AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a guy I work with and he told me that I have to get a progressive scan DVD player. I have a JVC AV-48WP30 tv that from what I understand, upscales everything to 1080i. Is there a difference between 480i and 480p if they both end up being upscaled to 1080i anyways?

This may sound an ignorant question, but I'm very new to this and trying to make sense of everything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm thinking about getting this set and have the same question. Anyway how is the set? Do you like it? I can get it for about $1200 with my best buy employee discount

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love it!! The picture quality is phenomenal! I happened to get mine at Best Buy as well (Open Box for $1279.00). They had this set sitting right next to the 48" Mitsubishi and honestly after spending quite a bit of time comparing the two, I liked the JVC better.

I ordered a DVI-D cable which should get here today so I can hook my PC up to the tv. I've read some posts from people who have the same set who say the picture is phenomenal. It should be like a big a$$ computer screen.

For what it's worth, I couldn't recommend the set more.

Let's hope somebody can answer our question!

·
Registered
787 Posts
awesome

i think i'm going to wait for the new models to come out sometime in the next month or so i think

i want to be able to turn off SVM which i don't think the old model you could

·
Registered
505 Posts
Probably the only way you're gonna find out is by trying it yourself. Not too many people in these forum sites have a TV that forces 1080i upconversion afterall. The next closest opinions you'll get might be from Hitachi and Tosh owners since those TVs force 540p upconversion, which may look very similar to 1080i upconversion.

Personally, I think your best bet is to wait for the Samsung HD931 and get that instead of a 480p player. That player offers 1080i upconversion via its Faroudja fli23xx chip. That's probably better than letting your TV do it since it eliminates the extra D->A->D conversion before upscaling PLUS can use that DVI/HDCP input on your TV. OTOH, you'll have to hope that your TV's video DAC is at least as good as the player's.

Also, w/ the HD931, even if you find that Faroudja deinterlaced 480p looks better w/ your TV, you can just switch to that w/ that player. It's nice to have the option between top quality 480p and good 1080i upconversion--assuming that player fulfills its promised potential. FWIW, its high $$$, hard-to-find, big brother HD1000 is getting rave reviews in these parts.

_Man_

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.