AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

URC Remote and Harmony Hub in same Theater

1003 Views 11 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  dwander
I have a URC remote with a RF base that I have no issues with it. But I’ve been playing around with a new echo and voice control and having some fun with it. The issue is I’m limited with voice control of the theater with the URC. I ordered a harmony hub with my plan being to use it to turn on/off the projector and the receiver with voice control. That involves having a blaster at the projector and either the hub Itself or a second blaster at the receiver. I’m pretty sure there should be no issue with that. I assume that as I learn the harmony hub I’ll be integrating more and more voice control with the Apple TV, cable, and blu Ray. So then I’d have multiple blasters on those three devices. One for the URC and one for the harmony. I’m curious if there is any reason why this would create issues and or not work at all.
Reactions: 1
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
I have a URC remote with a RF base that I have no issues with it. But I’ve been playing around with a new echo and voice control and having some fun with it. The issue is I’m limited with voice control of the theater with the URC. I ordered a harmony hub with my plan being to use it to turn on/off the projector and the receiver with voice control. That involves having a blaster at the projector and either the hub Itself or a second blaster at the receiver. I’m pretty sure there should be no issue with that. I assume that as I learn the harmony hub I’ll be integrating more and more voice control with the Apple TV, cable, and blu Ray. So then I’d have multiple blasters on those three devices. One for the URC and one for the harmony. I’m curious if there is any reason why this would create issues and or not work at all.

i have both remote. the Harmony has only two slots for extender plus the IR blaster ( i think that is what they call the box). depending on your setup that may work. if your equipment is spread far apart then it will not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i have both remote. the Harmony has only two slots for extender plus the IR blaster ( i think that is what they call the box). depending on your setup that may work. if your equipment is spread far apart then it will not work.

There’s some issues with location. I’ll have to see if it’ll work for everything but that’s secondary to the main goal of being able to turn on the projector and receiver with on voice command. But
Is there anyway to use more than two blasters? Can you split The signal or something?
There’s some issues with location. I’ll have to see if it’ll work for everything but that’s secondary to the main goal of being able to turn on the projector and receiver with on voice command. But

Is there anyway to use more than two blasters? Can you split The signal or something?

I do not know if a splitter would work I have not tried it. you may want to ask in the harmony ultimate thread as their are experts their who can answer that question

So then I’d have multiple blasters on those three devices. One for the URC and one for the harmony. I’m curious if there is any reason why this would create issues and or not work at all.
Sounds like you need a Xantech amplified Connecting Block as seen here. You can connect your URC base station and the Harmony hub to a block. The connections would be in parallel so do not try to use the URC and hub at the same time. Look over the Xantech site, they have many different devices and blocks.

This is how my system is set up, PDF here. You can download the PDF if you like.

The Xantech 390-20 blaster has been discontinued. :(
Sounds like you need a Xantech amplified Connecting Block as seen here. You can connect your URC base station and the Harmony hub to a block. The connections would be in parallel so do not try to use the URC and hub at the same time. Look over the Xantech site, they have many different devices and blocks.

This is how my system is set up, PDF here. You can download the PDF if you like.

Thats interesting. I dont think that would have occurred to me. So basically you wire the URC RF Base and the Harmony Hub IR outs to an IR Block. Wired in parallel. And then run the emitters to the different Components?
Thats interesting. I dont think that would have occurred to me. So basically you wire the URC RF Base and the Harmony Hub IR outs to an IR Block. Wired in parallel. And then run the emitters to the different Components?
Depends on your setup and equipment. I have several emitters attached to some items, some devices accept direct control input via a 3.5mm jack. I have a Xantech 390-20 on a shelf opposite the equipment racks, the 390-20 is a high power IR blaster. I made another simple blaster that I mounted to the ceiling with one IR emitter pointed toward my Sony projector and the other emitter pointed toward my screen masking control system.

I also have a Xantech 490-00 IR receiver mounted in a small plastic box attached to the bottom of my screen masking system. The IR receiver is mounted inside the box with a small hole in front of it, this was done so it would not respond to the 390-20 blaster. I did this so original remotes, if needed, could be used and pointed toward the projector screen.

I have Alexa, Google Mini and Harmony hub but use them in other parts of the house. I use URC MX-980's and find the 980 a much better control solution in the home theater. One button push (macro) and every thing is turned on and read to go.

Most of the above is documented in the PDF.
See less See more
Depends on your setup and equipment. I have several emitters attached to some items, some devices accept direct control input via a 3.5mm jack. I have a Xantech 390-20 on a shelf opposite the equipment racks, the 390-20 is a high power IR blaster. I made another simple blaster that I mounted to the ceiling with one IR emitter pointed toward my Sony projector and the other emitter pointed toward my screen masking control system.

I also have a Xantech 490-00 IR receiver mounted in a small plastic box attached to the bottom of my screen masking system. The IR receiver is mounted inside the box with a small hole in front of it, this was done so it would not respond to the 390-20 blaster. I did this so original remotes, if needed, could be used and pointed toward the projector screen.

I have Alexa, Google Mini and Harmony hub but use them in other parts of the house. I use URC MX-980's and find the 980 a much better control solution in the home theater. One button push (macro) and every thing is turned on and read to go.

Most of the above is documented in the PDF.
I’ll have a similar setup in the end. One emitter for the projector as I don’t need it for the URC, just the harmony. Going to have to play with it when it actually arrives. Was supposed to arrive yesterday but amazon delivered to some other house like 10 minutes away from me so going to have to re-order it.

I do agree with you that URC is great on its own for home theater. The macros work well and make it easy to do one button solutions. I’m just adding the harmony and Alexa just for fun and bc I think it’s cool. I hope i can make it all work but if I couldn’t I would not change out the URC in favor of a harmony remote. Anyway, the diagram is very helpful and I’ll definitely use it when putting it all together.
I’m just adding the harmony and Alexa just for fun and bc I think it’s cool.
Voice control is cool but grows old fast in the home theater. The better half likes the way I have it setup upstairs, as in she says, “Alexa, begin my day” and I have it set to turn on certain lights, the stereo, etc. Have several Z-Wave and ZeeBee items controlled by a Wink hub which is linked to a Amazon Dot and Google Mini.

Several years ago I purchased a iPad II, Global Caché GC-100-12, iRule, Roomie and other mobile apps. Looked real cool with all the graphics and stuff, but that was it. For me, the MX-980 was/is much easier to use.

If my equipment was located so I could not see it then I would procure a MX-5000 because it can do IP control. That way you can see the status of your IP devices on the remote. Not 100% sure of that and currently does not matter to me.

Do you still have that PDF you posted above that shows the way you integrated your URC and Harmony Remote control units? May be helpful with something im working on
Do not have Harmony hub in use with the Xantech but it should work just like the IR receiver, MRF-260 and Global Caché. These three devices are connected in parallel to the Xantech 791-44 making it a wired OR gate. As such only one device should be used at a time, as in do not use two remotes or a remote and Global Caché.

Attachments

Do not have Harmony hub in use with the Xantech but it should work just like the IR receiver, MRF-260 and Global Caché. These three devices are connected in parallel to the Xantech 791-44 making it a wired OR gate. As such only one device should be used at a time, as in do not use two remotes or a remote and Global Caché.
Thanks. The IR repeater that I bought doesn’t have a terminal block. It accepts 3.5mm plug which is meant for an IR receiver. Those seem to use 3 conductor plugs. So when I connected a mono plug from the URC it wouldn’t work. So I’m thinking I need one like Xantech that has a terminal block for the IR in.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.