AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm about to buy a new TV and I need your help. There are just to many and I can't decide which one to get. I'm looking for one that will get me best image quality for the price. I don't know weather to get plasma or LCD.

So these are the two that I'm looking at right now:

SYNTAX LT32HV Black 32"

SAMSUNG PPM42M5S Black 42"

I need your imidiate help and any input that you can give me. From those two which one would give me better image quality for watching TV, DVD, and Xbox360/PS3.

Or if you guys think that noone of those are that good can you suggest anything else from the NewEgg that is in the same price range.

I'm about to pull the triger on the Syntax TV cause it has such a great specs.

What do you guys think, need help right away!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the LT32HV and it's not a bad set...if you've never seen high definition picture before, it will blow you away...but, it does need tweaking out of the box...and it doesn't have separate color memories (RGB) for each input. That's not much of a problem though. The DVI and VGA is a nice touch too, but they share an audio input port...which is not that good. Unfortunately, it doesn't have HDMI, butfor the price, it really performs well...

The problem is, regular TV will either be stretched or with side bars and it won't look as good as it used to. If you buy it just for regular TV, you might be a little disappointed. And the base is so wide, you need a surface at least as big as the diagonal size of the TV (32") or the little feet will stick out.

As for the other set, I have no idea.

If you want, look at some reviews on Amazon. There are a few which are very detailed, honest, and useful.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I think when I am in a hurry I make worse decisions than when I take my time...why dont you do a little more research and reading?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa4
I think when I am in a hurry I make worse decisions than when I take my time...why dont you do a little more research and reading?
I did and for my budget those two match what I'm looking for. I'm only trying to figure out which one will have better image quality for TV, DVD's and mostly Xbox360 and PS3.

The plasma one has awsome contrast ratio but it runs on a small resolution. The LCD one has lower contrast ratio like every other LCD which is at 1200:1, not to bad for the LCD and the rest of the specs are amazing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I play my Xbox using the component input on the Olevia...and it's really amazing. The problem with current games is that there is no anti-aliasing, so raggedy edges ARE noticeable, but playing video games like Ninja Gaiden, and Halo 2 is breath-taking. As for Xbox 360 and PS3...if you want to play the PS3 using HDMI (the inclusion of which at launch is doubtful) then you need to look elsewhere. I'm sure that they'll be component input as well though. But the Xbox 360 has two options for high-def games...the component cables, and the VGA cables...and the Olevia has both VGA and component connection.

DVD's look really good on the Olevia sets, but you have to keep in mind that there is a little overscan (except on the DVI port, which has overscan of 0). For the Olevias, adjusting overscan is either impossible, or the best well-kept secret next to the formula for Coca Cola. So, some of the sides and top of some movies will get cut off. Thing is, if you've watched DVDs on TVs most of your life, you wouldn't notice anything like that. But if you've been watching on your computer, it might bug you a little bit.

Anyhow, HDTV is incredible...regular TV is a little disappointing. If you get HDTV, if you can, and you look at some of the programs, you won't be able to go back to regular TV, and that's either a curse or a blessing, whichever way you look at it.

I find the resolution on the LCD very good...and it's a lot less susceptible to burn-in like plasma TVs. Then again, I am a little biased because I own one. The plasma might be just as good, so the final choice is up to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.