AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Good Guys is having a No Sales Tax sale this weekend, and I also have a 10% off Preferred Customer certificate, so I'd like to buy my parent's an HDTV this weekend.

They've got a HUGE room to put the TV in, so a 65" set is the way to go. I've been browsing these forums recently, and I know the latest buzz is about the Sony Grand Wega and Samsung DLP tvs, but bear in mind my folks are definitely NOT tweakers. They (and I) need/want something that looks good out of the box with minimal fiddling of the consumer level adjustments. ISF tweaking probably will not happen.

For the record, they have a Toshiba dvd player (non prog-scan), and watch 99% of their programing through TiVo & Dish Network. Sacramento does have a lot of HD broadcasting, but the HOA won't allow an external antenna, so we'll be looking at an attic mount or bowtie (and a new HD box, of course).

Are any of the Toshibas or Panasonics or ... in this size range worth getting?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I was particularly impressed with the new Hitachi 65" and its ability to provide a very good display of 480i analog source video, although all I saw was analog cable, no digitally compressed source like TiiVo or direct broadcast satellite.

They make several models. Here is a url for their top-of-the-line unit, with easy navigation from there to their lower-priced siblings:

http://www.hitachi.com/tv/browse/pro...al_index.shtml

Of course, you really must see the candidate sets in action for yourself (with your parents) to be able to pick out the ones you prefer. Spec's alone just don't cover it, and individual preferences definitely vary.

When looking at candidates, ask the sellers to use the types of input sources that you are interested in. Analog noise and artifacts are very different than digital compression artifacts. Those differences are most apparent on a HD large screen.

Have fun working through this.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If you need to buy a HDTV this weekend, than why are you only looking at those TV's?

Panasonic doesn't make good RPTV"s and Sony is not only one of the worst, but priced as if one of the best. Toshiba isn't a bad box, but the other 2 are not good.

If you want to buy a box this weekend, than you should be asking your self this

What is more important

1) Best overall HD picture as it is broadcast right now?

or

2) Will do good HD picture, but not be horrible at analog

2nd question:

Do you watch sports much and if so would having a dual split screen PIP with one or both pictures digital necessary for you?

The Mitsubishi Diamond and Pioneer Elite play the best HD pictures, but the Mitsubishi and Pioneer won't doa split screen PIP with either picture digital and the Mitsubishi is worse than a TV from the 40's in analog mode and the 20 series of Elite is not much better. I haven't seen the new 30 series in analog, and they did add 540p which usually helps analog.

If you want a TV that is good on HD

I see so many people list Sony in this section and as a big Sony tube lover, I can't understand it unless you all work for them, as they clearly make about the worst HD RPT in the market and price like they are not only good, but great. All you have to do is see one and you should never consider one again. What do you possibly like about a horrible off color picture, with grain, shade and lack of true color balance? My 5 year old analog SBX Hitachi looked better on the Dish movie channels than the current XBR does on the same movie in HD. If you really do love a bad picture, that looks like all the Sony's why not buy a really cheap HD and save the money.

Lastly, the Samsung DLP is a nice set, but did you notice that it is overcritical of everything and almost all broadcasts have flaws right now and when that is the case, it looks really really critical? It got on my nerves badly. The Hitachi's low pitch sometimes does that but not as bad and not as often. I don't get the whole DLP deal and burn in doesnt' sell me. My five year old Hitachi had black borders on everything in DVD and I watched them more than 2000 times and still got no burn in, while the new one's are light blue or green and so that is just a scare tactic. Just like when they say Hitachi's burn hot and will lose brightness. My SBX was 38 percent brighter than any set in the world and I sold it 5 years old for 1200 and got 4 buyers in 3 days, all cash, because it never lost a percent of brightness that you could see.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have a 65" Hitachi XWX and like it a lot.

FWIW, you could legally tell your HOA to shove it and put up an antenna anyways, but some things aren't worth the battle. I put one up in the back of my house that you can't see from the front and it works fine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I think my parents' viewing patterns are like this:

Dish Network (via TiVo): 95%

Analog Cable (via TiVo): 4.95%

DVD: 0.04%

HDTV: 0.01% (if/when I get an antenna & STB for them)

So, obviously, a set that does best on analog/SDTV sources is what is needed.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Keep in mind that those viewing habits and preferences will change when true HDTV is available to them. Most folks (including me) find themselves still recording on TiVo or PVR as in the past, but also watching more programs live in HD. The TiVo time-shifted recording serves as back-up in case we were not able to watch live HD. We currently have no means of recording HD at our house.

I repeat: be sure to look at candidate HDTVs with the same types of signals (from Dish, Dish via TiVo, from cable and cable via TiVo) as will be viewed at home. Some folks have been known to take their TiVo to the showroom with them.

Good Luck!! Please keep us posted with your progress and results.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Okay, I have a Hitachi 65SWX20B but stretching a 4:3 image is not it's strong point. Since you watch about 99% Analog cable, why not just get the Toshiba 65HDX82 or the 65H82. They are really good with analog cable and stretch modes.

I got my TV to watch DVDs not cable so I'm happy. However, if I watch more cable, then I would have definitely got the Toshiba.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Addicted Help!!
Sony is not only one of the worst, but priced as if one of the best.

I see so many people list Sony in this section and as a big Sony tube lover, I can't understand it unless you all work for them, as they clearly make about the worst HD RPT in the market and price like they are not only good, but great. All you have to do is see one and you should never consider one again. What do you possibly like about a horrible off color picture, with grain, shade and lack of true color balance? My 5 year old analog SBX Hitachi looked better on the Dish movie channels than the current XBR does on the same movie in HD. If you really do love a bad picture, that looks like all the Sony's why not buy a really cheap HD and save the money.

Really tell us how you really feel about Sony RPTV's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.