AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying one of these two remotes, I am wondering what the main differences are ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
880 is a basic remote with limited variables and and graphics

980 is not limited to 8 variable like the 880 is and does not require work around for graphics

basically it just depends on the level of the programmer and what it will be used to control

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggy /forum/post/15542843

980 is not limited to 8 variable like the 880 is and does not require work around for graphics

basically it just depends on the level of the programmer and what it will be used to control

...and you'd be amazed how quickly you can surpass 8 variables if you're the creative type.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
How many components are you going to control? If it is a TV, AVR, DVD and a cable/sat box, then the 880 will do just fine. If you start to add any more to it, then you might want to go with the 980.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan /forum/post/15543643

How many components are you going to control? If it is a TV, AVR, DVD and a cable/sat box, then the 880 will do just fine. If you start to add any more to it, then you might want to go with the 980.

Right now its just a JVC-RS1 Front Projector , Key Digital KD-VPHD2 Scalper,

NFusion-HD FTA STB, Sony 3400ES Receiver and soon to upgrade to a new BR DVD player is all .

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Where is all this gear in relation to where you sit? How many inputs do you have going to the projector? ie if the projector has a warmup period, how long will it take until it can accept an input command?

Looking at your gear, you might want to go with an 880 and an MSC-400 instead of the MRF-350. The reason is because if you need to have long delay times with the projector, let the macros etc be in the MSC-400 so there are not issues of the remote signals not getting there. The remote is then just used as a trigger for the logic and commands in the MSC-400.

The downside is that the MSC-400 costs more and the programming is harder, but not really much harder to learn than a 980. But it will do so much more including control the scaler via RS-232.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Which one of these feels better in your hand? I have held a MX-810 and it is a little bulky. Does the MX-980 fit better in your hand and is it more curved underneath than the MX-880?

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm /forum/post/15551872

Which one of these feels better in your hand? I have held a MX-810 and it is a little bulky. Does the MX-980 fit better in your hand and is it more curved underneath than the MX-880?

I've never held the 810, but I can say that I like the size and weight of the 980. It fits naturally in my hand, at a good position. There's some good spacing between hard buttons, (my first impression was it wasted some space actually), but it's width is dictated by the screen. Which I wouldn't want any smaller.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghot /forum/post/15553512

There's some good spacing between hard buttons,

My only gripe is the spacing of the transport buttons. They are small and close together. The 810/880 are more power DVR'er friendly as they are easier to find by feel as they are all different.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan /forum/post/15555826

My only gripe is the spacing of the transport buttons. They are small and close together. The 810/880 are more power DVR'er friendly as they are easier to find by feel as they are all different.

I've heard that before, but can't say that I'd want more spacing. I guess the "skip REW FF skip" are on the small side, but for me this might just be that I've never experienced anything larger, so can't say if I'm missing something

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghot /forum/post/15555976

I've heard that before, but can't say that I'd want more spacing.

I guess part of it is I was very used to the layout on the 900, so that is where my thumb wants to go, but the SKIP+/- buttons got moved down by the FF/RW. I still like the layout of the 900 better. The 900 layout with the 980 graphics and screen would be a winner.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm /forum/post/15551872

The MX-980 is a little boxy, not curved and contoured like maybe, the Harmony One. On the plus side, you can sit the MX-980 flat on a table and press the buttons easily without the remote rocking back and forth.

I had the MX-810 for a short while and if the MX-880 is the same case, it is a little more rounded. Although it too will sit flat on a table. Both the MX-980 and MX-810 felt just fine, although this would be a personal preference.

All of the above remotes have very good color screens as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts