AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some audio problems, and am in need of some suggestions as to what might be causing this. It would not normally be urgent, but I am having a superbowl party in about 7 hours and don't want to have to watch HD superbowl through the TV speakers.

Comcast came and installed my HD cable box, and after they left I hooked up my audio system. After everything was connected, it worked fine. Now the next day I am getting a random buzz out of my speakers. It is most prominent in the left main speaker which is next to my audio rack. If I turn off the receiver I can still hear it through my powered sub.

I have tried...

-Disconnecting and reconnecting all speakers.

-Moving the main speakers to channel B instead of A.

-Disconnecting the sub.

-Moving the left front speaker away from my audio rack.

-Playing audio through the optical from the cable box and dvd player.

-Playing audio from the tuner.

It sounds like I pressed the test button...you know the one that sends a static buzz through the speakers so you can make sure they are all plugged in.

I really really appreciate any help I can get! Sorry about the long post!!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
It is most likely a ground loop and are a royal pain to hunt down. A very short term fix is to get cheater plugs (the 3 prong to 2 prong AC adapters) to lift the ground on any gear that has a 3 prong plug. However, do not use this as a long term fix as there is a very remote chance of getting electrocuted if there is an quipment failure. As far as hunting down ground loops, there are a lot of threads on the subject and searching the forum is your friend.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Try our Hum FAQ in the Audio Theory, Setup and Chat forum.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
zmzmsix it may be because you live in Ann Arbor Michigan.

GO BUCKEYES

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.