AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been using my new HD-A3 for the last week and I am very happy with it. The TV I am using it on is about 3 years old ( Dell W2600 ) and does not have an HDMI input. It does however have a DVI input. I have been using the A3 with component (RGB) cables so far. The HD looks great. However any time I try watching a regular DVD it will not upscale, I get the error message saying that HD output is prohibited and it displays it at 480p.

My question is: If I purchase a HDMI to DVI cable will I be able to upscale my DVD's? If a HDMI to DVI cable will work, can somebody please point me to one that is affordable online and will do what I am asking?

Here is a link showing the features of my TV.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=us&l=en&s=gen

Thanks guys,

-Manhole

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
It works FANTASTICLY!!! Oh my gosh is it ever nice!!!

Same deal here...Bought the A3 last week @ CC during the pricing mistake and ran it for a week thru the component and while HD DVD were superb, SD dvd could have been better...Ordered a HDMI > DVI cable off eBay and it arrived today...Watching my SD DVD is like seeing them for the first time!!! The PQ is just sooooooooooooooo much better than my LG3510a 1080i upconverting player!!! This is on my 4 year old Toshiba 51H83 CRT HD RPTV...Absolutely no handshake issues at all like I've read horror stories about happening...

I have a concert set that states was filmed in HD and I must admit the PQ was always outstanding (Dave Matthews band Concert in Central Park)...But I played that on the A3 ad WOW!!! HD itself doesn't look any better!!! Going to put in a superbit SD DVD (Spiderman2) shortly to be wowed...Again, it always did look great but now it should really be as close to HD as it can without actually being HD...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a HDMI to DVI cable and it works, was kinda surprise how much better my DVD looked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I will be ordering the cable (+ RCA audio cable for TV) through monoprice. I already have the optical hooked up to my audio receiver so I think I will be good to go for $12.95 shipped

Thanks again!

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/13014819

Why do you need a RCA for??

In case he wants to run the audio through his TV instead of his AVR for some reason, this way he has both options.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplayer /forum/post/13014974

In case he wants to run the audio through his TV instead of his AVR for some reason, this way he has both options.

Yep. I usually only use the surround sound receiver when watching movies during the day time. If I'm watching something late at night and don't want to wake anyone I use the TV volume. I've got my Harmony programmed for both options.

I'm jealous of those of you who have HDMI on your TV so that you can have a single cable running both video and audio

Thanks again guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts