AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has not been brought up in a while, I don't think. Can someone from Replay please comment on when (at least very roughly), we'll get USB supported on our 5000's? I don't dare hope that Alcatraz would do that...

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I heard that it will be worked on immediately following the activation of the FireWire port.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
USB port!?! I thought there was a reason for that dust collecting hole?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I think that the firewire ports in the original ReplayTV and the USB 1.1 port in the 5K series are code name "v" in the ReplayTV development lexicon. And just like in the original 2000 series, will be removed in future series of the 5K. The code name for such removal is "Bursting".

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
The 5k line even has two different USB controllers, up to version 5 used the Agere USS344S

the newer versions use the

NEC PD720101

I haven't even wasted the time to figure out if the two are compatible parts or not. I suspect not... The NEC looks much more robust. =)

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
That's great, they've already upgraded from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 and still

haven't enabled it yet :) Maybe next we'll see that port morph into firewire,

still not being enabled. Talk about doing something just for show :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
OT:

The USB pots on my new Series 2 TiVo seem to work just fine.

Although, I really must put together the curmudgeon's ReplayTV/TiVo comparison. I've seen far too many that try to be constructive to both. I should write mine (that essentially says that they both suck in comprehensive, albeit non-overlapping fashion).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.