AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You won't believe this... I thought I would do the right thing and connect my Replay 5160 to a UPS for surge protection and battery backup. So, I went down to the local CompUSA and bought a APC 350 UPS. I plugged in the Replay and turned on the UPS. The UPS started clicking. So I turned it off and plugged the Replay back into the wall outlet. Now it won't boot. It just sits at the Please Wait screen. The video flashes green every 15 seconds. I tried to leave it unplugged for awhile but nothing seems to help. Just my luck...

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I don't know what it is with UPSs. Murphy's Law or something like that.

A week ago I had a TrippLite literally start frying on me. There was smoke

coming out of the unit. Luckily it didn't damage any of my equipment. It

has a $50,000 warranty that I have no desire to test.

Today, I went through all the replay's in the house and tested them to

see if they still worked. Out of 4 UPSs, 1 no longer worked, but gave no

indication of any problem. When the power went out, it would switch over

to battery according to the status lights, but all my equipment still shut off.

Equipment was definitely connected to the "battery backed up" outlets.

Now I realize why the other day I thought my Replay had shorter than

7 day maintenance reboot. My damn battery backup wasn't working even

all the status lights indicated it was. This same battery was working some

months back when it kept my replay running for over 40mins.

I recommend you test your UPSs every 3 months to make sure they still

work. Don't assume they do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Replay is still under warranty. I'll call the support folks tonight and get an RMA. It's just frustrating to take action that should prevent a problem and the preventative action ends up causing a problem. Oh well... I'll get the Replay fixed and exchange the UPS. This time I will test the UPS before connecting it to the Replay!

·
Registered
615 Posts
UPS batteries are supposed to be replaced periodically. Not sure what is recommended -- it probably varies from unit to unit.

Maybe the one that switched over to battery according to the status lights has a dead battery?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Does the UPS have any kind of warranty for equipment connected to it, like surge protectors typically do?

Ah, I see they do, but ugh, what a pain... but I guess better than nothing if the ReplayTV were out of warranty :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbowling
I plugged in the Replay and turned on the UPS.
I hope I am wrong, but this sounds like your fault. Every new UPS I have ever bought clearly says that it should be fully charged BEFORE any load is placed on the UPS.

Plugging a device into a new UPS and then throwing the switch is a BAD idea. The UPS needs normally between 8 to 16 hours to fully charge and also to let the protection circuit go through a couple of self test cycles before the UPS is ready to use under load.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudy
Maybe the one that switched over to battery according to the status lights has a dead battery?
Not according the dead/low battery indicator light :(

I actually bought two of the same model at the same time. The other

one is still humming away.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbowling
The Replay is still under warranty. I'll call the support folks tonight and get an RMA. It's just frustrating to take action that should prevent a problem and the preventative action ends up causing a problem. Oh well... I'll get the Replay fixed and exchange the UPS. This time I will test the UPS before connecting it to the Replay!
Who told you you should put your replayTV on a UPS??

I don't have any of my replay equipment on UPSes, nor will I.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
While I did not in this case. I have often posted that a UPS is a good idea for any computer device. They can protect against surges, spikes or even just give you a min to flick a circuit breaker when someone turns on the microwave while the washer & dryer are going (OK maybe that last one is just me)

Quote:
I have never seen an ANTI UPS post on this form (or any other). Would you care to elaborate about your reasons for not using a UPS? Are there any other than you just don't find it necessary?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:

There are plenty of threads suggesting UPS. The common reason

provided is to avoid Replay losing power while recording to disk.

Search for APC UPS with long search.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MasterK
While I did not in this case. I have often posted that a UPS is a good idea for any computer device. They can protect against surges, spikes or even just give you a min to flick a circuit breaker when someone turns on the microwave while the washer & dryer are going (OK maybe that last one is just me)

I have never seen an ANTI UPS post on this form (or any other). Would you care to elaborate about your reasons for not using a UPS? Are there any other than you just don't find it necessary?
UPSes primary function is not to surge protect, they do have surge protection. Everything you described sounds like the function of a surge protector.

The problem I have with UPSes was that the OP suggested that this was a step toward "safer" use of a replay. While I can see how a UPS could be helpful for the HD failure that's about it. Brown outs a UPS won't help with, only a voltage regulator will help. A black out is the only thing a UPS will help with, and in the case of the 5k models it will give you time to go pull the plug yourself. In effect doing the exact same thing a black out would do. So, the net gain in this case is ZERO. If the UPS does have enough power to keep the replay alive duing a black out until power is restored you're good. The other risk, power coming back on could trip the breaker in the surge protector part of the UPS.

I another thread I stated to I'd avoid APC if at all possible. The success rate I've had with their products is close to... 20% success. 1 out of 5 has worked, the higher end products are more reliable. The cheap ones appear to be exactly that.

Tripplite seems to be more reliable, but as stated above, they aren't 100% reliable.

I do have my PC on a UPS only so my wife won't kill me when she looses her work from a blackout.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
UPSes primary function is not to surge protect, they do have surge protection. Everything you described sounds like the function of a surge protector.

The problem I have with UPSes was that the OP suggested that this was a step toward "safer" use of a replay. While I can see how a UPS could be helpful for the HD failure that's about it. Brown outs a UPS won't help with, only a voltage regulator will help. A black out is the only thing a UPS will help with, and in the case of the 5k models it will give you time to go pull the plug yourself. In effect doing the exact same thing a black out would do. So, the net gain in this case is ZERO. If the UPS does have enough power to keep the replay alive duing a black out until power is restored you're good.
I think your points are premised on a specific UPS unit rather than UPSs

in general.

The UPSs I'm using actually work very well in the situations you listed.

They handle surge suppression, can handle AVR (automatic voltage

regulation) 75-147V, and can power my Replay for over 60min (tested).

They've allowed my replays to operate uninterrupted through all

power outs for the last 3 years. My block wasn't hit with the rolling

blackouts a few years back, or they wouldn't have handled that.

http://www.tripplite.com/shared/pdf/spec/tlspec_24.pdf

Actually I don't have a huge problem with TrippLites even though I had

a few problems crop up, they've served me well over the years. The one

that Fried was always acting funny since I got it originally (it was only a

few days old when it fried). It would click incessantly like a ticking bomb

when fully charged. While charging it was quiet. I was getting set to

return it when it just started smoking.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
I another thread I stated to I'd avoid APC if at all possible. The success rate I've had with their products is close to... 20% success. 1 out of 5 has worked, the higher end products are more reliable. The cheap ones appear to be exactly that.

Tripplite seems to be more reliable, but as stated above, they aren't 100% reliable.
sfhub, yeah I hoped that got across in my post. Cheap ones appear to be cheap and unreliable. That's the problem.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quote:
This is not exactly accurate. Surge protectors are only built for overload situations, and many of them are not even well equipped to handle a wide type of those.

A UPS on the other hand is made to handle both overload and underload situations. A good UPS will switch to battery power during a sag or brownout so the power supply in your computer (or ReplayTV) does not get damaged.

Quote:
I do have my PC on a UPS only so my wife won't kill me when she looses her work from a blackout.
A ReplayTV is a computer. I use a UPS so my wife does not get angry at missing her favorite show.

All that being said you do need to make sure you get a good UPS for this purpose. I use a Network quality rackmount UPS with built in power conditioning. Check out the specs here .

I don't think many people realize that power quality can be quite bad and not show any obvious signs (such as dimming lights or anything). I remeber an IDC whitepaper that attributed something like 33% of all computer hardware failures to unseen power problems. Bad power can put a big strain on power supplies and harddrives. Leading to early failure.

I don't mean to sound like an ad, but since putting UPS's on all computers I own (including Replay) I have seen fewer Hardrive failures and mysterious reboots.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MasterK
I don't mean to sound like an ad, but since putting UPS's on all computers I own (including Replay) I have seen fewer Hardrive failures and mysterious reboots.
Not if the UPS could just get me status bars, todo lists, and fix the networks problems, I'd be sold :) :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Two comments to make, and hopefully they are obvious:

1. make sure your cable box/Dish receiver is also plugged into the UPS , whats the point of recording a blank signal..

2. I hope no one is unplugging their UPS's to test them! They really need to be properly grounded, if you yank the plug from the A/C wall socket you are creating an unsafe and potentially dangerous grounding situation (or lack their of), it could lead to equipment getting fried or worse, yourself!.. if you must test your UPS's by removing the A/C feed, please use a power strip which has a switch or plug the UPS into a wall socket that is connected to a wall switch or turn off the power at the fuse-box/circuit breaker..

Please use common sense and treat electricity with the respect it deserves.

for the record I also use a UPS on my showstopper and PC's.. works like a charm..

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I stand corrected the UPC will fix brownouts.

MasterK I agree with what you said.

The problem here is not everyone here has good top end equipment, some people cut corners. Cutting corners on power isn't a smart move.

My equipment is expensive, and I try to protect it the best I can. But I know there's no way I could be safe from something like a direct lightning strike because I have surge protectors.

I'm constantly helping people with problems they have because of the way the systems are setup. And power is something don't really give a second thought. I think power should be first on the list when planning your equipment. I still don't think I'll ever own a voltage regulator.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.