AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
urgent help required:

I am based in India and have imported a US model 863. Yamaha has rated its power at 400w. Can I use a 500w step down transformer for it? I hope 400w is the max power consumption of the Yamaha.

Please help asap as I have to buy the transformer by today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar1630 /forum/post/18158760


Can I use a 500w step down transformer for it?
400W is the AVERAGE power consumed by the 863.


The MAXIMUM power consumption of the unit is 850W !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar1630 /forum/post/18158760


urgent help required:

I am based in India and have imported a US model 863. Yamaha has rated its power at 400w. Can I use a 500w step down transformer for it? I hope 400w is the max power consumption of the Yamaha.

Please help asap as I have to buy the transformer by today.

What are you trying to do? Why do you need a step down transformer at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18160274


What are you trying to do? Why do you need a step down transformer at all?

In India, the voltage supplied is 230v. US has 120v. Products imported from the US, such as amps, receivers require a step-down transformer to provide 120v to the appliance instead of 230v.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zervinb /forum/post/18160357


In India, the voltage supplied is 230v. US has 120v. Products imported from the US, such as amps, receivers require a step-down transformer to provide 120v to the appliance instead of 230v.

Be careful..

The AC power line system in India is poorly regulated, and though its nominal value is 230V we often have found this can go as high as 255V...



When running a step-down transformer 230V > 120V, be sure to get a high wattage one plus double check its max ratings as it may put out up to 135V into the Yamaha. This will likely void the warranty.


Frankly speaking, I would purchase an AVR export version that is designed for India.. Then it can handle the proper video formats, languages and AM/FM tuner spacings.


Just my $0.01..
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top