AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I'm suddenly and unexpectedly in need of a pre pro to replace my Onkyo SC886 which I purchased when they had the great "refurb" deal going at Shop Onkyo almost exactly two years ago. Since the cost was so inexpensive, I truly purchased it to hold me over until someone produced a better, well made, fully functional and hopefully upgradeable pre/pro worth spending the complete budget on. Well, I waited and nothing really delivered on that with all of the current technologies implemented. So I was fine continuing to wait while things sorted themselves out. The 886 served the purpose for the moment.


All that went out the window when, last weekend, I transported my 886 to a friends to help him troubleshoot his home theater system. On the way home, something I had eaten for lunch earlier in the day apparently caused my system a sudden need to expell it, so I spent a fair bit of time in a restaurant restroom. Upon returning to my car, I found the passengers side window smashed in, and my backpack (including my iPhone), and the Onkyo all long gone.



This is unfortunate on a number of fronts. And extremely frustrating given that I'm sure that whoever took it does not even know what a pre/pro is. Also, my insurance will only cover reimbursement for the original purchase price, which was very low. And now, I am faced with suddenly finding the available funds to replace the unit with something worthwhile. Obviously, I want something that would be an upgrade over what I had been using given what I will likely be spending.


My needs for a pre/pro are 90% HDTV viewing, and films and concerts, on Blu Ray. The remaining 10%, at best, is occasional multi channel music.


The Marantz AV7500 would seem to be an option but having read through countless pages of that thread, a number of seemingly knowledgeable people who have owned them seem to feel they are equalled in sound quality by relatively inexpensive receivers they have compared them to and/or also owned. And if I understood correctly, they are either not currently available or are at least backordered for a significant period of time.


I also read a very positive review in Home Theater magazine approximately six months ago about the Rotel RSP150, but the only information here in the forums about that product, was a thread of posts by people whose units had failed.


I would have even considered spending more to go with the NAD M15HD because of build quality and upgradeability, but not with the significant omissions they have still not resolved on that unit, after all this time. And upgrades still yet to be realized.



I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and recommendations. I am currently getting by with a Sony 5300ES receiver as a pre/pro to at least remain functional. Thankfully, I've been out of town on business most of the week so the need for home theater has not been great.



John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark /forum/post/20878331


As the title says, I'm suddenly and unexpectedly in need of a pre pro to replace my Onkyo SC886 which I purchased when they had the great "refurb" deal going at Shop Onkyo almost exactly two years ago. Since the cost was so inexpensive, I truly purchased it to hold me over until someone produced a better, well made, fully functional and hopefully upgradeable pre/pro worth spending the complete budget on. Well, I waited and nothing really delivered on that with all of the current technologies implemented. So I was fine continuing to wait while things sorted themselves out. The 886 served the purpose for the moment.


All that went out the window when, last weekend, I transported my 886 to a friends to help him troubleshoot his home theater system. On the way home, something I had eaten for lunch earlier in the day apparently caused my system a sudden need to expell it, so I spent a fair bit of time in a restaurant restroom. Upon returning to my car, I found the passengers side window smashed in, and my backpack (including my iPhone), and the Onkyo all long gone.



This is unfortunate on a number of fronts. And extremely frustrating given that I'm sure that whoever took it does not even know what a pre/pro is. Also, my insurance will only cover reimbursement for the original purchase price, which was very low. And now, I am faced with suddenly finding the available funds to replace the unit with something worthwhile. Obviously, I want something that would be an upgrade over what I had been using given what I will likely be spending.


My needs for a pre/pro are 90% HDTV viewing, and films and concerts, on Blu Ray. The remaining 10%, at best, is occasional multi channel music.


The Marantz AV7500 would seem to be an option but having read through countless pages of that thread, a number of seemingly knowledgeable people who have owned them seem to feel they are equalled in sound quality by relatively inexpensive receivers they have compared them to and/or also owned. And if I understood correctly, they are either not currently available or are at least backordered for a significant period of time.


I also read a very positive review in Home Theater magazine approximately six months ago about the Rotel RSP150, but the only information here in the forums about that product, was a thread of posts by people whose units had failed.


I would have even considered spending more to go with the NAD M15HD because of build quality and upgradeability, but not with the significant omissions they have still not resolved on that unit, after all this time. And upgrades still yet to be realized.



I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and recommendations. I am currently getting by with a Sony 5300ES receiver as a pre/pro to at least remain functional. Thankfully, I've been out of town on business most of the week so the need for home theater has not been great.



John

You might want to wait a few weeks as the Cedia show is in 2 weeks and it is where all new stuff will be announced. Onkyo and Integra are both showing their new prepros there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, with everything else happening, I had forgotten that it was about to take place.



John


Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez /forum/post/20879069


You might want to wait a few weeks as the Cedia show is in 2 weeks and it is where all new stuff will be announced. Onkyo and Integra are both showing their new prepros there.
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,748 Posts
After reading of the theft of your 886 I'm left with the vision of some dumb thief trying to get sound out of what for all the world looks like a receiver to him/her.


Sorry about your loss - too bad.


Anyway - since you seemed to like the 886 why not try locating a good used one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/20879107


After reading of the theft of your 886 I'm left with the vision of some dumb thief trying to get sound out of what for all the world looks like a receiver to him/her.


Sorry about your loss - too bad.


Anyway - since you seemed to like the 886 why not try locating a good used one?

I am also sure that the thief will try to deal with this as a receiver, unfortunately. The 886 was a stopgap solution. If I am going to spend the money now, I want something that clearly exceeds it.



John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez /forum/post/20879069


You might want to wait a few weeks as the Cedia show is in 2 weeks and it is where all new stuff will be announced. Onkyo and Integra are both showing their new prepros there.

Any word on other pre-pro's that might be making their appearance there? I can get by for maybe a few weeks, but will need something thats actually available to purchase at that point.



John
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,748 Posts
In the $2500 and under range there isn't all that many pre/pros. Onkyo makes the very good 5509 - Integra has the 80.2 - Marantz has the AV7005 - Denon makes nothing in that price-range and Emotiva has their basement bargain UMC-1 which by most user accounts is still full of bugs after being released nearly 2 years ago. It's closeout price of $499 is the only thing attractive about it IMO. Since I have better than that (Integra DHC 40.1) I'd pass on it.


As for other manufacturers I'm not very familiar with them but they all seem to be well over your budget range.


If you don't mind using an AVR as a prepro on a full time basis there are many very good AVRs and they are cheaper than most prepros with similar features all things considered - since they put them on sale towards the end of the product life - unlike prepros. An Onkyo NR5008 (refurbished) is every bit as competent as any of the prepros. And relatively cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I am going through the same decision-making process. I am curious to know what you decided and why. What information or tips did you dig up in your research? I am comparing the RSP-1572 and the AV-7005 but have not looked into the Integra, yet.


I just posted in the RSP-1752 thread...awaiting feedback there, too.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top