AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Starting to plan the build of our first custom home. Nothing fancy and over-the-top. Looking to keep the budget as low as possible (within reason).

Wanted to get some thoughts and ideas on home automation. Considering DIY (SmartThings + Google Home + something like Brilliant) vs. URC Home Automation. A local dealer (in British Columbia, Canada) suggested it as a cost effective alternative to RTI Home Automation and DIY.

I've heard of URC but don't have much experience with it. I have a reasonable amount of experience with DIY solutions as well as Control4.

The home will have:
1. Multi-zone audio
2. Living room TV/AV
3. Media/home theater room
4. Lights (ideally controlled via home automation/smart home control)
5. 2-3 shades also controlled like the lights
6. Garage
7. Monitored security system

Does anyone here have any experience with URC or another cost effective alternative?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
URC complete control or URC total control?

Two different systems...I would assume the latter considering the scope but you never know with these guys.

You don't hear much about TC, but I can't imagine at the end of the day it's much cheaper than something like Control 4

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eatenbacktolife, you're right, I meant to say URC Total Control. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Did you get a quote? I don't use it and honestly never even really run across it, and don't even hear much about it though I've used Complete Control before. If you have a quote I can tell you how it compares price wise to Crestron or RTI, probably a bit cheaper since the interface is canned so you would probably save on programming costs. I can't imagine the hardware is much cheaper than RTI or Control 4 or Elan or something

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you get a quote? I don't use it and honestly never even really run across it, and don't even hear much about it though I've used Complete Control before. If you have a quote I can tell you how it compares price wise to Crestron or RTI, probably a bit cheaper since the interface is canned so you would probably save on programming costs. I can't imagine the hardware is much cheaper than RTI or Control 4 or Elan or something
Not yet, hoping to have a quote in a couple of weeks. Once I do, I'll run it by you, if that's okay. Thanks for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts