AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be having some trouble with my UPN reception in the Dallas area. I'm not sure if this is an isolated, Dallas-only problem, it may not be. Anyway, the channel is KTXADT, 21-1 (virtual 18).

There are two basic problems. First, whenever I view the content in 1080i, the resolution of the broadcast, it causes my Samsung DLP to lose vertical sync and I get two images overlaying each other, overset about 50%. This is quite strange... In 760p, the image is fine. I have this problem on no other channels.

The second problem probably affects more people. They broadcast ST Enterprise in standard ratio, but put black bars on the top and bottom, giving you 16 X 9 viewable. However, the MyHD puts black bars around the top, bottom, left and right when translating. Since the Samsung DLP doesn't allow you to Zoom on DVI/VGA material, I'm a bit stuck viewing the show within a big black border.

Anybody else have these problems? What did they do to address?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Send me a 5 meg clip of the UPN recording to analyze. [email protected]

The native panel resolution of your Samsung DLP is 720p and sending a 1080i video will get converted to 720p by the DLP TV. There may be a problem with your TV, but I'll know for sure when I receive your recorded clip and can test on the same type TV.

The ST Enterprise show is broadcase in "Letterboxed" aspect ratio within a true 16:9 transport stream. You should be able to zoom the image by pressing the Aspect button on the remote and selecting "Zoom". If that does not work uncheck "Auto" in the MyHD Control Panel and try the three different selecting. If that does not work you have one more option and that is to select !6:9 and 4:3 Display in the CP which will provide many more aspect ratio options.

Are you using the DVI input on the TV?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Cliff. Will send you the clip, though it actually plays fine from a recording (go figure...). The clip won't be Enterprise, though that shoudln't matter (affects all UPN programs).

The zoom feature doesn't work, since Enterprise has data on the upper and lower letterboxes (lower half of their logo + black signal). I will try the 4:3 ratio and see if I can play with that at all. It would be nice if you could just select standard/widescreen/zoom on the MyHD like you can with the Samsung. All of the other settings seem to just confuse and not really provide what is needed. However, I realize different hardware has different capabilities...

I am using the DVI input on the TV from the DVI daughtercard on the MyHD-120.

Just as an aside, is MIT planning to come out with a new card which has time shifting or dual tuner? I realize I'm getting greedy here. :D

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"The zoom feature doesn't work, since Enterprise has data on the upper and lower letterboxes (lower half of their logo + black signal). I will try the 4:3 ratio and see if I can play with that at all."

Zoomed 4:3 works for me. Of course the UPN logo will be pushed off screen.

"It would be nice if you could just select standard/widescreen/zoom on the MyHD like you can with the Samsung."

You must have a different Samsung DLP TV than me. When feeding a HD signal (1080i or 720p) via DVI I only have the option for Wide(TV) or Wide(PC). If you set the MyHD Screen Ratio to 16:9 & 4:3 you will have the same thing as standard, widescreen, and zoom output.

MIT can't simply have Standard, Widescreen, and Zoom setting because they have no idea of the aspect ratio of your TV or of the video contect (such as a letterboxed 480i inside a 1080i TS) and giving many options that hopefully the user will try at least once.

BTW, I tried to hint in my last post that it is not necessary to send 1080i to a DLP TV with a native resolution of 720p. MyHD does an excellent job of converting before the output and the TV can feed the signal direct to the light engine with perfect 1 to 1 pixel mapping.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Zoomed 4:3 works for me. Of course the UPN logo will be pushed off screen."

Sounds like 4:3 is the way to go. Never thought of adjusting it, since I have a 16:9 TV.

"You must have a different Samsung DLP TV than me. When feeding a HD signal (1080i or 720p) via DVI I only have the option for Wide(TV) or Wide(PC)."

No, we have the same DLP (though I did get the board upgrade for discrete codes). I was referring to the options available for S-VIDEO inputs. By the way, I have a friend who works for TI who just got the 56" for $3400... Makes me sick... :mad:

"BTW, I tried to hint in my last post that it is not necessary to send 1080i to a DLP TV with a native resolution of 720p. MyHD does an excellent job of converting before the output and the TV can feed the signal direct to the light engine with perfect 1 to 1 pixel mapping."

I honestly see a difference between outputting at 720p and 1080i. I think the DLP has a better converter than the MyHD. Subjective, I realize. Really, I'm just kind of baffled that I get that ghosting effect. The weird thing is that it only happens after watching the channel for a few seconds and only on standard resolution broadcasts (480? broadcast at 1080i).

