AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MX-980 was working fine. Then two minutes later when I went to pause the movie, it just wasn't working?

I've done some troubleshooting. It will send IR signals fine. I can control anything I want via IR.

But RF is not working, despite the indicator on the MX-980 saying it's sending a signal. The MRF-300 and RFX-150 don't sense any RF at all. Their respective RF status LED's don't light up at all. If I move the MX-980 right on top of the RFX-150, then its indicator just barely flickers (as expected due to typical interference), but not in sync with my button presses.

Power LED's are lit on both devices.

IR output is set to "all" so it includes the front blaster. Signal is set to "IR & RF" for troubleshooting.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
I'd assume it is the RFX-150 that is bad. Sort of hard to troubleshoot if you don't have any replacements to test.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/19573658

I'd assume it is the RFX-150 that is bad. Sort of hard to troubleshoot if you don't have any replacements to test.

Doesn't the MRF-300 also light up when it senses RF? I unplugged the 150 and the 300 still didn't register any RF acknowledgement.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
The MRF-300 gets the signal through the RFX-150. The 150 is the antenna. Without the 150 the 300 will not work. The MRF-260 has the antenna built in, the 300 does not.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/19578906

The MRF-300 gets the signal through the RFX-150. The 150 is the antenna. Without the 150 the 300 will not work. The MRF-260 has the antenna built in, the 300 does not.

I didn't know that.. thanks, Bryansj!

I'll order another 150 tomorrow. I agree it's the most likely suspect, now that I know the 300 doesn't get RF signals independently.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bummer, the replacement RFX-150 didn't do the trick. No change at all in the behavior.

I'll call URC on Monday to inquire about cost of repair.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I called tech support at URC and as usual, someone stateside picked up quickly. I talked to Miguel and he impressed me, but the price of repair was a bit steep.

I ended up disassembling the MX-980 and re-soldering a few flaky looking joints. Put it back together and so far... RF is working properly!

Hope it stays this way!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the same problem. My remote is not working as I was told that the internal antenna must have been jarred from shock of being dropped from my installer (he tested it). I will try and open it up and do some repairs myself. You might as well buy a new one for the cost of what URC wants for repairs. ;(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.