AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If ANYONE could offer me some assistance, I would be soooo greatly appreciative...

My XG 85 CRT went down in a lightening strike (no surge protector). The Red CRT died (Green and Blue still light). I took it to the local repair place and they told me that there is NO way that lightening could have taken out both the RED CRT Main board AND the CRT as well (although I was watching the projector at the moment of the strike and the CRT went down simultaneously).

So, here are my questions:

1.) How often do the board and the tube go out at the same time? Would it be one or the other? Or would they both go down together naturally?

2.) COULD a lightening strike (or a power surge caused by a lightening strike) bring both of these down?

If ANYONE with a technical background could let me know, it would be a tremendous help to me. I think I have a battle in front of me and I'm pretty sure that I'm not crazy that in the 2 years that I owned this, I Never had a problem once but at the same exact moment that lightening strikes on my block, I instantaneously lose the CRT.

To quote a drunk Dustin Hoffman: Thank you...thank you...thank you.

· Registered
3,895 Posts
TAKE IT TO A REPAIR PLACE THAT KNOWS WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Sorry for the all caps, but the first priority is to get it to a service place where they will not be screwing you out of your insurance by assuming they know what lightning strikes can and can't do.

Lightning can do the weirdest things imaginable, and any tech that says categorically " this couldn't be lightning that caused this problem" is not the tech you want to be dealing with.

· Registered
299 Posts
I agree with Paul. The only absolute is that there are no absolutes. What is the alternative. Your projector was fully functional with the board or the tube blown? The lightning strike just knocked out the other and the processor said, "OK, now I have two components out, time to shut down." The tech you consulted called you a liar, in a round about way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.