AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 350 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
So does the MX-990 "just work" in Windows 10 without all the drama of updating drivers & getting WMDC to open & talk to the MX-890?

Yes. I still have two 980’s and dread when I have to update them. The 990 is uneventful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,431 Posts
Thanks guys. Time for me to upgrade.

·
Administrator
18,431 Posts
OK...I have my 990 & converted my 890 file into it. Now I'm itching to upgrade some of the graphics for the LCD buttons.

Does anyone have some good sites with button galleries that can be used?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
OK...I have my 990 & converted my 890 file into it. Now I'm itching to upgrade some of the graphics for the LCD buttons.

Does anyone have some good sites with button galleries that can be used?
I used the Exotic Large Text approach :).

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,431 Posts
That's...colorful! :)

I'm thinking maybe some brushed nickel tags like these.

Attachments

Reactions: RandyWalters

·
Registered
808 Posts
That's...colorful! :)

I'm thinking maybe some brushed nickel tags like these.

Those are sharp looking! Where did you find or create them?

·
Registered
355 Posts
They're from an iRule setup.
Where did you land on graphics for your 990?

My config isn't elaborate, but works well. Top two buttons on the main page are joined (to work from either side's hard button) and run macros to set up the satellite or BluRay. I'm using an ISY994i to control the lights and HVAC.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,431 Posts
I started messing with it and then it got put on the back burner. Everything is working fine but I haven't tweaked many icons from my old 980 setup.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There was talk at the beginning of the thread that the screen on the 990 was an OLED, is it or is it an LCD?

I've had a "universal remote" before. Years ago I had the Sony RM-AV2000. It got unweidly to operate. Then I got a Denon receiver and just used it for TV control and the PS3 controller for Blu-rays. I've now got an Nvidia Shield and a Flirc I'm trying to program. I'm thinking it's time to make the jump from separate remotes to a true universal remote.

I've heard there are issues with Harmonys regarding high latency on button pushes. I want something that's instant. Here's what I'd like to control. Can you tell me if the 990 is the right fit?

Denon AVR-3312CI (has serial control,currently main zone, but would like to use the other two)
Sony 2015 TV (He serial control. I hate this thing. Awful banding and slow menu/Android TV)
Sony PS3 (no adapters yet, any recommendations for control including Power?)
nVidia Shield 2018 (I've got the Flirc, just need time to program)
Xfinity HD DVR Cable Box (temp)
Xantec IR Repeater DL85K

I'd like to move to RF control, so I guess that means a base station with the IR output. I don't want macros that are programmed to be lost if someone doesn't have the remote pointed at the IR eye constantly. All my equipment is in a rack in the basement, which is why I have the IR extender. Any thoughts or ideas you folks could provide would be helpful. I do have the CCP software and updated it last night and see the 990 as an option. Thanks!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
There was talk at the beginning of the thread that the screen on the 990 was an OLED, is it or is it an LCD?

I've had a "universal remote" before. Years ago I had the Sony RM-AV2000. It got unweidly to operate. Then I got a Denon receiver and just used it for TV control and the PS3 controller for Blu-rays. I've now got an Nvidia Shield and a Flirc I'm trying to program. I'm thinking it's time to make the jump from separate remotes to a true universal remote.

I've heard there are issues with Harmonys regarding high latency on button pushes. I want something that's instant. Here's what I'd like to control. Can you tell me if the 990 is the right fit?

Denon AVR-3312CI (has serial control,currently main zone, but would like to use the other two)
Sony 2015 TV (He serial control. I hate this thing. Awful banding and slow menu/Android TV)
Sony PS3 (no adapters yet, any recommendations for control including Power?)
nVidia Shield 2018 (I've got the Flirc, just need time to program)
Xfinity HD DVR Cable Box (temp)
Xantec IR Repeater DL85K

I'd like to move to RF control, so I guess that means a base station with the IR output. I don't want macros that are programmed to be lost if someone doesn't have the remote pointed at the IR eye constantly. All my equipment is in a rack in the basement, which is why I have the IR extender. Any thoughts or ideas you folks could provide would be helpful. I do have the CCP software and updated it last night and see the 990 as an option. Thanks!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The 990 has an LCD screen. With an RFX-250 RF receiver and MRF-350 base station, you should be in good shape. That's the setup I have and responsiveness is excellent. Really like this remote.

The MRF-350 has "blaster" capability in addition to individual IR emitters that I've attached to each of my AV components as well as the ISY994i (lights, HVAC, etc).

If you can get by with six hard buttons instead of eight, you might look at the MX-890.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have an mx-980 and the CCP programming. I bought a new desktop computer with Windows 10 v. 1809. With the 1809 version I can still use the CCP but I can't get the Windows Mobile Device Center to download. It works w/ version 1803 which I have on a laptop but version 1809 is something else. I've tried everything available but WMDC isn't going to work with 1809. I'm tired of fighting with WMDC and I'm wondering if I get a MX-990 can I use the 980's CCP to program? I've read that the 990 doesn't use WMDC but how do you download?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't have any experience w/the 980, but have read some posts around issues w/WMDC. I believe the WMDC requirement went away with the MX-990 due to changes in the remote, and CCP will talk to both.

If you have the .ccf file for the MX-980, then CCP should open it natively and then allow you to download it to the MX-990. If that doesn't work, CCP has an import option that should enable you to pull in the 980 config. Not sure if you'll have to tweak anything, but it's doable.

As to download, there's a "Send To Remote" option on the "Communications" tab that downloads the the config to the MX-990. No WMDC intervention required. If you want to send me your .ccf, I'll see if I can import and download it to mine.

·
Administrator
18,431 Posts
Yes, I got frustrated with connecting my 980 & upgraded to a 990. I migrated the same CCP over and the 990 "just works" when plugging it into the USB.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Yes, I got frustrated with connecting my 980 & upgraded to a 990. I migrated the same CCP over and the 990 "just works" when plugging it into the USB.

This. The migration was a little iffy but, after some tweaking I’m pretty happy. And it’s nice not having to re-invent the wheel every time that I need to reprogram.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
My one complain with CCP is the gigantic window it always opens with in a UHD display, and it won't remember the size / position last used. Most other programs don't have that problem.

201 - 220 of 350 Posts