AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last couple of years, US Sony Music's SACD output has been limited to a couple of "re-performance" SACDs and some RCA Living Stereo SACD titles. Looks like the Living Stereo SACD series is done since no new releases are planned (and I'd encourage SACD fans to pick up these wonderful sounding SACDs). Just now, I received an e-mail from Zenph Studios, which produced the 2 "re-performance" SACDs (Glenn Gould and Art Tatum) with Sony, that its next "re-performance" release, "Rachmaninoff plays Rachmaninoff", will NOT be on SACD. This is apparently Sony's decision, although the e-mail indicated there may be room for negotiations. I guess US Sony Music is done with SACD....which is strange since US Sony Electronics just introduced its new $1,500 CD/SACD player (the 5400ES), not to mention several other manufacturers have announced new Blu-ray players that will include SACD playback.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I continue to buy, when possible, the SACD version of albums I already own, and will continue to do so. It's a shame that these versions are so limited.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
I'm not sure why this is a surprise. Sony "abandoned" it's baby a long time ago. I blame them more then the "Ipod monkeys" who rejected hi-rez so passionately for the format's failure.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I love my SA-CD's but DSD was an ill-conceived and incompatible idea that was doomed from the beginning. If they had made the SA-CD using 96/24 LPCM it would have had a better chance.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
No surprises here, just more disappointment.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion /forum/post/15486437

....which is strange since US Sony Electronics just introduced its new $1,500 CD/SACD player (the 5400ES), not to mention several other manufacturers have announced new Blu-ray players that will include SACD playback.

Sony is like an octopus whose 8 tentacles don't know what the other is doing. All along these tentacles are suckers...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts