AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was searching for a solution on how to incorporate my PS3 in with my MSC400 setup I couldn't find anything so I thought I would post my solution here in case someone can find it useful.

I didn't want to buy an IR to bluetooth adapter just to be able to turn my PS3 on with my URC system so this is what I did instead.

The usb ports on the PS3 are only active when the PS3 is on. So I took a USB cable and cut one end off. Inside are 4 wires - I took the black and red wires and terminated those into a URC voltage sensor. The other side of the cable is plugged into a usb port on the PS3.

When the PS3 is off the sensor detects nothing, when the PS3 is turned on (I mostly use it to play a game so I use the PS3 controller) the voltage sensor detects the voltage. I can then use that to trigger my "Play PS3" activity.

I haven't completed the programming yet but I am confident it will work because I tested the most critical part which was sensing when the PS3 turned on. Likewise when I turn the PS3 off with the controller it can sense that and turn everything else off.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You can use the composite video sensor rather than wasting your time with a hacked USB cable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555
You can use the composite video sensor rather than wasting your time with a hacked USB cable.
I use the hdmi connection so I don't know of a way for it to output composite video at the same time. Is that possible?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yeah, I think the PS3 does not output both simultaneously.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.