AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent in my Denon 3805 for repair - blown right amp. Classic Stereo in Indiana sent it back fixed and insured for $750 (what I paid for it B stock a few years ago), but when I opened it, the back panel was bashed in.

So the big question is, what do get now that I have cash to update the unit. I like to find deals rather than pay retail for the lastest and greatest.

Here's some thoughts...

Try the Panasonic SAXR 57 for $279;

Get a Sherwood New Castle 965 for around $1000;

Get a HK 7300 for around $750;

Get an Onkyo 603 B stock for $300;

Get a Yamaha 5790 B stock for $269;

With the lower priced units, I could get a separate two channel amp to power my "pig" Polk RTi10 towers which have never shined with the Denon 3805. With the Sherwood, I'd be set, but wouldn't have todays HDMI technology.

What are your thoughts, and what would you get (open for suggestions).

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Got a feeling that Buckeye's mind is now concentrated in the HK 7300...

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I'm leaning towards the Panasonic or Onkyo. Now that I've upgraded my sub to a Plus/2, I really don't need to rely on bass from my speakers, so the AVR doesn't need to be all that powerful - just sound good.

The HK was one AVR I was considering before I purchased the 3805, but the street pricing was around $1400 at the time. For $750, the 3805 was the better buy. I also was considering the Denon 4802 which had a better amp section, but didn't offer the newer technology the 3805 did (hindsight I would have bought the 4802). I've read a lot of good things about the Sherwood Newcastle's (Boston Acoustic 7102), but they're pricey. I definitely need at least 3 component inputs, or an HDMI with two component inputs. The Yamaha 5790 is an absolute steal, but just doesn't offer the right amount of inputs.

What can Brown do for me? We'll see how well they back up this insurance claim.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
291 Posts
I feel your pain... I shipped my 4806 to Denon for the CI upgrade and Fedex busted it. have been waiting over a month for Fedex to do something with the claim... They will probaly deny the claim and I will end up paying for the repair myself...

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I *used* to use UPS for shipping gear. No more. I estimated that they damaged 5% of my shipments. Luckily, the process to get reimbursed isn't too cumbersome. I've been using FedEx for about 5 years now, and haven't had 1 single problem.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown /forum/post/0

I *used* to use UPS for shipping gear. No more. I estimated that they damaged 5% of my shipments. Luckily, the process to get reimbursed isn't too cumbersome. I've been using FedEx for about 5 years now, and haven't had 1 single problem.

I agree 100%. I shipped the product out Fed Ex to be repaired to the authorized Denon dealer. I told him to ship it back insured. He did, but said he uses UPS. Of course it came back damaged.

Dave H.,

I received the 3805 in bubble wrap and peanuts a few years ago when purchased, and shipped it out the same way for repair a month ago. Never an issue. I do appreciate the jest of luck though. We'll see if UPS acknowledges fault here, or says packing was too light. In any event, it was insured both ways. I'm anxious to see what exactly the insurance covers, since buying the "policy" doesn't involve additional paperwork, underwriting signatures, etc...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here is an update on my FedEx claim... After waiting for a month for FedEx to send someone to inspect the package I am now told it may take up to four weeks just to get the report back... If there was not so much money tied up in this it would almost be funny...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.