AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there Im new on here though Ive been an avforums member for many a moon.

I have an urgent problem with my TXP-46G10 which is the british version of your TCP-G10, we unfortunately dont have advanced gamma controls on our u.k. set, but there is a service menu hex edit hack which enables said menu's


I unfortunately have temporarily paralysed the t.v. by entering an incorrect value by mistake whilst trying to roll back to u.k. default settings, in order to update to the latest 1612 firmware which fixes the xbox360 hdmi flash fault.


If you'd be so kind to offer your help or advice please see below I am in dire need of help with this and I am hoping one of you gentlemen maybe able to help?


Now since I am new on here I am not allowed to instantly url link, so I'll post 3 times as required to enable me to do so.

Please bear with me..thankyou.


Yours hopefully.


Lee Turner.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
621 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help you but can you help me? I would like to perform the "hex hack" on my 2008 model 50PX80A to enable gamma settings. Is it possible?


Can you link me to any threads or websites which detail this hex hack , even if it is for a different model to mine, I'm still very interested to know!!


Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_blue /forum/post/18312834


I'm sorry I can't help you but can you help me? I would like to perform the "hex hack" on my 2008 model 50PX80A to enable gamma settings. Is it possible?


Can you link me to any threads or websites which detail this hex hack , even if it is for a different model to mine, I'm still very interested to know!!


Thank you

Im sorry Im only aware of the HEX hack on the british g10 2009 model.

I'd imagine google is your friend.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeboy2k3 /forum/post/18314800


Im sorry Im only aware of the HEX hack on the british g10 2009 model.

I'd imagine google is your friend.

Did you manage to fix your G10?


In the meantime I found where the gamma values are stored, but only for the VGA input. Unfortunately I cannot find where they are stored for the other inputs, very disappointing



I'm sure there are other PX/PZ 80/800 owners out there who want 2.2 gamma in cinema mode. Any ideas?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_blue /forum/post/18384694


Did you manage to fix your G10?


In the meantime I found where the gamma values are stored, but only for the VGA input. Unfortunately I cannot find where they are stored for the other inputs, very disappointing



I'm sure there are other PX/PZ 80/800 owners out there who want 2.2 gamma in cinema mode. Any ideas?

The hack on the 2009 UK sets was just tricking the set in to 'thinking' it was a European version thus enabling the advanced picture controls in the user menus. To my knowledge nobody has discovered where the actual values for gamma, on the various presets, are stored in the EEPROM.


Presumably you're in Aus from your model number? First you'll have to find out which, if any, markets got advanced controls in the user menus, for other than a PC input, and then we can take it from there



How did you discover they were the values associated with the VGA's gamma by the way?


Cheers


hodg
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodg100 /forum/post/18414968


Presumably you're in Aus from your model number? First you'll have to find out which, if any, markets got advanced controls in the user menus, for other than a PC input, and then we can take it from there

That is an excellent idea. Although, I've got a bad feeling none of the '08 models actually had advanced controls for anything other than VGA input. Time to start downloading manuals


Quote:
Originally Posted by hodg100 /forum/post/18414968


How did you discover they were the values associated with the VGA's gamma by the way?

By taking photos of the memory, then changing gamma in VGA mode, then photographing again and comparing to see where the difference was.


I have since found that the 4 bytes preceding the gamma values are the white balance settings. The trailing 4 bytes, I don't know what they do.


I also found the user picture settings are stored in line D40 onwards, but none of the bytes are for gamma, just contrast, colour, brightness etc.


I am speculating that maybe the big chunk of 0's after the VGA settings are empty slots for advanced settings for the other inputs. But I'm not game enough to start putting things in there.


By the way here are .rtf files of my entire memory contents if you're interested in trying to interpret what is what.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cjdztwzozdg
http://www.mediafire.com/?gkn0kyjmltc
http://www.mediafire.com/?0wbnyzjxtzm


I haven't copied the LSI-data memory yet, because it's huge and would take a very long time to copy. Presumably it stores parameters for the video processor. Could this be where the black level setting is stored?


I did find a memory map at the beginning of the LSI-data memory, stating what is stored and where:


VER_MODEL:0x0

VER_UNION:0x40

VER_COMMON:0x80

MAP:0x100

ATVD:0x260

IPR:0x470

VOP:0x25d0

VOUT:0xa860

ADV_40:0xa880

ADV_44:0xa880

ADV_48:0xa880

ADV_4C:0xa880

ADV_60:0xa880

ADV_64:0xa880

ADV_68:0xa880

ADV_70:0xa880

ADAV_CONTROL:0xa880

ADAV_EQ:0xb350

C_R_PARAMS:0xb4d0

PD1M:0xc380
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_blue /forum/post/18415127


By taking photos of the memory, then changing gamma in VGA mode, then photographing again and comparing to see where the difference was.


I have since found that the 4 bytes preceding the gamma values are the white balance settings. The trailing 4 bytes, I don't know what they do.


I also found the user picture settings are stored in line D40 onwards, but none of the bytes are for gamma, just contrast, colour, brightness etc.

My, you are the patient sort



Ok, what I'll do is take pics of my EEPROM in its 'unhacked' state and then hack and change gamma and try and spot where the change occurs, and to what value of course. How many pages of EEPROM (peaks) are there, I really can't remember -10ish?


EDIT: Ahh so it's in EEPROM (Fake-Eeprom).


You'll have to bear with me on this as my TV is away for repair for black levels
and an AR coating issue. It may be that this will take some time or even that I will be issued a G20 as replacement but, if I do get it back, I'll have a poke around



If any other G10B owners want to step in at this point, feel free..


Cheers


hodg
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodg100 /forum/post/18415174


Ok, what I'll do is take pics of my EEPROM in its 'unhacked' state and then hack and change gamma and try and spot where the change occurs, and to what value of course.

That would be awesome if you could do that! Would you be able to change the gamma for AV1,AV2,HDMI1, and HDMI2, so that we can see where the setting is being stored for those inputs? (those are the inputs I use mostly
)


If you're not already using one, I would recommend using a hex editor (I used hxd - http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Edi...-10891068.html )


and typing it in on your PC, then you can compare files much more easily (Analysis-File Compare-Compare).


Good luck and be careful!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_blue /forum/post/18415241


That would be awesome if you could do that! Would you be able to change the gamma for AV1,AV2,HDMI1, and HDMI2, so that we can see where the setting is being stored for those inputs? (those are the inputs I use mostly
)


If you're not already using one, I would recommend using a hex editor (I used hxd - http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Edi...-10891068.html )


and typing it in on your PC, then you can compare files much more easily (Analysis-File Compare-Compare).


Good luck and be careful!

Will do mate but like I say, it will be a while before I'm in a position to.


Don't worry there was a time recently when I spent more time in the Memory Editor than watching the damn TV



EDIT: How many pages in the Fake-Eeprom?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodg100 /forum/post/18415262


Will do mate but like I say, it will be a while before I'm in a position to.

No worries, as you know I am patient


Quote:
Originally Posted by hodg100 /forum/post/18415262


EDIT: How many pages in the Fake-Eeprom?

22 pages. Everything up to line 800 is just zero's so it's not too bad really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,773 Posts
Hmmm, maybe the voltagesettings for the pixeldrive, that are responsible for the damn rising blacks are coded inton the EEPROM fakes too...


Unfprtunately, I only fucused on the peaks, when my second S10 were new and not the fake-file.. damn!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
Since we're venturing into hacking, the OPTION submenu in service mode interests me - it may be a way to enable features from different regions on different sets (meaning changes WITHOUT messing with the memory editor). Can people from different regions post what you have under that menu, like the Panel-Type and OPT1-OPT2-OPT3 8-bit numbers?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D /forum/post/18417513


Hmmm, maybe the voltagesettings for the pixeldrive, that are responsible for the damn rising blacks are coded inton the EEPROM fakes too...


Unfprtunately, I only fucused on the peaks, when my second S10 were new and not the fake-file.. damn!

I think the "fake eeprom" is the onboard flash memory for storing all the user controllable menu settings such as picture, sound, favourite lists etc. At least that is what I have found from changing user settings and finding differences in there. So I would say the black level setting is probably not in there.


The "peaks eeprom" seems to be for storing master settings like TV region, service menu settings and default settings when resetting the TV (I found default picture settings in there).


The "stby eeprom" is anyone's guess, maybe it's memory for while the TV is in standby. It's considerably smaller compared to the other two.


I believe the "LSI data" might be where the black level is stored, based on what is specified in the memory map on line 100. But the problem is we don't really know what any of the data means, converting it to ASCII reveals nothing but it is clear they are a bunch of variables such as "xx = xx" etc.


I think we really need someone to do a before and after of the "LSI data". That would take ages though.


Or we need someone with insider knowledge of what the LSI data is to tell us which block it is likely to be in based on the names in the memory map that I posted previously.


Maybe D-Nice would know, or know somebody that knows?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD /forum/post/18417794


Can people from different regions post what you have under that menu, like the Panel-Type and OPT1-OPT2-OPT3 8-bit numbers?

Here's my option bits. This is for an Australian model TH-50PX80A.


OPT1 1000 1000

OPT2 0010 0010

OPT3 0000 0000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D /forum/post/18417513


Hmmm, maybe the voltagesettings for the pixeldrive, that are responsible for the damn rising blacks are coded inton the EEPROM fakes too...


Unfprtunately, I only fucused on the peaks, when my second S10 were new and not the fake-file.. damn!

Hey Marc


What, you mean you've not removed one of the coils from the P Board yet?



As you know my G10 is on holiday, do you think you could find the time to have a look see, for the gamma value(s), on your S10?


I will try and get a few UK people to help but it's difficult on AVF as we're not allowed to really talk about specifics



Prost


Mark
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
621 Posts
Someone from the German hi-fi forum has uploaded their S10E's fake eeprom with the advanced menu unlocked on it ( link ). I compared it with my PX80A's memory to see how it is storing the gamma settings for the advanced menu. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a correlation between the two. The S10E's memory is formatted differently and it doesn't appear to be stored in the same location, or even near the same location as my 50PX80A.


Looking at the structure of the S10E's fake eeprom, I suspect it might be using lines 12B0 to 1300 to store the gamma setting for the advanced menus (note all the 01's). But this is just a guess.


So what now? Well, I figure the gamma setting has to be stored somewhere in memory, right? The TV has to keep a record of which gamma is used for each picture mode. I'm going to start looking in the Peaks eeprom again, as other interesting picture settings have been found there, such as colour gamut and video processing.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top