AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CBS Sports will serve as the host broadcaster producing 3D versions of all Arthur Ashe Stadium matches that it broadcasts in HiDef both on Labor Day Weekend and on Finals Weekend, September 9-11.
http://hollywoodinhidef.com/2011/08/...en-3d-via-cbs/

"ESPN’s multi-platform and worldwide coverage of tennis’ final Grand Slam event of the year -- the US Open from New York August 29 – September 11 -- will include 100 hours in high definition on ESPN2 HD, 420 hours on ESPN3.com’s multi-court offering plus coverage across ESPN’s platforms in the U.S. and around the world.

During the first week of the tournament, ESPN2’s coverage will start at 1 p.m. ET each weekday and will continue nonstop for at least 10 hours through both the day and evening sessions. The latter, Primetime at the US Open presented by IBM, will begin at 7 p.m. and continue until 11 p.m. or when play is concluded, whichever is later. The second week, ESPN2 will have Primetime at the US Open presented by IBM at 7 p.m. on Labor Day Monday, Sept. 5, followed by day-long windows Tuesday – Thursday starting at 11 a.m. All of ESPN2’s telecasts are available online through ESPNnetworks.com, and on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app. Both are accessible to fans who receive their video service from an affiliated provider."

Tennis Channel has 100 hours of coverage.

Their coverage is on during ESPN's coverage.

Night matches air on ESPN2 except for the weekends when coverage is on Tennis Channel.

ESPN2 has the bottom line on just for the 20/50 updates.

Tennis Channel keeps their score bar on.

Both channels are formatting graphics for 16:9.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr /forum/post/20881537

ESPN2 has the bottom line on just for the 20/50 updates.

I for one want to applaud ESPN for no bottom line. A nice and refreshing decision to not clutter the screen. The "Live" graphic is very tight in the upper right corner and more than reasonable in size and simplicity. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen /forum/post/20882692

I for one want to applaud ESPN for no bottom line. A nice and refreshing decision to not clutter the screen. The "Live" graphic is very tight in the upper right corner and more than reasonable in size and simplicity. Thanks.

Agreed, it's a nice clean uncluttered look.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I noticed today ESPN moved the 'Live' graphic to the lower right, just above the ESPN2 graphic. It's a little more noticeable but still relatively unobtrusive.

If one wants to see the difference by having no bottom line, switch to the Tennis Channel's coverage with it's scrolling bar and see how much better ESPN2 looks.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr /forum/post/20886733

For tonight the LIVE bug is on the top right and the LIVE is solid bright text.

It's very annoying and needs to go just above the ESPN2 logo and be more transparent.

I'm not sure why they keep moving it around. I actually like it better in the upper right corner, it seems to blend into the crowd more. A little more transparent would be nice but I can live with it, especially compared to the big logo and scrolling bar on the Tennis Channel.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ESPN2 was showing Marcos Baghdatis vs. John Isner day match that went into nighttime.

They left the match after Isner won the 2nd set then during a studio segment missed the start of Roddick vs Russell at 15-15 when they joined in.

Is TSN showing ESPN2's coverage?

Has the day schedule in the early rounds of previous Opens been going on as the night matches start?

Just seems odd having two matches going on the main courts at the same time.

One other question, does TSN or anyone else outside the USA have access to the IBM sponsored feeds used by ESPN3.com and DirectTV?

I know I've seen replays of the night matches from the IBM feed on Tennis Channel.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Getting some great surround sounds on on CBS. As always picture looks great. Watching on CBS 8/KFMB.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I can't remember CBS having so much weekend coverage dominate their weekend schedule. Nor do I remember CBS starting their weekend coverage so early at 8am PT, but I'm not complaining.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
PQ from the major stadiums via CBS seemed okay yesterday, although it's puzzling why the net webbing seems unresolvable (NYC, TWC). In one stadium it looked like they're shooting 3D from two medium-size paired cameras, while the second major stadium seems to be using one larger camera with (possibly) two paired smaller cameras atop it. If 3D co-delivery isn't somehow diminishing the finer details, read that CBS has finally given in and added a subchannel that might be the cause. -- John

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason
In one stadium it looked like they're shooting 3D from two medium-size paired cameras, while the second major stadium seems to be using one larger camera with (possibly) two paired smaller cameras atop it.
I was just coming here to ask. The lower baseline camera from Ashe (when looking from the upper main wide camera) looks like it has a right extension. From Armstrong, this same camera position looks like there is an additional camera on the left. Are both of these the 3D efforts?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Working the morning here on this holiday and it seems like the scorebox is a tad small on CBS. I noticed when I zoom in it cuts out the irrelavent stuff except for the occasional ticker update on the bottom. But when zoomed in, it places the scorebox perfectly in the lower left hand corner and is much easier to see, especially on the Sprint EVO 4G hooked up via Slingbox.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
The US Open should take a clue from the Australian Open and mute the high piercing noise that resonates when the ball hits the net on serve. Gets very annoying hearing that shrill high-pitched sound 50-100 times per match. Have a little more consideration for people's ears!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I guess there was some issue with the surface on the Armstrong Court and so the Ferrer/Roddick match was moved to Court 13.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Due to the problems after the rain causing Armstrong Court to have water bubbles they are not using it on Friday.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/mat...510562307.html

Roddick and Ferrer returned to Louis Armstrong Stadium and completed two more games on a sunny Thursday morning. With Roddick leading, the No. 21 seed complained about a hairline crack in the court with water bubbling beneath the surface.

"I looked down and saw a little crack with seven or eight nickel sized drops of water on it, but it looked too perfectly placed," said Roddick. "I dried it off, played the next game, went back to play the point and saw it was there again. That's when I realized we had a problem."

The players left the court and returned an hour later after tournament officials patched the surface up, but the job was not to Roddick's liking; water was still seeping from the crack. After much deliberation with tournament official Brian Earley, the players moved to Court 13, a much smaller venue, to complete their match.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.