Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Forgive me if this is not the right forum to post this question, but I was not sure where to post it.

I am thinking of getting a UPS for my home theatre system. I basically need something with enough power to keep the cooling fan on my soon to be purchased big screen tv, and provide good EMI noise filtering, and voltage regulation (brownout, surges, etc.)

Currently, I have the APC BackUPS Pro, and SmartUPS models for my home systems and was looking at something about 600 VA to 1000 VA for the home theatre.

The models of APC that have voltage regulation can get pretty pricy. I have seen brands like Belkin, Cyber Power, Tripplite, and others that seem to do what I need and cost a fraction of APC.

If anyone can offer suggestions on a unit that is reasonably priced and reliable, that would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Look at geek swap meets and get a used one, just make sure the batteries are good or get a steep discount so you can replace them. Another possibility is E-bay as occasionally a good unit will get miss classified or just missed because it isn't a known brand and you'll get a deal. I bought a used APC Smart ups 1400 for 40 with good batteries at a geek scavengers place. I also got a brandy new Powerware 5114 1400 va for 156 delivered a couple of years ago on e-bay because no one else bid for whatever reason.

Both of these units have full AVR/boost/buck with pure sinewave output on battery as far as I have figured out. The cheaper ones used stepped and usually have no AVR at all as you have noticed.

Also watch the office stores as occasionally they put out a quality smaller or large unit as a disco or loss leader with or without rebates to bring in customers. I have bought quite a few lesser units to use with the TV/modem/routers here from them.:)

Costco has the UPS on sale for around 100 that seems like a quality unit, and I have a cheap Belkin that claims to have full avr etc I got at Home Depot when they closed them out becuase nobody buys PC stuff there.

·
Registered
732 Posts
What you need is the APC S15. Yes, it is pricey, but quality always is. A cheep ups will be noisy, which you don't want to add to a HT. Another benifit of the APC is that you will get better audio and video quality out of it because it cleans up the AC voltage which is full of noise.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm a fan of Belkin's products, or was, after recently checking their site it seems like they got more "low-tech" and all the higher end products I liked ... I can no longer find.

Greg C's recommendation is a good one for the APC S15, but I would suggest you look at 1500 VA and not below it.

One last thing, I would hook up your computer to the UPS (USB cable, etc.) and use the accompanying software to watch the results of turning the TV on when the battery backup is running. I know that Plasma's and CRTs have such a HUGE+ initial draw that many UPS's simply cannot handle. Projectors are usually ok though, as are LCD's.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you have a rack system for your equipment, most manufacturers make 19" rack mountable units that I really love. Keep in mind though that a rack mounted UPS is to a non-rack mounted UPS what a laptop is to a computer.

Because they rather task specific to the type of useage, and that useage is more high end...you'll end up paying up totwice as much for the different form-factor.

This is the one I have for my router, signal amp, and switches...
Tripp Lite Smart 500VA Rack/Tower UPS

...I'd get a second, much more powerful one to control servers once I start to add them.

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo_reich
I'm a fan of Belkin's products, or was, after recently checking their site it seems like they got more "low-tech" and all the higher end products I liked ... I can no longer find.
Take a look at their Pure AV line.

Kal

·
Registered
40 Posts
Liebert GXT2U

It's a rack mount, but it can also be set up as a tower if you can get the feet with the unit, I've seen 1000VAs like the one I have at home go for ~ $100 on eBay with good batts. It's a double conversion UPS so the power coming out of it is nice and clean.

I'd post a link but the forum won't let me, googling for Liebert GXT2U will bring it up as the 3rd link down (the top 2 go to their european site).

·
Registered
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo32
Does anyone know where I can purchase an APC S-15? I'm having trouble finding one.

Thanks,
If nobody gives you a good lead - I guess I would try:
http://www.apc.com/products/apcav/buy/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.