the moment is not good and may be why your UTV isn't allowing the upgrade...

You will want to verify this using a program called Drive Fitness Test. It will confirm if your drive supports ATA Security. Regardless of what Western Digital OR MSN are telling you...

http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

Good Luck,

David T.

·
Registered
10 Posts
been up for 3 hours now cuz i did the disconect the phone line and reconnect trick. took upgrade system shows 105 variable hours. waitng for locals still but recorde one show and i cant even hear the drive with my ear up to the unit. thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lgodavid
But, you've also mentioned your WD JB drive ends with the LBA # 000 which as of the moment is not good and may be why your UTV isn't allowing the upgrade...

You will want to verify this using a program called Drive Fitness Test. It will confirm if your drive supports ATA Security. Regardless of what Western Digital OR MSN are telling you...

http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
Yeah, I'm thinking that the person to whom he spoke at WD was incorrect and the drive does not support ATA security. Or if it does, not in a way that is compatible with the UTV as it has been noted many times before that drives with that LBA number don't work. The Drive Fitness Test will help be certain that this is the case.

Clip

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay...finally got it to work BUT

I swapped out the JB with 120BB. Still had issues. Talked to someone over at MSN TV (they are definetly the best to work with out of the trio). He reset some numbers on his end so when I called the toll-free, it would pick up servers that would handle my connects. He also told me to take my access card out and do a full reset on the receiver turned off. He also claimed that if you do a full reset with the card in, you could fry the contents of it. Plugged in and still got the infamous 95% connect. Continued to plug and unplug the phone line and WHAM! I got connected and was able to download all the parts in one fell swoop. I'm up and running with my new drive. Took days but was well worth the pain. BTW, I get an occasional insert access card when I turn on the unit. Not all the time. I just take the card our and reset it.

Want to thank all of you for your responses and help on this. Couldn't have done it without you guys.

thanks,

ET

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi etavadia,

I am having the same problem at the "connection" screen for the last 3 days. I am replacing with a Maxtor that I have confirmed does have the ATA security settings. When you talked about getting MSN to reset some numbers, what numbers did they reset? I spoke to someone at MSN today who claimed there was no such thing as them resetting an SSID code. Of course he also read the riot act to me that replacing the disk drive voided all waranties and that they would not support me in anyway because I replaced it:confused:

Was there any definitive fix for you, or did you just keep trying?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bob,

The Drive was not defective. I did try the Maxtor as well and it didn't work for me. As for MSN WEB TV, there's three locations that there techs work out of. Always ask if there in the Dallas office. I seemed to get the best results of the folks there. Willing to help and not reading me the riot act. The phone numbers that they had registered for me were old ones that would connect for just hang. The one tech made me read him my SSID and figured out that I had old phone numbers (???) Not sure why that makes sense. Anyhow, he then reset something on his end where when I called the 800 number it would give the new local server numbers. After connecting and disconnecting the phone cord physically, I finally got it to connect and it started the download. Very painful...

Good luck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.