AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The power just spiked here, which made me think about protecting my projector that will arrive next week. I've never had a projector before, so not know what is normal as far as power surge protection or UPS. Do most do this? How do you do it for ceiling mounted projectors?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I use one, just to give me enough time to shut down the projector correctly(with fan cooling) if there is a power failure.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20815830

are you ceiling mounted? If so, do you mount the UPS in the ceiling? or run a long power cable?

No, the projecctor is shelf mounted. But as long as the UPS is between the projector and the power point there shouldn't be a problem. One could ceiling mount the UPS if need be.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Two things.

- Make sure you get a UPS that can handle at least the total wattage of your projector.

- Verify with the projector manufacturer if the projector can handle the pseudo-sinewave current pattern from a cheap UPS running on battery power. If not, you'll need a UPS that can generate a true sinewave pattern, which will be more expensive.

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
13,731 Posts
I use an APC Smart UPS series on both my computer and projector.

The smart ups series has the true sine waves instead of the simulated sine waves. I don't think simulated sine waves are hard on your electronics, only on electrical motors from what I understand. I believe a projector should be safe with a simulated sine wave. You can get retired Smart-UPS series units off ebay for next to nothing. I think I paid about $120 for mine off the normal 3 year lease from an ebay seller --- battery purchase will often be soon expected on a used unit, but then again I paid $100 and not $2000. If you find them local and go pick them up then you can save on the shipping...

I ran a long power cord to the UPS which sits on the ground. My UPS is also hooked up to my sump pump in the basement. it's a 2,200 va model. :p I won't be putting it on the ceiling because it weighs about 120lbs.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
archaea,

I agree with you on this one. I have a ups on almost everything. On my main system I have a panamax backup and on my PJ I have an APC ups. WIth LEDs the heat is not the issue just the spike so real vs simulated wave is not an issue. Any time I have a drop I shut everything off just to be safe, but remember the DC power supply is converting no matter what the input!

·
Registered
349 Posts
 APC Smart-UPS too (pure sine wave).

Beware that for the UPS to remain silent (fan less) during normal operations you should not use more than 70% of the max power, and that the max Watt rating is about 70-75% of the max VA rating.

So for a 300W projector, aim at least for a 600 VA UPS.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just a comment about spikes.

A UPS will normally handle spikes in the powergrid that are short (in terms of ms) and voltage that are in the range of volts (not kv).

You will never be able to protect it against lighting if it hits close by.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi,

I also have a question regarding APC smart series UPS and my epson EH-TW3200 projector.

I was intending to buy APC smart 420VA UPS, which is declared to support devices that use up to 260W of power.

My projector is declared to use a total of 261 watts.

Is it ok if I use 420VA UPS or should I buy UPS which delivers more power (420VA is off by 1 watt)?

Best regards, Tim.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedi444  /t/1353538/ups-for-projector#post_24742776

Hi,

I also have a question regarding APC smart series UPS and my epson EH-TW3200 projector.

I was intending to buy APC smart 420VA UPS, which is declared to support devices that use up to 260W of power.

My projector is declared to use a total of 261 watts.

Is it ok if I use 420VA UPS or should I buy UPS which delivers more power (420VA is off by 1 watt)?

Best regards, Tim.

better to get a larger UPS and be safe. it's not likely that you'd be using the max wattage rating, but it's always nice to have some headroom. the difference in price shouldn't be huge either, it'll be worth the extra 15bux or whatever to go one size up. for what it's worth, I'd make the same recommendation if your projector was rated at 259watts, heck I'd probably think twice about the 420VA model if it were 225w

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I had a Belkin Pure AV UPS for a while just for the projector. I can't recall it ever saving me (actually having the projector on when we had a power outage), but about once a month or so I would find the UPS would be off so that the projector had no power and I had to hit the on button on the Belkin to restore power. I may have been using the UPS wrong because I didn't read the OM in depth, but it seemed like more of a hassle than it was worth.

We now have a 20kw whole-house generator that should help, but it does take a second or two for the generator to fire up so I don't know if the projector (Sony VPL-HW10) would actually be smart enough to turn on the fan for cool down when power is restored a second or two after an outage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.