AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, we were watching TV during the hurricane last night. There was a power surge and my Sammy DLP responded with the 3 blinking light sydrome. I unplugged it right away and when I plugged it back in this morning, everything was working OK. This made me think that I should not be risking my $3000 TV like that and maybe should invest in a UPS. Can any of you let me know what kind, if any, interruptible power supply you have your TV plugged in?

Thanks,

EAF

·
Registered
80 Posts
I picked up a 500VA UPS from Staples for $10 after rebate a couple of weeks ago, it was plenty for my Panny PT-50LC13. I was worried because my set has a fan that goes for about a minute after you turn the set off. I haven't tested how long the tv would last on the UPS alone, I bought it just in case the power went out when I was watching so I could turn the tv off. I don't plan on using it for any other reason than that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Benchiu. $10.00 sounds reasonable. You probably paid $100.00 and are still waiting for that $90.00 rebate check. Right?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lol, no, I paid $40 and am waiting for a $30 rebate check. I deal with rebates a lot and Staples is by far one of the best companies in terms of dealing with rebates. CompUSA being the worst.

A decent UPS probably costs anywhere from $30-50 or so. I just happened upon a good deal.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yes, I think investing in a UPS is essential for any electronics device, be it computer, home stereo or your HT. Get one with a large backup battery.

·
Registered
518 Posts
A UPS for safe shutdown during a power loss is important, but they are a poor choice for spike protection, IMHO of course.

Please read the link in my signature, which is the core of the rather lengthy thread jdmoser referenced.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Deacon
A UPS for safe shutdown during a power loss is important, but they are a poor choice for spike protection, IMHO of course.

Please read the link in my signature, which is the core of the rather lengthy thread jdmoser referenced.
Im concerned about the asfe shutdown issue, but I dont know if the 350va UPS is enough

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm running a 500va APC UPS on mine and I have a HTPC, a DVD, a VCR, a CD player, and a Dreamcast plugged into it. Had them all powered up tonight at the same time with no problems.

I had a power 'brownout' last week and I got freaked about the TV. Decided I had to do something for my own piece of mind even if it doesn't save the TV :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Floks

I just got my 1st piece of electronics I care about and I need to run it most of the time. Its DVDR with a clock that dies after the power is off more than 3 seconds. The DvDr acts like its the end of the world while my computer just seems to do a hard boot after the same outage. I have the DVdr pluged into a surge proctector but that does not help the clock.

What kind of UPS doI need to buy? How much should I send ? Can / should I buy it at a computer store or a hardward store?

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm using a Tripp-Lite SmartUPS 550VA with my HLM437W; it includes surge protection and a line conditioner.

Before I got the UPS, one of the power boards inside my set blew because of the huge blackout we had. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.