AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at MX 3000 on ebay and before thoroughly researching the remote and its need of live updates, I purchased one (not an authorized dealer). I know I am putting the cart before the horse but is there a link or does someone have the latest software I may down load. Thanks Tom

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
This is why I won't buy another URC remote. They do not support the end user, they only support authorized resellers/installers.

You'll have to find someone who is an authorized reseller to let you get the update from them. Or possibly a member here can forward it to you. The latest version I have is well over a year old and for my MX-850. I don't know if you can use it for the 3000 or not.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just buy from a decent seller and you're all set as far as software, I got mine from surfremote.com and they were excellent. I overpaid a little and they actually took the time to refund me some of the price and give me a shipping discount, talk about great CS. They offer discounts so you don't pay retail which is great

·
Premium Member
24,142 Posts
PM sent!

·
Registered
1 Posts
URC is so lame with this crap. Just search the web for completecontrolsuite.exe or .zip and you will find their software. They act like people break into their factory in china and sell their "pain in the butt" remote for $5 on ever street corner. I wish I went with the Harmony 1000!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Geez guys, I am in a bit of a bind. I have been using the Pronto Pro TSU7000 for a few years, but now have new equipment, BUT!!!! I am now using Windows Vista, and their software won't install unless I go back to XP (NOT!). So I went and tried the Harmony 1000, and though it does have Vista software and works ok, it is no where near as good at my Pronto.

So now I am on a search for the perfect remote and was thinking about this MX3000 - but reading all these horror stories about software support, I don't know I want it now
And if I buy from Best Buy, WILL I HAVE SUPPORT? Does the software install in Windows Vista? Or is there a remote similar to my Pronto that someone could reccomend?

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's real simple, if you buy from an authorized reseller, you get the software.

If you buy from a fly by night operator, you don't.

URC is just trying to keep their dealers happy, since they have invested in training and stocking for the product. I don't see what the big deal is with the software, it is NOT designed for casual, one time use.

disclaimer: I sell URC, but I've never had anyone ask for the software. That's why they paid me, they didn't want to program it themselves.

·
Registered
660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberger /forum/post/0

I don't see what the big deal is with the software, it is NOT designed for casual, one time use.

I don't think is completely true. The MX3000 is very hard to program, I'll give you that. It takes awhile for a first timer to be able to tap into the graphics engine on the remote.

But it can be done.

Question: What would you do if you were asked for the software?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I give them a copy of the actual programmed remote if requested, or if I think it would be difficult for someone else to recreate it if needed. Just burned 3 remotes worth on cd for a client friday and placed it with the final documentation. I doubt it will ever been used, but they have it just in case.

If they wanted the actual package, I'd let them have it, as long as it is understood I'm not responsible for the outcome. Any "tech support" calls would be billed accordingly. I doubt any of my folks would ever even try and relabel a button.

Your comments about the 3000 are absolutely correct, it's not easy to get started with, especially if you are talking to a 400 base station. But once you've done a few it's not too bad. My comments on casual use are based on the non-intuitive nature of the software, it's just not friendly for 1 timers or 1st timers.

BTW: Poor, are you on the NICO forums?

WRX: The URC software does NOT work in Vista today. They are still recoding for the new Mobile Device Center changes in Vista. So you'd need XP to program the 3000. If you are familiar with Pronto, the new 9600 is NICE. Might be easier to reuse your skills on that model. I missed the last training on it, but just playing around with it, it is VERY cool. Love the Escient integration out of the box.

·
Registered
686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberger /forum/post/0

WRX: The URC software does NOT work in Vista today. They are still recoding for the new Mobile Device Center changes in Vista. So you'd need XP to program the 3000. If you are familiar with Pronto, the new 9600 is NICE. Might be easier to reuse your skills on that model. I missed the last training on it, but just playing around with it, it is VERY cool. Love the Escient integration out of the box.

The problem I am finding now, is that I can't seem to find a retail store that sells the 9600. Any ideas for the Dallas, Texas area? When I go to the Phillips website, they only show a place called ADI, and there is no product literature there at all. Thnx

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well Poor,

I guess we should just get q45tech interested in projectors and remotes, he'd have all the answers.

WRX,

The 9600 is not in retail AFAIK, ADI is a distributor so that's why they don't have any lit.

PM me with your email and I'll see what I can dig up. I think I can just download it from the dealer site. To be honest, I haven't see any lit on it, but I've spent some time with the remote itself and it's damn nice. Especially if you already understand Pronto programming.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ok, here is a perfect example of too little, too late.

I had bought the MX3000 from Magnolia HT (Best Buy) over the holiday weekend. I was able to register it just fine (I thought) on their website and downloaded the software. Could not install the software on Windows Vista (won't allow Active Synch, uses a new system). Also found out this was NOT the live update SW. Even more problems was the handset woud not charge! So I went to return it. The salesman there was already to refund me because he talked to his installer, who informed him that I would not be able to get the correct software anyway. So I returned it, and got the Harmony 1000 again - but again hate it cause I have NO control over what is on most pages when in an activity likie I do with the TSU7000. So now, when I wake up Tuesday morning and check my E-Mail, Universal had sent me a message saying that yes, Magnolis IS a recogniced dealer, and sent me a link to the correct SW!

NOW what to do???? I have tried messing with the ProntoEdit SW, but its a real pain (and older as well), the Harmony is horrible. So, now that I CAN get the right software for the MX3000, can anyone tell me if it is any better than the TSU7000 I have now, and is the SW any bit easier to program with? I looked at the first version I got during the weekend, and it seems way much easier to import the IR codes into the pages, and I would imagine than the better live update version is better yet and more up to date? I just can't hack that Harmony, no matte how easy to just click away, and the Pronto is a pain

·
Registered
748 Posts
I personally find the MX Editor software to be more logical than Pronto's but if you ask 20 people you'll probably end in a split decision. It's really comes down to which one you get used to. Invest a few hours with either and you won't understand how you ever thought it was difficult. Before you re-purchase at Magnolia you may want to check out some of the online authorized dealers that support this forum because they'll provide the correct software immediately and be there for tech support. Not to mention that they'll also give you a better price if you ask nicely.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts