AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1000vA APC UPS which is reminding me to replace the battery now that the battery has been in service for 3 years. If the UPS selftest continues to run OK, can I continue to use the original battery, or is the battery life over at 3 years?

If a new battery is required, does anyone have a recommended supplier?

Thanks.

DonP

·
Registered
36 Posts
The battery life gets shorter over time. You don't have to replace it at three years, but my UPS, which could power my computer for 45 minutes on a new battery could only run for about 5 minutes on a ~4 year old battery before I replaced it.

As for a recommended supplier, try to find somewhere local such as Batteries Plus, since shipping on a heavy battery can be quite expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DonP is right. The battery is a consumable component in a UPS and usually 3 years is the time to start thinking about a replacement. You can continue using it until the entire life is consumed, but just be aware that most UPS's do a self test and if the battery fails this test, the UPS will not turn on until the battery is replaced. Obviously this can be avoided by staying ahead of this and replacing the battery.

I may be biased (owner & operator), but replacementupsbattery is a great source for replacement APC RBC batteries. Retail stores cannot always provide the best price, even with the cost of shipping. Our shipping cost on batteries is offset by lower overhead. Plus, when your business is shipping batteries, you have some great negotiating power with the shipping companies.

Sorry for the drop but I couldn't resist.

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefDon /forum/post/0

I have a 1000vA APC UPS which is reminding me to replace the battery now that the battery has been in service for 3 years. If the UPS selftest continues to run OK, can I continue to use the original battery, or is the battery life over at 3 years?

If a new battery is required, does anyone have a recommended supplier?

Thanks.

DonP

Go to APC's site and find the model number of the battery and then go to ebay and search. The batteries inside our UPS are commodities, but that's not widely known and many take the easy - and expensive - course of buying them from the UPS manufacturer.

And compare with rjessen's recommendation. Remember to look at shipping & handling and tax, if applicable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.