Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I got a USB enclosure from ADS Technologies and I put a Lite-on 163 DVD drive in it.

I have extreme stuttering with it, to the point where it is not watchable. It looks like the movie is in slow motion.

What is the determining factor when it comes to DVD Playing for stuttering.

Could it be the USB throughput? Even at 11mbps it should be enough to play a DVD without stutter. I am not sure if my mobo does USB2 or not.

Could it be the CPU? I have a P4 1.5gig with 512 meg of RAM on an ASUS P4B motherboard.

Could it be the that the CPU can't process the USB traffic fast enough for proper replay?

Drivers for the ADS enclosure?

What else can it be?

Here are the details of the machine:

ASUS P4B mobo

512 meg of RAM

120 gig HD

Radeon 8500 64meg

On board sound card

Lite-on DVD Drive Internal

Lite-on DVD Drive through USB 1 enclosure

Using Windows 2000 SP3 and PowerDVD XP 40 with 2817 patch.

Resolution 1024x768 true colors.

Thanks

Sylvain Dumas

·
Registered
304 Posts
USB 1 speed limit is 11mbps = 11 megaBITS per sec = approx 1MB/s = 1 MegaBYTES/sec (remember BYTES = BITS/8, but after USB's overhead it's more like /10) *

Normal DVD-ROM speed (1x) runs at 10MB/s = 10 MegaBYTES/s = 80Mbps

So yeah.. USB1 is starving the DVD bandwidth by a factor of 8.

The quick fix would be to place the DVD drive inside the computer and hook it up to the ATA cable.

But if you insist on an external enclosure, you'll have to switch to USB2 or Firewire. I recommend firewire, since it's less CPU intensive and it'll hook up to a DV camera nicely ;)

*remember that "Mbps" does not equal "MB/s". The former indicates megabits/sec. The latter indicates megabytes/sec. Big difference there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.