AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having gone from wanting a server-less audiotron to now liking the squeezebox, I'm curious what people think about this attempt to standardize the server software. While streaming lossless audio is my #1 priority, I keep looking around for video support for jukebox & digital picture purposes...and it looks like many of the newest products have upnp.

Philips, dlink, and viewsonic all seem to have some references to upnp. And I saw a post on the streamium site of someone replacing its software with a pending Nero release....

so what do you guys think?

· Registered
188 Posts
We've just added UPnP support (along with WMA and WM DRM10) to the SoundBridge. In fact, we were the featured networked audio player at Microsoft's launch of Windows Media Connect on tuesday. If you're running XP SP2, then Windows Media Connect (Microsoft's UPnP server) is your best bet. It's the most full-featured server out there and supports searching unlike the other available UPnP servers. This allows, on the SoundBridge at least, a much better user experience compared to the simple container browsing that the rest of the field (servers and clients) offers. It also supports video on photos in addition to music.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting.....

Do you know if there will be any addtional formats supported? The MS and rokulabs site don't mention lossless codec support, as moving to WAV files for full fidelity would have serious hard drive implications....

· Registered
188 Posts
WMC wil server up WMA lossless, but no devices currently support it. We're hopeful that we'll be able to add WMA lossless support fairly soon.

· Registered
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RokuPatrick
...It also supports video on photos in addition to music.
Great - so when will the HD1000 support UPnP-AV? I probably won't be viewing too many videos or photos on my Soundbridge...

· Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RokuPatrick
WMC wil server up WMA lossless, but no devices currently support it. We're hopeful that we'll be able to add WMA lossless support fairly soon.
I look forward to WMAL support. My entire collection is ripped to WMAL.

Does anyone know, can WMC generate song meta data from file paths or do the files need to be tagged?

· Registered
188 Posts
We're working on UPnP support for the HD1000.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.