AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anyone try to use the BD-ROM with a USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable Adapter? I want to try my LG BD-ROM in my other HTPC. I'm too lazy to open up the entertainment center and the PC case. If it works, it will save a lot of time and I can use the same LG BD-ROM on multiple HTPC.

Here are the photos:

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and another thing too, can Intel P4 3 GHz processor handle blu-ray? The LG BD-ROM works fine on my P4 3.4 GHz. I want to make sure it works on the 3 GHz before I remove it from the HTPC down stair. It is a lot of work to remove it from the entertainment center and the PC case. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys did it work? I also want to follow this method. i have a laptop with core2duo T7500 proc 2.2 ghz and 8600mgt to support Hardware acceleration

·
Registered
398 Posts
Theoretically yes. However, previous experience with USB-IDE adapters taught me that it's hit or miss whether the adapter/drive combo will work without problems on different computers. It will work well with everything on one PC, but on another you may get different issues.

What I ended up doing once I got more computers with SATA controllers is to just run a maximum length SATA and power cable from inside your computer to the drive itself. If you're lucky that the SATA cable is long enough (the power cable can be easily extended, SATA cable has a maximum) to be convinent for you to plug and unplug then it's exactly like having the drive inside your computer.

Also check out the eSATA option which is made exactly for this purpose. I have had no experience with eSATA yet. Perhaps others can help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts