AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'll apologize because I'm sure this is the wrong area to ask this question.

I purchased a Panasonic TC-P50S60 in the US to take to Saudi Arabia with me when I move. Someone told me my TV may not work on the cable systems in Saudi because those are likely PAL and my TV is NTSC. I'm just trying to figure out if this is true and if I need to buy a converter. If I need to buy a converter to watch cable TV then do you have any recommendations on converter brand model?

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Unfortunately, it isn't that simple

You need to contact the HR department of the company that's employing you there. They should be able to tell you who to contact to find out exactly what you need.

In most cases,you'll need a "multi-format TV" -- one that can handle NTSC, PAL and SECAM. And that can run off the power there. Those types of TVs are very hard to find in the U.S. It's also better to buy whatever you need in the country where you're going. That way when something fails, you'll be able to get it fixed right away. Otherwise you'll have to ship it back to the U.S. to get it repaired, you'll have to pay the shipping and repairs yourself, and who knows what damage it might suffer in the process.

·
Registered
10,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye9000  /t/1520804/us-tv-overseas-ntsc-and-pal#post_24434433

Thanks but my HR won't know that. Our company is new to the region. I'm likely going to just buy a good PAL to NTSC converter just in case since I already purchased the TV.

Hello, another solution is to buy an external channel receiver (to handle there the signal) and output to the TV 1080i/p with HDMI, but with this solution you will have to use a that receiver's remote control to change the channels.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Interestingly, most external boxes (or those provided by cable operators) can convert PAL broadcast they receive to NTSC signal - no need for a converter but needs to be confirmed prior to purchase and it's mostly digital boxes that can do that....

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte  /t/1520804/us-tv-overseas-ntsc-and-pal#post_24436511

Interestingly, most external boxes (or those provided by cable operators) can convert PAL broadcast they receive to NTSC signal - no need for a converter but needs to be confirmed prior to purchase and it's mostly digital boxes that can do that....

Yes, once the signal will be converted to 720/1080i/p, here is no PAL/NTSC anymore, but the user must check this TV's Power Supply Label, if it's international rated 100-240V, so can work to to any country, maybe it's needed to buy a power convertor for V/Hz also. (Do this before connecting the TV to the power outlet.)

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Panasonic has a 120V/60Hz PSU for sure. In Saudi Arabia You have 127V or 220V and 60Hz. So depending where You live You need a AC/AC converter.

But the main problem is that only video signals with 24Hz and 60Hz are supported by US models.

If You have PAL in Saudi Arabia this is 50Hz. You can't use the build-in tuner and have to use an external decoder, but the conversion from 50Hz to 60Hz will introduce a lot of judder. You would need a video processor like a Lumagen, but even with this You will see some judder.

(I used the Lumagen in the past to convert 50Hz to 60Hz to avoid the 50Hz bug of the Panasonics.)

You are better to buy a TV that is built for Your country otherwise You have nothing but trouble !!

·
Registered
793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1520804/us-tv-overseas-ntsc-and-pal#post_24436529

Yes, once the signal will be converted to 720/1080i/p, here is no PAL/NTSC anymore,

True, but, sadly, aside from composite PAL color encoding problems, US TVs seem to be further restricted by inability to handle 50hz refresh rate even if the signal is digital + HD...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts