AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any advice on what to set up my macros as for the URC WR7. They talk about MacroPower in the manual and the give some suggestions but i'm not sure. I use only a couple activies as Harmony puts it.

Watch TV

Use Aux (Xbox 360)

DVD

These are really the only ones I might set up. But I"m not sure what I should do, do you assign the macro to the component buttons. The manual suggests adding MacroPower to the ON button and then leaving The system off of individual devices. I guess in the end I really don't know how Macros work outside of Harmony when you have to program them your self.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
It's my understanding that the power macro is the only macro possible on this remote. The similarly priced radio shack 15-100, 133, 134 and 135 have full macro capabilities, up to 15 steps on any key but the device selection buttons, with the capacity for a few dozen macros, give or take. The 133 would work especially well for xbox.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/15520532

It's my understanding that the power macro is the only macro possible on this remote. The similarly priced radio shack 15-100, 133, 134 and 135 have full macro capabilities, up to 15 steps on any key but the device selection buttons, with the capacity for a few dozen macros, give or take. The 133 would work especially well for xbox.

No, the device keys can also hold macros. But its best to put a few pauses as the first steps, making it press and hold macro. So you can enter the device without firing the macro.

All the steps or commands that make up the macro have to be mapped already other keys the remote.

·
Banned
41 Posts
With the WR7, the power on, power off, each component key, and the colored keys can all contain macros (13 total). In addition, each key can have multifunctions by adding a 'delay' at the beginning of the macro. In addition, macros can have cyclic stages (subsequent presses can execute different macros).

Here's my setup:

on - macro TV and AVR power on

off - individual component off, delayed macro TV and AVR power off (pressing off turns the component off, holding off for 1 second turns the component, TV and AVR off)

component keys - macro individual component on, switch to input

colored keys - aspect ratio rotate | multi-stage macro for night/day video setting | multi-stage macro for light setting (dim, off, full) | toggle ceiling fan on/off

I used my main theater remote control to teach the WR7 the discretes so it works *great* as a second-zone remote. I *much* prefer it over any of the Harmonies I've tried, in button layout, functionality and in price. Harmony button layouts are really horrible. If you only need a few macros don't even look twice at a Harmony and program it in the same way that I did.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wow am I glad I found this thread. I just bought a URC-WR7 and had it mostly working, but I was trying to program the 4 My Favorite buttons at the bottom as my activities such as Watch DVR, Watch Apple TV, Watch DVD, and Play Wii. The problem with this was that the last step of the macro, which was to actually select the component button, was not working. I changed to actually macroing the component buttons which is working much better. Now I can use the My Favorites buttons to map the DVR's A, B, C, D buttons which actually match the colors identically.

Now I just need to find the discreet Samsung LCD ON/OFF codes and program them somehow.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Glad it's working for you. Unfortunately there are no sammy discretes. Even if there were, you'd have to program them into a different remote and teach them to your URC.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was just researching the discrete codes issue. Not sure if my Samsung LN46B550 LCD falls in the "HLN" line, but here are some discrete codes.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...=hlnserieshdtv

Edit: I'm guessing these HLN codes are for older DLP's. I noticed there are no HDMI codes.

Another question about the remote. Can you use the My Favorites buttons to program 4 codes per component, or are you limited to just 4 total?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
There are discrete codes for your TV. URC codes 375 and 515.

The question is how to get them into your remote. You would probably have to have another remote to learn them from.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have another remote (RadioShack 5-in-1) that I could use.

Can't I just program one of these codes into the WR7 using the three-digit code entry method for the TV component?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely /forum/post/17668478

Can't I just program one of these codes into the WR7 using the three-digit code entry method for the TV component?

You probably could but I am not sure if it would map the discretes to any of the hard buttons.

Wouldn't hurt to try I guess.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
I stand corrected. I'm glad to finally see samsung add discretes. I didn't know you could enter individual function codes either. If you need to go the learning route, you can add advanced codes for discrete on 001 and discrete off 253 to your radio shack using TV code 0702 (10702) or 0812 (10812). If your radio shack takes 5 digit advanced codes, prepend 00.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will try this tonight.

Do you know if these URC codes include discretes for Component1, Component2, etc?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely /forum/post/17673929

Do you know if these URC codes include discretes for Component1, Component2, etc?

The URC codes do include them but for your remote I am not sure that they would map them to any of the hard keys so you might not have access to them.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Here are the discretes for radio shack:
Code:
Code:
select tv       251
select digital tv       171
select HDMI 1   081
select HDMI 2   030
select HDMI 3   175
select component 1      190
select component 2      061
select PC       073
select AV 1     192
select AV 2     080
DiscreteOn      001
DiscreteOff     253
If you post your remote model, I can tell you exactly which TV device code to use with these.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
TV 0060 is your best bet on the 2103. It's not an exact match, but I think it will work for your purposes. It probably takes 3 digit advanced codes as well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I also tried putting these URC codes (375 and 515) directly into the WR7, but the Power OFF works as a toggle, not a discrete code.

What kind of device is required to get these discrete codes into my WR7?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but what is the difference between the two? The WR7 is advertised with four faves but the buttons and layout are identical.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtommy /forum/post/17737501

Not to hijack the thread but what is the difference between the two? The WR7 is advertised with four faves but the buttons and layout are identical.

The WR7 has updated code library, and way better backlighting.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avJohnny /forum/post/15526559

With the WR7, the power on, power off, each component key, and the colored keys can all contain macros (13 total). In addition, each key can have multifunctions by adding a 'delay' at the beginning of the macro. In addition, macros can have cyclic stages (subsequent presses can execute different macros).

Here's my setup:

on - macro TV and AVR power on

off - individual component off, delayed macro TV and AVR power off (pressing off turns the component off, holding off for 1 second turns the component, TV and AVR off)

component keys - macro individual component on, switch to input

colored keys - aspect ratio rotate | multi-stage macro for night/day video setting | multi-stage macro for light setting (dim, off, full) | toggle ceiling fan on/off

I used my main theater remote control to teach the WR7 the discretes so it works *great* as a second-zone remote. I *much* prefer it over any of the Harmonies I've tried, in button layout, functionality and in price. Harmony button layouts are really horrible. If you only need a few macros don't even look twice at a Harmony and program it in the same way that I did.

I'm programming a WR7 as shown: "System Off" press turns off selected component. If I hold it, it runs through "TV" off, "DVD" off, and "Receiver" off.

The problem is with the "delayed" macro. The initial press turns off the selected component. When the macro cycles through, the selected component (which just got turned off) gets turned back on. Only my Receiver has a discrete off so the others just toggle.

Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts