AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any American manufacturers of DVD/CD players?

Creek for example manufactures a CD player using a Philips transport. Not an All-American, and I am not sure if it is actually manufactured in the US of A.

I can find US manufacturers of Amplifiers, Processors, Speakers, Scalers and Cables. Just about any Home theater product has an American manufacturer. But I have yet to find any American manufacturers of DVD/CD players.

I am curious to determine if I can put together an All-American home theater.

· Registered
462 Posts
There are a few US based companies building DVD players. But like most electronics built here in the US they will have parts inside them from all over the world.

It is also my understanding that there are only 2-3 transport manufacturers in the world and they are all oversees.

A few companies who build DVD players here in the US are Krell, Cary and Theta to name a few but you will find foreign parts inside these units.

FYI, Creek is a UK based company that builds most, if not all of their products in the UK.

· Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize that in th eelectronics industry, parts are manufactured all over the world.

I was curious if there were actually any companies in the US that fabricate the units here.

I typed Creek but meant Cary.... From their website they state they use the Philips transport.

So it seems that if I want an American made DVD player I had better be ready to spend big bucks. I am toying with the notion of going to an All-American home theater, but may not be able to afford it.

· Registered
113 Posts
DVD players are very international devices, thankfully. Without the cooperation of companies from the US and all over Asia, DVD technology - if it existed at all - would be technologically inferior and considerably more expensive. If you're looking for DVD players in which the parts were slapped together in the US, you'll be limited to high end boutique players.

· Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am serious about trying to buy from companies that manufacture in the US.

The manufacturing base in the US is quickly eroding. Seems like most everything is manufactured in the far east.

It really bugs me that there is an impression of inferior quality of American made products being "slapped together".

I may be a minority of one, but I do attempt to buy American. My first time buying for a home theater led me to foreign products. Some which are good products and some I wish I had stayed away from. As I upgrade, I am planning to "upgrade the American way". Maybe I can coin a new phrase here.

So if I am limited to Krell, Cary and Theta- so be it.

· Registered
113 Posts
Quote:
The manufacturing base in the US is quickly eroding. Seems like most everything is manufactured in the far east.
Most consumer electronics products are manufactured in the far east, as systems (whereas, for example, lots of the computer chips that go into them are manufactured in the US as well as being designed here). The reason for this is simple. Companies in Asia outcompeted companies in the US by providing a better quality to price ratio. They do a better job at it.

This is, of course, quite a good thing for people in the US. International trade is beneficial due to specialization - each country does primarily what it is good at, producing more products that it can use in those areas of advantage. Each country then sells those surplus goods to the rest of the world at a nice profit. Specialization does the same thing for countries as it does for individuals.

The US, for example, is an information economy. If you look at DVD players, the US is a leading producer of software and design-intensive products (such as decoder chips). Many DVD players are made by taking a US central processor and software stack, putting it together with some US DACs, Korean memory chips, a Korean or Japanese disc drive, and various other international parts, then the overall system and "box design" is done by a Korean or Japanese company, who also does the quality assurance. The actual assembly of the completed product might be done in China.

Everyone does what they're good at and everyone benefits. As an engineer working at a leading US manufacturer of DVD decoder chips, I certainly have no complaints about people not buying players which were physically assemled in the US. Players assembled in China are cheaper, meaning they can be bought by more people, meaning that more decoder chips will be sold, meaning that my (American as it happens) company makes more money. And so do the American Hollywood studios who get to sell more DVDs to a larger DVD market. And the discs are where the real money is in this industry.

Of course, I also have no problem in general with buying things in general from Asian companies. If they can make a better product they've earned it. And if I was going to spend money on charity rather than on quality products, I would choose (for example) the very hard working but fairly poor Chinese engineers, over their much better paid American equivalents.

· Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ian,

Thank you for your comments. I do not totally disagree with your business acumen.

Perhaps I am a bit carried away by the impulse to fight the erosion of the manufacturing base in the US.

I worked for a company that moved its manufacturing to Mexico to lower costs. Other than costing jobs on this side of the border, no actual profits were realized. My only challenge to you is the real reason why products built in the far east are less expensive. I surmise that it is not the non-recurring engineering costs, but the factory labor rates.

Admittedly, I have no experience with far east manufacturing. Although I have had the required classes on Taguchi princples and Demming’s effects on post war Japan.

But, that really does not apply to the hobby of home theater. So I will attempt in my own simple way of finding the best American made products for my use.

So, back to my original question. Are the only American assembled DVD players Krell, Cary and Theta?

Heck, ya’ll, Cary is just up the road a piece from me in North Carolina. I reckon I should meander up thataway and check em out. :) :)

:)

· Registered
505 Posts
Mark,

If you want to contribute to American manufacturing industries and therefore our economy, wouldn't it make more sense to buy American cars and other American made products that aren't way overpriced than profit the boutique player makers like Krell, Cary and Theta, who don't really contribute much to American jobs and our economy in general?

Not saying that those boutique makers don't make good products, but how is paying $8K for a DVD player better than spending the $7K saved w/ a Denon 2900 towards a new American car? Heck, spend that savings towards other American made HT products, if you want to stick w/ just HT for this cause.

_Man_

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.