AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 6 month old F38310 was not on during a recent power outage. It was on standby mode with the fans running. Since the power outage, there has been no picture and no menu. The green light would come on and I can hear the fans. This is not the same problems of high pitched whine, 'dirty finger prints', and pixelations that other talked about regarding the capcitors. The only RCA tech in this town has never seen this TV and has no clue what to do. Please help! Thanks!

Pete

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I left it unplugged for 1, 8, 24 hrs. It's still doing the same thing. I've tried pressing power & decreasing channel buttons simultaneously , as described in the manual with no result. It seems hopeless.

Pete

·
Registered
697 Posts
Sounds like the cap and diode problem. If you havent yet I would search this forum for the threads pertaining to this and maybe even print them out for your RCA tech. They should explain everything he needs to know. RCA should also have lots of documentaion on this for him. By the way. The cap and diode problem can be fixed in the home.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Last May, my F38310 failed due to a power outage/surge. Like yours, mine was not on at the time. One thing you did not specify in your post was whether you have audio. After the outage/surge, everything was fine with the exception of no picture. I contracted with a local TV repair shop. My problem wound up being a damaged power regulator circuit board ($329) and a damaged horizontal deflection circuit board ($298). My service plan covered the cost.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both the picture and audio were gone. The only thing I could hear was the fans. The green light comes on when I push the power button. The TV was plugged into a surge protector strip.

·
Registered
68 Posts
THis is the part where you wish you would have listened to that ccity employee about how the manufacturers warranty doesnt cover surge. 38310 here, with a service contract. Already used once and only had my TV for 6 months. Sorry luv, looks like an in-home tech is the only solution; unless you want to cart that 250 pound bad boy to your local AV repair shop.

Oh and how many joules of protection did the surge strip offer?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Munky,

I do have a 3 yr extended warranty, a first for me. Like so many here, I know the potential problems are many. I can't remember the Joule rating on the surge protector, but I plan to get a better one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.