AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've tried 2 different Cyberpower UPS's and with either one I get an alarm blaring from them as soon as I fire up my Yamaha RX-A3050. It does not alarm again once the receiver is running. This happens whether I plug the receiver into the surge side, or the surge + battery side. Can someone please advise on what to do to correct this? Thank you!

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
The in-rush (turn-on) current surge is probably too great for the UPS you have chosen. Try a larger one or different brand. It is curious that it would monitor the surge-only side, but if the line drops when you turn on the AVR that would explain it since the UPS side also sees the incoming voltage drop. The bad news is that it could also be the wiring in your house causing the initial voltage drop...

·
Registered
274 Posts
What type of tone are you hearing?
If beep twice when you turn on the UPS is normal operation, a self-test routine of the UPS.
2 beeps about every 20 seconds usually indicates that the unit is running on battery power.
A long, solid tone indicates there is an overload.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a long tone at the power up of the receiver. The UPS is already running. I guess that does mean an overload. Well since I have 2 of these I'm guessing it may be worth trying the 2nd UPS on the receiver with nothing else plugged into it.

Can anyone make a recommendation for a UPS that handles: a 40" led tv, an Xbox 360, an original Xbox, a Wii, a BlueRay player, a Synology 1513+ NAS, and the Yamaha RX-A3050?

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
What size (VA rating) Cyberpower are you using?

I had an older 52" LCD TV, cable box, PS-4, Wii, Pioneer SC-27, active crossover (dbx), network WAP (but not a NAS), and Oppo 83 on a 750 VA APC UPS and never heard an alarm unless power was out or the battery died.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a Cyberpower 1500AVR, so 1500 VA.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
wow, that seems like it should definitely be enough to handle your gear.

if you're going to buy a new one anyway, maybe just buy a second 1000VA(or 850VA even) for JUST your receiver.

when I bought my f8500, that was the first time I ever 'maxed out' my 1000VA UPS. it only happened when I had the tv, xbox, and receiver going. I guess those were the highest draws.

are you powering down devices when not in use? that could be a cheap solution as well. if you have something like a harmony remote controlling things, have the receiver power up first, maybe that will avoid the spike that's setting off the alarm. and of course, keep everything not being used turned off.

I had, at one time, my HTPC(with 8 external drives), 360, ps3, wii, dvd changer(200disc), cable box, pioneer 1018 receiver, and plasma tv(50" then 64") all hooked up through a 1000VA UPS. I ran into issues with the larger tv, but moving things to the surge only side fixed all my issues. IIRC, everything related to the computer, game consoles, and tv were on the battery side. the dvd, cable box, and some misc chargers were on the surge only.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm going to try the 2nd UPS on the receiver and see how that goes. My only other thought is that this apartment I recently moved into has a wiring issue, thus causing the alarm. But that is just my, possibly error-prone, speculation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have also mentioned that the alarm sounds even if nothing else is turned on.

·
Registered
22,270 Posts
I'd question the need for UPS on an AVR. Its not like a UPS can power the AVR from battery only, so its really only serving a surge protection function, (which any good power strip can do). Likewise for a TV, it has no place on a UPS and will only serve to drain that battery in a flash.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
I use a UPS because we have frequent power glitches and I hate having the equipment rapidly power cycled. It will last maybe 10 minutes or so (longer now since I am using a processor and the amps are not on it). That's long enough to ride out any short glitches and give me time to gracefully power down if it's longer. Having lost a few pieces of gear over the years I found a cheap UPS to be a good investment for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 1st concern is power surge, etc. protection. The battery backup up is more for anything with a hard drive, particularly the NAS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, now things have gotten weird! I plugged only the receiver into a 2nd UPS that itself is plugged into a different outlet. When I turned on the receiver the UPS that does NOT have the receiver plugged into it alarmed. Can anyone provide input on this please?

Reactions: noshank and unclepp

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little more experimentation showed that another wall outlet did not cause any alarms. It appears that the 1st two AC outlets which each had separate UPS's on them may be on the same circuit. Actually, one is basically on the other side of the wall from the other.

So, I'll leave it to those with more electrical experience than I to explain what is happening thus far, but please use laymans terms if/when you do. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
A couple of questions..
1. How old is the house?
If > 30 years old, the wiring may be undersized..
2. What else is connected to this AC circuit?

Keep in mind, if the AC voltage is low and/or if the AC circuit is being loaded down by a higher current component the UPS alarm will be triggered..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I agree with m code. Maybe your getting a brown out in that circuit at start up. Could be under sized wiring.

I use Tripp lite smart1500lcdt's, upc j25's and upc j35's for my home theaters.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I'd question the need for UPS on an AVR. Its not like a UPS can power the AVR from battery only, so its really only serving a surge protection function, (which any good power strip can do). Likewise for a TV, it has no place on a UPS and will only serve to drain that battery in a flash.
not sure what you mean... my receiver will run for several minutes off battery power.

i have mine on the battery side because without the receiver, i have no display. and with no display, it's hard to safely shut things down if i need to. and if i can't shut things down safely, it hardly seems worth having a UPS.

as long as the ups is the right size for your gear, there's no reason not to. i mean, i could run my pc for an hour or two on battery power, but that's not what I bought it for. i don't need it to last through a power outage without any down time. i bought it so that i'll have 5-10mins to properly shut down everything to avoid damage.

as for this issue, definitely sounds like an issue with the household wiring. the alarm is likely indicating that the ups is 'fixing' something. that could be insufficient wiring, an overloaded circuit, or who knows.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Totally wrong.
A UPS can power a TV, AVR, and just about everything. Runtime depends on load, and the UPS VA ratings. Modern LED TVs don't use much power. My 65"TV, plus 2 27" monitors, and a couple of low power devices use only 258 watts.
A UPS can save your TV, AVR during power flickers and brownouts. I've lost equipment during a flickers that were only on a surge protector. Including a side by side fridge that blew a control module twice. That fridge is now on a 1500VA sinewave UPS. It uses 599 surge watts from a cold start. Less than 200 watts normaly. Plenty of runtime.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I recently moved into an apartment building and this place could be 30 years old, but I'll have to check into that. What should I tell their maintenance staff to do, or look for?

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
I recently moved into an apartment building and this place could be 30 years old, but I'll have to check into that. What should I tell their maintenance staff to do, or look for?
U need to find out..
1. Have him check the AC voltage @ each outlet, is it 120VAC?
2. How is the apartment is wired?
3. How many primary 20 amp circuits does it have?
4. Since # of AC circuits are limited, Is the AC unit or refrigerator on 1 circuit? As these are heavy current appliances.

Just my $0.02.. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts