AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just finished building my Media Player based on my old Asus P5E3 with E8400, 1GB DDR3 1333, NVIDIA 610 GT 1GB, 80GB Maxtor, LG DVD RW, PSU 400W. It does idle with about 75W and running BD rips straight at 80-85W max...

It used to be my old rig (except Q9550 and 7GB ram), it does everything perfect apart of those 85W... I'm wondering if it will be more economical to replace that with Biostar 1037u + GT 610. I can get this board for £56 now.

worth it? or wait another 2-3 years (that's how much it will take to repay difference between my current setup and new board) for maybe more energy efficient design?

·
Registered
112 Posts

I wouldn't bother, in terms of processing power it's more of a downgrade than anything.  Can't you put the computer to sleep when you're not using it?  Once you get to lower power consumption levels you have to deal with *most* power supplies getting more and more inefficient which would reduce the difference in power consumption.  Note that this is highly dependent on your PSU as to how bad that inefficiency gets, but there's a reason that 80 Plus doesn't measure 10% power consumption till you get to the Titanium range

I personally wouldn't spend the money on reducing the computational power on your pc for a small decrease in power, just put it to sleep.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I could see it being more power efficient if you replace the mechanical with a small ssd, ditch the potentially unneeded gpu, and swap to a pico psu.

Personally I would just try the integrated gpu as it should be very similar in performance to a gt 610. Assuming that works out you could potentially sell the gpu and put that money to the ssd and retire that hdd. (judging by the brand and age could potentially fail soon)

I gotta learn to read posts better lol.

Anyhow I wouldn't get a biostar board due to questionable quality. I am actually looking at getting the gigabyte version of that board (GA-C1037-UN) for a pfsense box.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioniS  /t/1526908/upgrading-to-newer-cpu#post_24596669

I'm wondering if it will be more economical to replace that with Biostar 1037u + GT 610. I can get this board for £56 now.

You can ditch GT 610 and save more power. GPU integrated in Celeron 1037u is enough for normal video playback. The build quality of BIOSTAR motherboard is usually good, just BIOS setup is not user-friendly. GIGABYTE GA-C1037UN is quieter.

Efficiency of PSU is also important as mentioned in the second post. Under 18W load (typical power consumption of the system excluding PSU at idle), the difference of, for example, a 85% PSU and a 70% PSU is

18W/0.7 - 18W/0.85 = 25.7W - 21.2W = 4.5W

So actually this is not so big compared to the drastic reduction by changing the CPU/GPU/mb. If you are interested in efficient PSU under very low load, look at picoPSU.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

When I build my set up, I had all parts free as it was leftovers from my upgrade to i5 and LGA 1150 system. Initially I wanted 1037u WITH GT 610 (i do like my 29.97p working properly) and sell off my q9550 together with MB, but after discovering that my wife has "only" e8400, I decided to upgrade hers as well. So... I was left with old MB and old CPU. Call me a Scrooge, but I do like my money on target and I thought why not to try, let see how much it will pull of the grid. Just for fun.

Don't take me wrong. I do like efficiency, but NOT at ALL cost. As I said previously, my system with old HDD, CPU and MB takes only 80W watching BD rip in any quality or mode or file type. First time, I'm not worrying whether it will play or I have to convert it again. My previous Panasonic BDT-120 blu ray player is miles behind...

There is a question of compromise between efficiency and economy of such. Eg.: You have a AAA rating fridge for $150 (but yearly you do 200KWh) or A rating for $140 (but yearly will do only 100KWh). Naturally people will go for AAA, because of "efficiency", but the other one will be cheaper to buy and run. Main point is that we DO NOT PAY WITH EFFICIENCY, WE PAY WITH MONEY.

@pylor - Tell mi how much those 90%+ will cost??? and how long it will take to get your premium back (it will cost "premium" for such efficiency, comparing to normal/cheaper alternative).

@ikkuranus - I would bet that this HDD will out last not one big brand name, it survived few things in its life ;-) where others didn't, but true is that it will take 20W on startup ;-) and 12W to run
. I use to think that Asrock is s**te, but I have now one and after using so many MB from Asus I can say that they can learn thing or two from Asrock, naming PCIex x16 and gap and then other slots. All my Asus MB had the same trouble of 2nd slot being ALWAYS covered with double GFX card. I had MB from MSI, Asus, Gigabyte and only one died - MSI... aswell as UPS was fried, no idea which one to blame, as for Biostar... it's only one I knew that has x16 PCIe (x4 or x8 mode doesn't matter, GT 610 can run in x4 mode fine). Recently, found PCI GT 610 from Zotac, so Gigabyte can be for what I wanted (it's slower on PCI than PCIe x4, but still better than iGPU).

Then.. I saw 2955u Haswell, unfortunately one of Brix models. As far as I can see no ITX for now. No problem with 23.97p, low power... £152. Crap. How much will it take? 30W? So £152/50W difference @ 18pence per KWh... 5 years. Worth it? F***k NO! By the time it will pay off, there will be loads of different models to choose from with better efficiency. As I said.... money is what we pay with.

True is: If my hdd die... I will replace with 2.5" for £10 or old SSD for £15 if I find one. Startup speed is about 25sec from pressing reset to full screen. 5secs of those are bios post - HDD & DVD is running on PATA's additional chip, so there is delay. I will change it to converter PATA->SATA sometime in future, I had spare somewhere, need to find it. PSU... I have PICO knock off, I may try, just to see difference. It was for my NAS4Free, but with 4x3.5" and 1x2.5" HDD it was too messy with cables and converters... As for NVIDIA GT 610 it adds 10W on idle and max of 26W full on, but with OpenELEC it will never see 100% on GPU, so no "economy" there.

If I was for efficiency at all cost then I would prefer to get one of ARM based solutions: 1080p, HDMI etc, etc... but still 23.97 problems, mostly no HD sound, forget about upgrades/changes, etc... good as straight BD player replacement and it's only max 5W, but after sitting on this forum for few days, you WILL want to have better quality in picture, sound etc, etc... Can't fault you guys for that ;-)

I will tinker with my current config with things like: replacing HDD for 2.5" (got spare somewhere), underclocking/undervolting (earlier quick tests found BD mkv play @ 75W with 0.95V CPU and 2GHz (3GHZ original), PICO PSU, just to see if is viable.

OrioniS "The Scrooge"

PS..

@pylor: I've got feeling that you are quite correct... Not really worth it to replace anything, at least at those prices... ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts