AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim:

Thanks! Do they no longer make the Schmartz PS3IR-PRO? Not sure I understand the difference between the Schmartz 500 and 1000? Is it mostly that you have to type in the codes for each of the 51 commands on the 500?

I want to be able to use my URC to control the PS3 completely when it comes to watching movies, and/or using the media hub features, including turning it on and off. I also may purchase an RF base station. Will such a device work with the Schmartz products? Recommend one over the other for what I am trying to do?

Thanks again!

Mark

·
Registered
551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12 /forum/post/16963555

Not sure I understand the difference between the Schmartz 500 and 1000? Is it mostly that you have to type in the codes for each of the 51 commands on the 500?

No. The 1000 main features adds are power sensing, so it won't try to power off PS3 again if it's already off (turning it on), extra macro capabilities, PC control, and an emitter to teach a remote directly (see next comment about MX450).

As for the MX450 and its sibling the R50, the main problem with these is that they are IR learning/code entry only, can't be hooked up to a PC to program. So if codes don't happen to be built-in (like for the Logitech adapter, or perhaps more important discrete power/input codes for all your equipment), and you don't have a remote that sends the code(s) in question, it's a pain to get the code into the remote. You have to get another remote that can get the codes in to teach the MX450. So you end up buying a cheap Harmony to teach it! The Schmartz 1000 avoids this issue specifically for the PS3, but does nothing for other components.

So if you want RF, I would wait a month and see if the Harmony One RF version rumors pan out, or consider Harmony One with an add-on RF solution, or if going with URC get one of their (expensive) PC-programmable models.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12 /forum/post/16963555

Jim:

Thanks! Do they no longer make the Schmartz PS3IR-PRO? Not sure I understand the difference between the Schmartz 500 and 1000? Is it mostly that you have to type in the codes for each of the 51 commands on the 500?

I want to be able to use my URC to control the PS3 completely when it comes to watching movies, and/or using the media hub features, including turning it on and off. I also may purchase an RF base station. Will such a device work with the Schmartz products? Recommend one over the other for what I am trying to do?

Thanks again!

Mark

The PRO was replaced by the 1000. A smaller unit with additional features at a lower price. The 500 was introduced after the 1000 as a competitor to the Harmony adapter. The 500 is basically a 1000 unit without the power-sensing capability or the ability to control from a PC. The set-up and functionality is the same. The Schmartz units use standard Sony PS2 and DVD player codes wo they will work great with the MX450 remote.

One reason you may want to consider the 1000 with the MX450 is that the 1000 also has the ability to SEND Ir signals. That means if you want to program a custom macro now, or in the future, you can use the 1000 to TEACH that IR code to your URC remote.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.