AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I got Acer H7530d from Newegg along with mount. Unfortunately the screws that came with mount are not compatible with projector so I went to lowes and bought screws that will go on base on projector. Unfortunately in my enthusiasm I broke one of the screw inside projectors base while trying to mount it. Attached is image of how it looks. Is there any way I can get this screw out so I can put new screw in ? Please help I literally screwed this one.

https://picasaweb.google.com/mehuljo...eat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/mehuljo...eat=directlink

·
Registered
278 Posts
That should be easy to get with a simple screw extractor...

Get them at any hardware store. A Google search or included instructions will show you how to use it.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
They are also called "Easy-Outs". Be sure to get one that is small enough.

They are also available at some drug stores (CVS or Walgreens) as Alden "GrabIt" (in the "Advertised on TV" isle, see www.aldn.com also). The problem is to find one that is small enough for the screw size.

Those small sized screws won't take a lot of torque, which is probably why you broke one. They only have to be "snug", not "as tight as possible". You likely bottomed the screw.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your help give it a try. If I could not take out screw for any reason what is other alternative ?

·
Registered
278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoshi /forum/post/20173495

Thanks guys for your help give it a try. If I could not take out screw for any reason what is other alternative ?

Worse case scenario would be to drill and tap, but you shouldn't have any trouble getting that out. If you're concerned or not very handy with tools take it to a local mechanic (more likely to have the extractor) or repair shop, and they can do it for you.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Which ever route you take (e-z out or drill and tap) you'll want to ensure none of the shavings from the screw get into your projector. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck the shavings (or any "crap") that is created in the removal.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The thing about using an easy-out on that one is that you'll need to drill a hole in the bolt remnant to put the easy-out into, and drilling straight into a small one like that takes pretty good skills to avoid having the drill bit mess the threads in the hole.

I'd take it somewhere if you have ANY hesitation.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs /forum/post/20175482

The thing about using an easy-out on that one is that you'll need to drill a hole in the bolt remnant to put the easy-out into, and drilling straight into a small one like that takes pretty good skills to avoid having the drill bit mess the threads in the hole.

I'd take it somewhere if you have ANY hesitation.

What place that would be ?

I got this from local sears
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G10

And after giving it a try I'm still not able to get it out anywhere. It is not working for me. It seems like this will work only if the screw head has been broken. It will not work if screw itself is broken half inside.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That Sears kit is as good as any unless your screw is too small for it's small sized bit, but you've got to be able to drill straight into the broken screw. It'd be near necessary to use a drill press (I wouldn't try it without the press) and have the piece perfectly set up and securely held. The hole has to be aligned to the bit center. Trying to do it by hand will just result in the bit going sideways because it slips off of the broken surface irregularities of the screw.

Thing like this can get very frustrating very quickly, and frustration will end in a ruined hole with a broken screw still in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich /forum/post/20177821

take it to a machine shop

Yeah, a machine shop if you've got an old fashioned shop in town.

You need the kind of place that has someone who's willing to take a few minutes to help you out for a few bucks or for nothing. Ask around.

Maybe the Sears auto department if there is one, or an auto parts store that has a machine shop in back.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs
That Sears kit is as good as any unless your screw is too small for it's small sized bit, but you've got to be able to drill straight into the broken screw. It'd be near necessary to use a drill press (I wouldn't try it without the press) and have the piece perfectly set up and securely held. The hole has to be aligned to the bit center. Trying to do it by hand will just result in the bit going sideways because it slips off of the broken surface irregularities of the screw.

Thing like this can get very frustrating very quickly, and frustration will end in a ruined hole with a broken screw still in it.

Yeah, a machine shop if you've got an old fashioned shop in town.

You need the kind of place that has someone who's willing to take a few minutes to help you out for a few bucks or for nothing. Ask around.

Maybe the Sears auto department if there is one, or an auto parts store that has a machine shop in back.
Okay you are absolutely right, I give up on this one. I took to a machine shop in neighbourhood but person was not willing to even give it a try. Checked local sears but of no help so you can say it is no go. Now as a replacement solution does anybody know of a good ceiling mount that will be of a clamp style i.e. something that grabs projector from sides and allows to mount it ? Its been more than week running after this and now I'm frustrated.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
mjoshi -- I have my doubts. For ceiling mounting of a DLP PJ (with a fixed offset), you need to mount the PJ upside-down. That mount is for mounting a PJ, right-side up, and can only be used with LCD PJs that have a vertical lens shift capability.

You need to find another machine shop. Maybe your local Sears store can recommend one (or try the "Yellow Pages"). You can call them and ask. It sounds like that local machine shop didn't want the job.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe /forum/post/20198899

mjoshi -- I have my doubts. For ceiling mounting of a DLP PJ (with a fixed offset), you need to mount the PJ upside-down. That mount is for mounting a PJ, right-side up, and can only be used with LCD PJs that have a vertical lens shift capability.

You need to find another machine shop. Maybe your local Sears store can recommend one (or try the "Yellow Pages"). You can call them and ask. It sounds like that local machine shop didn't want the job.

Thanks for your clarification but the description on page says following..

"There is no need of any mounting screws on the projector. Just sit the projector on the tray in the up-right position, or upside down position, then tight the bracket to hold the projector. After installation, the projector can be titled up to 15 degree in any direction, and 360 degree swivel to your desire position."

Does that mean it will work ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts