AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this before but got no responses and now I have more info. Long story short, Marantz SR7002 needed firmware upgrade (warranty) to fix audio problem with blurays. I send it to closest repair center (1 state away) and when they received it the box was ripped open and the back of the receiver is seriously smashed. Several of the banana plugins are bent, many of the audio inputs are pushed back into the case and the back of the case is dented pretty severelly. After filing an insurance claim UPS picked it up from repair center, said they could not see any damage and sent it back to me. I called them and asked if the guy who looked at it was blind and then their story changed to, your box was not made in the USA and the 1" foam that surrounded the receiver was not enough and declined me once again.

I'm still in the process of fighting this but I know I'll lose. You just can't beat big business in this country.

So with that in mind I'd like to upgrade and improve my sound even more. I've got a dedicated room, 22x17 with the usual sound treatments found on this forum. My speakers are Infinity Beta Series, Center C360, Mains Beta50 and whatever the surrounds are. I'm thinking about going seperates but not sure. I'm willing to spend around 1500, maybe more if I go seperates and can buy them 1 at a time.

So if you were going to upgrade from this receiver, what direction would you go? Thank you for any advice. I just don't know where to start. I was very happy with the sound of the marantz but the voices were sometimes unclear at high levels. That could be my center speaker though, but this has always made me wonder if seperate amps would sound better.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Was it insured ? If it was insured was it stated as insurance on the shipping order ? If it was , File a complaint with the state insurance commsioner in your state. It may help.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
1. Fight UPS until they pay you for your receiver. I've had to file multiple claims against UPS over the years and have always gotten paid in the end.

2. I had an SR7002 and upgraded to a Denon 2310 and then a 3311 (wanted networking features). Personally, I like the Denon units better due to the Audyssey implementation (MultEQ XT in the 3311) including DynamicEQ. DynamicEQ is a fantastic feature that really helps music and movies come to life at lower volumes. As a result, I would never go back to a receiver that didn't have this feature (i.e. the SR7002). I don't really miss anything about the SR7002 now. You can get the Audyssey MultEQ and DynamicEQ in other models besides the Denon units, but my point is, I view them as an upgrade for what I use the receiver for anyway.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol, I have had uninteruptable power suplies kill other things, but not this time.
I will continue to fight this, we are filing our 2nd claim now. But this has already given me the upgrade bug.

I've been looking at the emotiva line. Any thoughts on it? I'm looking at the umc-1 processor and either the upa-7 amp or the xpa5-amp. Any opinions on how this would compare with the Marantz?

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I went to inspect the box and it wasn't as bad as they made it sound. They bent the pins that the speakers attach to and theres a minor dent in the back of the unit. They let me take it home to test it and the thing works just fine. No internal damage so I'm gonna let it go. I don't wanna waste any more time on this I want my movie theater back! In truth I could have packaged it a bit better I guess but this should say something for the build quality of Marantz! So I'm gonna send it back for the firmware upgrade (VIA FEDEX) this time and keep it. I was looking at replacement options but at 1000-1500 I'm not gonna do any better than what I have now. I do think I'll add a Emotiva XPA-3 to the fronts. That looks like a killer amp!

Thanks for hearing my rant. I hope everyones new xmas toys arrive safely!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do a search on UPS damaged products. You will find that in all cases UPS claims it was not their fault even though the item was insured and they do not pay. They blame it on the packaging and not on the UPS morons who threw it around. I always use FedEx to ship. They pay on their claims!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts