Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've got a problem with my Barco

Basically, i had it fired up for about 5 mins, and was rescrewing the screws on one of the tubes back tight after converging, and I heard a high pitched crack, like a static crack...

I looked at the screen, everything as normal... a couple of mins later, not touching the projector, i got the crack again, and then again after a couple of mins. I paniced, and turned it off. then I turned it back on, and crack, it did it agian. still no change in image quality etc...

So i took the cover off, and noticed that the green LED behind the red tube is no longer lit, and the others are.. I switched off the projector, switched it back on, and the LED comes of for a second, and then goes off, and stays off

HELP :(

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Does the high voltage still cracke up?

a few possibilities here:

1) Bad focus block

2) Shorted pix tube (unlikely)

3) Leaking/cracked HV splitter (relatively common)

If you get no HV, then I'll bet a fuse blew due to the arc. You pretty much have to get the set to arc again with the cover off to see where it is coming from.

I'm getting 6 scrap Barco 800's in shortly (2 weeks?) so I should have a parts supply back shortly. I have sent all of by Barco HV parts out to people and have not gotten any back yet.

Curt

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Curt

is there anything I should be looking for

The picture quality is still perfect, I dont know what to do :(

I fear that if I keep using the Barco I could damage it :(

Help!

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Like I said, you have to fire the set up and look for the arc. Without seeing where it is coming from, you'll see nothing with the set off. (pun intended!)

Yes, there is a risk of damage, but just keep your hand on the power cord as you fire it up. That's really all you can do, short of changing everything in the HV section at huge costs.

Curt

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you not ID the problem by checking for LED status?

I'm trying to get a arc, hmmm, what about fuses?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, ran the Barco, it arc'd twice sucsessfully (when you say arc I assume you mean flash and crackle?, alas, it did it twice, in sucsession, and it aint done it again, in over 30mins of play, it didnt do it... when it didnt do it I missed it, was looking the other way :( but i did catch it in my eye and it was central...

The green light behind the Red tube is lit and then goes off, and also, there is a red LED lit behind the red tube on a board, with the number 1060652, it has a massive heatsink on it...

Is there any other info I can give you to make a prognosis docter?

I'm broke (student) and I pray it aint anything expencive...

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I'll bet it is your HV splitter where all 4 red HV leads go into.

I am out, but have more on the way to me as we speak.

Figure on about $150.00 USD incl shipping.

Curt

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, anyway i can look at this HV splitter to confirm your prognosis?

Also, $150USD, remember i'm in Scotland...

your support, as ever, is superb...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bumpy

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
You really need to keep running the set. If you're floor mounted, remove the controller module, and maybe direct a stream of air from a hairdryer over the HV block (from a safe distance of 12" or so). THe extra oxygen will encourage arcing.

As for shipping, the block will be about $30.00 airmail, so add $20.00 to that $150.00 I quoted you.

curt

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will i not damage the Barco doing that? (making it arc)

Can i remove the card and examine it for a crack?

anything else that is likely to go on these 801s data's? (made in 1995)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Curt, tell you what

can I give you an (expencive) phone call :)

if so, i'll need your number and a OK time to call

·
Registered
87 Posts
pegFace :

I doubt you can find any crack on the splitter by eye.

If you can read the part number on the stickers or directly on the splitter, I can check if I have some in my spares (no intent to cut Curt's market, but since i'm in France this might end to be less expensive)...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, as I'm a student, I have very little money, the CRT cost me all my spending money plus a large loan, so any savings would help very much, but i'll do what I have to do to get it working...

I'm going to remove the controller now and look for the arc

Curt will probally be able to tell you the part number for the splitter...

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Hey Marc-Etienne, go ahead and sell him a splitter if you have one. It will be faster and cheaper than from me.

Curt

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you know a lot about my model Marc-Etienne, its a Barco 801s Data, which you can probally tell in the title :)

anyway, i'm gonna do my best to get it to arc, once we ID the fault, we can work on a replacement

Regards

Michael

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've tried so hard to get the controller unit off, but its very tightly screwed in :(

alas, I can see the HV unit below (is it high voltage or horizontal vertical?) with the four red wires going into it

i'll try and get it to arc

the place where it arc's will be the fault source yes?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Erm, I had to unscrew the controller unit and take its lid of in order to losen the screws and get it off, well, its done, and now after putting it together I find I have this small little metal thing, with copper on the end

its like made of paper thin metal, bent into a funny shape

was found by the top of the blue CRT tube, i dont know what its for

HELP

it looks like a P, with the bottom having a copper tag :|

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Curt i'm getting out of my depth

May I contact you over the phone

i would REALLY appreciate it

just a number and a OK time to call