AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a UPS to run my HTPC and TV antenna pre-amplifiers. Belkin and APC are the popular brands I saw at Fry's yesterday. Belkin is cheaper than APC for a given KVA rating.

Can anyone share their experience with these brands? My UPS priorities are reliability, noise, size, price in that order with reliability being my highest priority.

Thanks.

DonP

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm a big fan of APC. I live in the "lightening belt" and used to sell PCs here. Each one was equipped with APC protection of some kind, and use of the APC protection was a requirement of my warranty policy. I've never experienced an APC failure, either of the UPS / surge suppressor itself or any equipment protected by it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
and the APC batteries swell up really interestingly if you leave them for more than a year in the unit, requiring imaginitive uses of screwdrivers and chisels to replace them. At least, that's what I saw for the 1400.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have an APC Back-UPS Pro. I've never had a problem with it. It works great. APC is more expensive but if you look at a Pro brand of APC compared to a belkin there are some noticable differences. I've also used a belkin at work. Essentially for everyday use they both perform the same way.

When it comes to reliability, noise, size, price. The only major difference is the price. If you would like to get the extra bells and whistles the APC Pro models give you then get one of those.

"Boost and Trim Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) automatically corrects the deepest brownouts and overvoltage conditions without using the battery thereby preserving battery power for times when its really needed."

--That is what the APC Pro models gives you. If you feel that is what you need then you should get an APC Pro. Otherwise you won't see a difference between the belkin.

One thing I always stress to people is to leave the thing on all the time. If you are constantly turning them off and on every day/night, and invoking a battery test while being turned on it will lower the battery life considerably (if you do it consistently for over a year or 2)

I haven't experienced any swelling of batteries

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Count me in as another fan of APC units - we use APC at the Lab, and I have

a few at home.

I've never had any problems with the batteries - which sounds like a battery problem

not a UPS problem. [ The same handful of companies make the batteries for all the

UPS units - regardless of manufacturer.]

The "boost and trim" feature is nice - gets the voltage to spec w/o using the batteries.

The APC "SmartUPS" units output sine wave voltage even when on battery. Might as

well provide the same waveform to the load as what it sees when the AC power is on.

[ Some UPS will output stepped square waves while on batteries - which is OK for

switching power supplies like in computers.]

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm an APC fan.

I like belkin (and they have 50% off everything on their site right now) for other things like power surge protectors, but APC has been at this a long time. The only other UPC maker I would trust is Tripp Lite.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well, I just picked up my 3rd APC UPS from Costco, so you can say I'm a big fan of APC as well. They probably cost a bit more than Belkin or others but power protection is all they do, and they do a good job at it.

I bought a Back-UPS long time ago and recently I needed a more powerful one to drive an automation PC so I got a Smart-UPS. Now for my HTPC, I settled with Back-UPS XS for now.

I have had the original Back-UPS for about 5 years now and I did replace the battery few months back as it wasn't holding charge anymore. Other than that, everything has been running smoothly.

Thanks,

Simon

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I suspect my APC Back-UPS EPS 725 of having killed 3 power supplies on my HTPC (or at least of not having prevented them from being killed by power surges or drops).

I also have a Smart-UPS 1500 (its a big honking rackmount) about which I have no complaints.

Bottom line is that I'm somewhat down on the consumer grade UPS scene, but the Smart-UPS rackmount has been great for me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a BackUPS 650 on my linux server (a must in my opinion for any linux machine with data on it that you care about) and the thing runs like a charm. They have fantastic software support that lets you have different options with how the machine goes about shutting down and the decision process that goes into shutting it down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.