Any info on whether MIT has a new card in the works?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"I have a friend who works for TI who just got the 56" for $3400... Makes me sick..."

If that makes you sick you will have to visit a doctor when I tell you mine was FREE. :D:D:D

I did spend $200 for the upgrade and $280 for a spare lamp.

The weird thing is that it only happens after watching the channel for a few seconds and only on standard resolution broadcasts (480? broadcast at 1080i)."

Does the same happen with upconverted 480i from say NBC?

If it's on all upconverts you should be able to send me a 5 meg file from UPM quickly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"If that makes you sick you will have to visit a doctor when I tell you mine was FREE. :D:D:D

I did spend $200 for the upgrade and $280 for a spare lamp."

Free!!! Who did you sleep with and how can I get a date?!?

Wow, you definitely have pull. I love my Sammy, personally.

"Does the same happen with upconverted 480i from say NBC?

If it's on all upconverts you should be able to send me a 5 meg file from UPN quickly.

No, just UPN. Every other channel is fine. Our local UPN channel also broadcasts a lot of HDNet content (I think it's partially owned by Mark Cuban) in non-prime time. Right now, there's a HD B-ball game that comes in fine in 1080i. I may not be able to send you a file until ~6 or 7 CST.

I feel that you may be ignoring my pleas for info on a new MyHd model...:p

·
Registered
878 Posts
I am looking at the same ST:Enterprise show in the Dallas area but than using a MyHD-100 (or a Panasonic TU-DST52) and I am recently getting the wednesday showing in 16:9 (no bars). Weirdly enough the saturday rerun is the black boxed version you are discribing. When are you looking at the show?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Acruther,

I have the exact same problem getting the double image with UPN! I am in McKinney TX with a Samsung 567 and a Dish 811 with over the air HD receiver. I thought it was a software bug with the 811. I also only get the problem with UPN. The double image shift occurs most often when low def comericals come on (NTSC). It will stay messed up for about 5 to 10 seconds and then return to normal. But it does occur fairly often...

Jeff

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by beun
I am looking at the same ST:Enterprise show in the Dallas area but than using a MyHD-100 (or a Panasonic TU-DST52) and I am recently getting the wednesday showing in 16:9 (no bars). Weirdly enough the saturday rerun is the black boxed version you are discribing. When are you looking at the show?
Saturday. I just heard from the station manager that I am missing the HD broadcast on Wednesay! Time to switch my viewing habits, I suppose. I wish they wouldn't run it at the same time as Smallville.

By the way, do you have any problems with standard def stuff on UPN at 1080i? Maybe a show like "Living Single" (I don't watch that, but it is an example)? I realize you have a different card, but...

·
Registered
878 Posts
No I have never seen a problem with double images. I do have the output of the MyHD card set at 1080i and I go into my Philips 55" using VGA. I need to do that because for some reason the TV cannot lock to the YPrPb formatted signal in 1080i. I am still planning to investigate that. Do you use a VGA or the YPrPb formatted signal.

Kim

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by beun
No I have never seen a problem with double images. I do have the output of the MyHD card set at 1080i and I go into my Philips 55" using VGA. I need to do that because for some reason the TV cannot lock to the YPrPb formatted signal in 1080i. I am still planning to investigate that. Do you use a VGA or the YPrPb formatted signal.

Kim

DVI. I bought the MyHD-120, along with the DVI daughercard (and happy I did!)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Send me a 5 meg clip of the UPN recording to analyze. [email protected]

Cliff,

Did you ever get a chance to look at that clip from KTXA-DT? I would be interested in speaking with you about it. Email me when you get a chance.

Bill

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cliff,

Don't leave me out of the loop!

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acruther
Cliff,

Don't leave me out of the loop!
Really no need for a loop. I provided Technobill with some Technoinfo about some missing data in the transport stream.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Really no need for a loop. I provided Technobill with some Technoinfo about some missing data in the transport stream.
So there is some data missing from their broadcast? That's interesting. I guess that explains it, though it's weird that the recorded streams play fine.

Thanks for the follow up.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"though it's weird that the recorded streams play fine."

It's my understanding the the MyHD TS Dump Filter can make some error corrections during the capture to HDD.

Some software like DVHSTool can make even more error corrections when archiving to tape.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.