AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steup is Aerial Acoustics 7b, cc3, Sr3 for primarily Home Theater use. or save my money and upgrade my projector.


Integra 80.1

Aragon 4004 MkII(3 units)

SIM2 c3xe





Should I upgrade the AMPs to:


1) Upgrade to Classe CA-5200, Dreadnaught iii 225x5 or


2) Upgrade Denon AVP prepro



If i do upgrade which piece should I upgrade first?


Thanks so much in advance for your feedback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,413 Posts
I owned a Aragon 4004... I always found those amps imparting a bright character to my speakers. For amps, I'd try before you buy and see which sounds best and can meet the amplification needs of the speakers you own.


If you don't have lossless capability in your receiver, I might change that out.


Ideally, amps AND SSP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
I've owned tubed, hybrid, and SS amps and pre-amps. In my mind the amp imparted a bigger change in character than the pre-amp- but that's just me. BTW, the Classe stuff is top drawer in my experience. I lusted after one of their pre/amp combos for a while but ended up keeping my Counterpoint pre/David Berning amp. Both (along with my Linn TT) are long gone now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialsound /forum/post/18242365


My steup is Aerial Acoustics 7b, cc3, Sr3 for primarily Home Theater use. or save my money and upgrade my projector.


Integra 80.1

Aragon 4004 MkII(3 units)

SIM2 c3xe





Should I upgrade the AMPs to:


1) Upgrade to Classe CA-5200, Dreadnaught iii 225x5 or


2) Upgrade Denon AVP prepro



If i do upgrade which piece should I upgrade first?


Thanks so much in advance for your feedback.

What is your listening distance? If you don't listen too close or too low, your dynamics will suffer with either amplifier. You really need something with more power than what you are considering and what you have.


I really doubt there will be any audible difference between Integra and Denon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My listening distance is around 12ft. My room is 13w x 22L. I sit facing the 13 foot wall.


It was a formally a Proceed AVP - 2 channel room. Now after many years it has crossover to a strictly Hometheater environment. Just not enough time anymore for myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialsound /forum/post/18243583


My listening distance is around 12ft. My room is 13w x 22L. I sit facing the 13 foot wall.


It was a formally a Proceed AVP - 2 channel room. Now after many years it has crossover to a strictly Hometheater environment. Just not enough time anymore for myself.

Theta will get you to approximately 95 SPL if (and that is a big if) it meets its advertised specifications without distortion. This is loud but not reference level. It is a subjective call. I wouldn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialsound /forum/post/18242365


My steup is Aerial Acoustics 7b, cc3, Sr3 for primarily Home Theater use. or save my money and upgrade my projector.


Integra 80.1

Aragon 4004 MkII(3 units)

SIM2 c3xe





Should I upgrade the AMPs to:


1) Upgrade to Classe CA-5200, Dreadnaught iii 225x5 or


2) Upgrade Denon AVP prepro



If i do upgrade which piece should I upgrade first?


Thanks so much in advance for your feedback.

I would say to improve on your Integra you need to spend substantially more than to upgrade your amps. I would consider staying away from a five channel amp. It makes more sense to spend more on a good stereo amp (or monos) for R/L and then using a decent 3 channel amp for Center and surrounds. I personally use Oddysey stratus mono's R/L and a their (rare) 3channel amp, which works very well for me. It is a big step up from the Aragons, which I also owned, but there are many other options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18243626


Theta will get you to approximately 95 SPL if (and that is a big if) it meets its advertised specifications without distortion. This is loud but not reference level. It is a subjective call. I wouldn't.

Slip of the tongue? Theta too much on your mind? Don't you mean the Integra?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18243454


I really doubt there will be any audible difference between Integra and Denon.

Am I going to be sent to "home theater H-E-L-L" because I agree with this dude?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/18245295


Slip of the tongue? Theta too much on your mind? Don't you mean the Integra?

He was considering the Theta Dreadnaught @ 225/channel.


He needs more raw power than that considering the low sensitivity of his speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18245321


He was considering the Theta amplifier @ 225/channel.


He needs more raw power than that considering the low sensitivity of his speakers.

Ahh! You got me!!!


I am noe in "DOUBLE DOUBLE HT H-E-L-L"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post

I really doubt there will be any audible difference between Integra and Denon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/18245302


Am I going to be sent to "home theater H-E-L-L" because I agree with this dude?

Are you serious?....no audible difference. That leaves more funds for an amp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialsound /forum/post/18243583


My listening distance is around 12ft. My room is 13w x 22L. I sit facing the 13 foot wall.


It was a formally a Proceed AVP - 2 channel room. Now after many years it has crossover to a strictly Hometheater environment. Just not enough time anymore for myself.


FWIW, your two posts (O.P. as thread starter, and also the above) haven't stated what you hope to accomplish, let alone what you think is "wrong" with your HT.


I mean you've mentioned changes to both sound and/or video/projector.


FWIW#2, the best thing that I recently did for my own 5.2 setup didn't cost me anything other than trial and error; and that was to switch my #1 disc player (Denon 5910ci universal player ($4k new)) from 5 small speakers to 5 large speakers, which lessened a very slight sound edginess.


I think that the sound for the 5 speakers no longer goes through a crossover (of course, the bass (LFE) still does, but I cross that over at 40Hz using the players bass management).


Gives a noticeably more pleasing 5.1 sound, with good sounding DVD movies such as Moulin Rouoge (w/Kidman using DTS 5.1).


You might also consider buying a copy of the paperback book: www.getbettersound.com



Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialsound /forum/post/18245483


Quote:

Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post

I really doubt there will be any audible difference between Integra and Denon.



Are you serious?....no audible difference. That leaves more funds for an amp.

I think if you go Integra vs Denon pream/processor at similar price points sound will be similar. Now if you take a $2400 Integra preamp vs a $7000 Denon preamp my bet is you would hear the difference with the Denon at least if you had my Aerial 9s!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialsound /forum/post/18245572


Steve are you still using Theta with your Aerials? Any plans to upgrade?

Still luv my Theta Enterprises (with two Reich connectors per each amp which accomodate paddle spades) and Aerial 9s. No plans to upgrade these period. Ain't gonna happen.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top