AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there pro/cons? to place a UPS behind the Line Conditioner.

Presently I have a Tripp Lite (ebay) and keeps tripping my

gear off. I think I may have a house electric problem.

Anyway, I'm thinking of putting a UPS behind the Tripp Lite.

Comments Please?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
599 Posts
A UPS is also line conditioner.

It supplies constant power no matter what the power company does.

If the tripp lite keeps triping off your probably drawing too much current

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my Tripp Lite is also a line filter, which from everything I read is

a good thing for noise and picture.

Is there any pro's or con's for putting the UPS behind

the Tripp Lite?

Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think hes referring to a real dedicated home theater line conditioner, the kind that in some cases perform alot better than the power output from the ups. The only con would be that some line conditioners that provide line balanced power and such use quite a bit of power themselves. You have to make sure the ups has enough output to handle this device. Also realize all of these devices are not 100% effecient. In the end using a high end power conditioner and ups together you may be using 175% the power the av equipment would use alone

·
Registered
904 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by woowoo
A UPS is also line conditioner.
That's not always true. While many (perhaps most) do the job of line conditioning there are many that do not. Some UPSs are either on or off, triggered by the voltage coming in; if the voltage is between 105V and 130V (these numbers are fake), the power may go through untouched while a dip below 105V would trigger the battery and above 130 would trigger surge protection. This means that the voltage to your equipment can freely vary between 105 and 130, wreaking whatever havoc it will.

Other UPSs will variably supplement or retard the voltage to maintain a constant 115V, this is much more like a traditional line conditioner. APC calls this feature SmartBoost, other mfrs have their own lingo.

jake

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
of putting the UPS behing the Tripp Lite for a more

seamless solution. This is what I'm asking about

re: pros and cons.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you mean plugging the surge supressor into a port on the ups, this will work but you could be damaging the ups for every spike that leaks through. I doubt any real spikes would get through on a nice ups BUT whenever they would the surge suppressor would basically short the ups! Imagine the havoc this would wreak on the components inside.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I guess the way to do it would be to buy a UPS that can handle the load requirements of your conditioner (not your equipment) and plug that into the wall. The conditioner would then go between the ups and the equipment. This way, the UPS will pull you through any outages while the conditioner will keep the final power clean.

I'm not sure what you'll really gain from this or how much electricity you'll be wasting, but my guess would be not much and a whole lot, respectively.

jake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.